Beat slicer-esque?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Abterra

Beat slicer-esque?

Post by Abterra » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:34 pm

Hey guys, tried looking around for this to no avail. I'm looking for a VST plug-in for mac that can take a part of a song, for instance, and "chop-out" rhythmic parts of it. It's hard to explain, imagine a a drum loop that is still playing, but every other 16th note silent.

an audio example, sorry for the link. http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... &page=1621 if you go to "montana next level" it's at exactly -4:26, you can hear what i'm talking about.

Is there anything in VST format for mac that can do this? I have Livecut, but it's not what I'm looking for

thanks a lot in advance,
Tyler

thomas.martinet

Re: Beat slicer-esque?

Post by thomas.martinet » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:42 am

imagine a a drum loop that is still playing, but every other 16th note silent.
You can use the autopan for that.
If you turn down the Phase knob to 0, the autopan modulates amplitude. You can also aproximate a square wave, to get really defined cuts in the signal, by setting the Shape knob to 100%. Either use it in free mode and dial in the rate in Hz, or put it in sync mode and choose which note value suits you.

The live manual section on the autopan explains all of the autopan's functions in great detail.

As for a VST, I don't know of any, but it's not something I've been looking for either,

Hope this Helps,
Thomas

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:07 am

... Uhhh Traktor's 12 maybe??? :roll:

But I think the effect you're looking for you can also achieve with a Gate. Just set the threshold just on the max volume of your sound and then play a little bit with the attack and maybe release till it sounds "snappy" to your liking.
Just place the on/off button of your gate under a key- or midi button to toggle it on/off. Start your loop and jam away ;-)
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:50 am

+1 for autopan if you want to automatically cut out every other 1/16 or whatever. I use it a lot like that.
Gate is handy for giving music a chopped up feeling that still respects the timing and rhythm of the audio. I use it on master outs in livesets when i want to mash it up a bit.
Another means of introducing breaks into music is to use mutes or have a controller mapped to a volume that toggles between two values. You could do this live, or you could record this as automation in the arrange window... lastly you could use clip envelopes to modulate clip volume.

Winklepicker

Post by Winklepicker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:26 pm

You can use gate plug-in w/sidechain, triggering the gate with some MIDI data, if auto-pan is not enough for you.

Abterra

Post by Abterra » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:49 pm

oddstep wrote:+1 for autopan if you want to automatically cut out every other 1/16 or whatever. I use it a lot like that.
Gate is handy for giving music a chopped up feeling that still respects the timing and rhythm of the audio. I use it on master outs in livesets when i want to mash it up a bit.
Another means of introducing breaks into music is to use mutes or have a controller mapped to a volume that toggles between two values. You could do this live, or you could record this as automation in the arrange window... lastly you could use clip envelopes to modulate clip volume.
thank all of you for your replies, I tried the autopan, and although it's not really what I'm looking for, its really great to know it can do this. Definitely trying the gate later!

I have another question. I jam with the APC40, If I were recording a set, would it record me de-activating the clip and activating it again? Similar to hip-hop production when the beat drops out for like some weird bar length and comes back in strong.

Abterra

Post by Abterra » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:51 pm

UnCL0NED wrote:... Uhhh Traktor's 12 maybe??? :roll:
haha yeah, trying not to spend 80 bucks on it, lol.

thomas.martinet

Post by thomas.martinet » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:07 pm

You guys should check out
http://www.cableguys.de/index.html

They let you draw wave shapes for either pan, volume and filter.
Pancake, the pan one is free to boot.

@Tyler,
I've finally gotten around to listening to the NI example, :oops:
it sounds to me like a rhythmic chop with volume automation fade out

As for the APC jam question,
Yes, if you enable global record, then Live will record your set to the Arrange view.
This is a great way to lay down a skeleton for ready for automation and tweaks

cheers