::Ableton New Product Speculation Thread::

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:46 pm

ikeaboy wrote:Jesus I mentioned the logo not because i liked the look of it but because it implies that VST midiplugins will be usable you know like arrpegiators, midi delays, step sequencers do you get me now?
yes ikeaboy, and the thought of vst midi outs in Live is... wait for it... neat.

Got you then, get you now.
a.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:51 pm

Time delays really makes a balls of converstions don't they :lol:

logicat2001

Post by logicat2001 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:03 pm

Hardtoe wrote:
Splashmas wrote:Haven't read the whole threat so dunno if anyone's allready said it but...

Please can we have a dj style push/pull control to go with tempo control. Syncing up ableton to external audio (i.e. vinyl) is currently a nightmare and it needn't be.

Apart from that Ableton is the shit! :D
Yo,

You could try highlighting the bpm box and the use your arrow keys to push the bpm up and down by small increments....

Orion
And even better, use SHIFT-ArrowKey to nudge the BPM by 1/10th of a beat.

Best,
Logicat
Logic 7 Pro | MetaSynth | Unix | Live

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:40 pm

FWIW, what I'd like to see is basically the sample warping/envelope automating/pitch shifting portion of live made into its own nifty little sampler VST that I could drop into other apps like Plogue and energyXT...

$0.02,
rs

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:06 am

ryansupak wrote:FWIW, what I'd like to see is basically the sample warping/envelope automating/pitch shifting portion of live made into its own nifty little sampler VST that I could drop into other apps like Plogue and energyXT...

$0.02,
rs
But that would make me ditch it...

-Paws

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:30 am

ok, I'll toss in a speculation... after reading the thread, and peeking around, I land on two likely possibilities based on the available clues... It's a definitely a 'product' called "Operator" (obvious) that is either:

- An FM-based synth device (most likely I think)
OR
- An integrated audio editor (integrated as in a "hear the audio edits in context as you edit them" kind of integrated.....)

or, just to be spooky, both of the above? :)

in one module?? :D

hah!

(And as a bonus "wild speculation", I will add that maybe the trees in the forest graphic are a clue... think "branching"? heheh...),

we'll know in what, about a week? cool..... in the meantime, I will continue chanting, praying, and hoping for Ableton support of the yamaha/steinberg "Studio Connections" initiative... I wanna control Live from my 01X, complete with total recall!!

peace,
tribalogical

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:34 pm

logicat2001 wrote:
Hardtoe wrote:
Splashmas wrote:Haven't read the whole threat so dunno if anyone's allready said it but...

Please can we have a dj style push/pull control to go with tempo control. Syncing up ableton to external audio (i.e. vinyl) is currently a nightmare and it needn't be.

Apart from that Ableton is the shit! :D
Yo,

You could try highlighting the bpm box and the use your arrow keys to push the bpm up and down by small increments....

Orion
And even better, use SHIFT-ArrowKey to nudge the BPM by 1/10th of a beat.

Best,
Logicat
Yep, this is the solution I've been putting up with for now. A proper push-pull which doesn't change the tempo but pushes the track forward/back a little in time is what's needed tho (as used in addition to the pitch adjust in vinyl mixing). You can kinda do this by hitting up then down quickly with the arrow keys, but you can't assign midi buttons to these, you have to select bpm with the mouse first. So not great if you're busy doing other stuff too.

Richie Hawtin has designed a hardware solution- a spring loaded switch which you push to increase tempo which then springs back. Surely a software solution would be fairly elementary though?

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:40 pm

ok, I'll toss in a speculation... after reading the thread, and peeking around, I land on two likely possibilities based on the available clues... It's a definitely a 'product' called "Operator" (obvious) that is either:

- An FM-based synth device (most likely I think)
OR
- An integrated audio editor (integrated as in a "hear the audio edits in context as you edit them" kind of integrated.....)

or, just to be spooky, both of the above?

in one module??
Don't forget the VstMidi.Gif that could only be for Midi Fx!!!!
As the Man said
Neat!

louZ

Post by louZ » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:04 pm

As the Man said
Neat!
yep, vstmidi fx would be kool!
arpeggiheaven :twisted:

jethrosipho

Post by jethrosipho » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:12 pm

Has anyone wondered if maybe the operator and forest gifs are decoys?

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:57 pm

Ah they wouldn't do that to us, would they? :(

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:48 pm

louZ wrote:
As the Man said
Neat!
yep, vstmidi fx would be kool!
arpeggiheaven :twisted:
the only thing is.... this "VstMidi.gif" is also in live version 4.04.... not exclusively new to the v4.05 beta.

don't know exactly where it pops up in 4.04, but maybe it is already representing something in the current version?

midi fx would be very neat indeed though.

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:51 pm

it is there because live already supports midi vst effects like dfx's midi gater.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:06 pm

Right I'm going to check what midi effects i have that work in live and check out that dfx Midigater. Can you tell me where i'd find better than google if not NNTR. Please if anyone else reading this has discovered midi fx that work now, will you post the details, I'm sure i'm not the only one who'd like to know

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:16 pm

well dfx midi gate is not recognized by live as a midi vst fx but it works as one, it is recognized as an audio one (ie, you run it on an audio track).

i know that on my plugin list here in the demo version (4.0.1) on my work pc the frezzzer plugin shows up with that midi vst icon and it works.

what exactly do you people think doesnt work?

are there some midi vst effects out there that you have tried that don't work with live, or are you assuming there is some new breed of plugins on their way.

there is not much difference from a coding/development standpoint in a vst midi effect and a vsti.

are you hoping for vst effects that purely effect midi data then allow that to be routed elsewhere?
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine