Absolute complete novices.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Simon Anderson

Absolute complete novices.

Post by Simon Anderson » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:44 pm

I'm a lawyer whose hobby for the past 4 years has been DJing with a couple of 1210's. I've no musical composition experience, have only just aquired my first Mac in the past week, and have been provided with Ableton 4 as a Christmas present.

At the moment I'm plodding through the tutorials, but am struggling with ideas such as how to arrange a library of clips (in my case audio files) and have as yet to master importing audio files in to the session view!

Are there any other similar novices out there who wish to pair up with me, either via this forum of i Chat?

If you live in Leeds UK and can teach me more rapidly then I would be willing to pay for tuition...

All assistance will be very gratefully appreciated.
Total novice in the field of musical software. My ambition is to become sufficiently competent to play Live as a DJ within 12 month. Realistic?

iskandar

Post by iskandar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:15 pm

im not a lawyer but maybe i can help you..

your at the very start so i suggest getting a book such as

http://www.8thstreet.com/prod.asp?pid=28151

use the search function in the forum as some members have made their own tutorials as well..

fraq

Post by fraq » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:35 am

"and have as yet to master importing audio files in to the session view! "

Hi Simon
I'm not a lawyer either.
But....
to import audio files into the session (or arrange) view simply locate them in the browser on the left hand side and drag them into the track you want to use.
You should definately look at the tutorials that come with Live.

Good luck,
Fraq

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:48 am

not wanting to blow my own trumpet....but i have done this video on how to get full tracks into Live and then warp them so that you can then mix a-la-dj stylee....

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14035

also, search thru the tips forum, that's where i picked up heaps of info in a very short space of time (lots of nice people on these forums!!)

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:56 pm

hi
i've been fiddling about with ableton for about 6 months now and i'm not doing too bad, though probably compared with many people i'm still a beginner. i'm just starting to get my head round midi but with audio i'm not too bad.
i also live in leeds and i also work for a firm of lawyers in the centre, though i'm not actually a lawyer, (i just file their stuff and move their shit about !) so if you want to get in touch and ask questions or whatever then drop a line either through email or through my website or phone or something and i'll do my best to help (and no i wouldnt want paying either). it's up to you. i haven't got a mac though, i got a pc.

minimal

Re: Absolute complete novices.

Post by minimal » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:18 pm

Simon Anderson wrote:
If you live in Leeds UK and can teach me more rapidly then I would be willing to pay for tuition...
seems like we have a rich lawyer here... if you pay me the flight, hotel accomodation annd a couple of chicks I can come up to you and reveal all the secrets of Live.

By the way, just take your time, don't hurry, no one here was able to use live by the first day. The manual is very well done, worth reading it (even if A LOT OF PEOPLE think that this forum is the manual)