PC user going to Mac, Help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mayabong

PC user going to Mac, Help

Post by mayabong » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Ok as a pc user for many years I've just gotten used to occasional(or more than occasional) freezups and occassional hard reboots as the norm every once in a while (or all the time). But now I will take the plunge into the MAC realm. Problem is I don't know much about macs.

Basically what I'm looking for is something that will run Ableton smoothly (thinking about a laptop). Something that will also have no problem recording maybe 8 channels at one time (if i choose to record a band or something.

I know macs can do this. I have the cash, just wanna get some input from the mac pros before I take the plunge.

One of my concerns is the 2 USB ports on the Macbook pro.. would I just use a hub to get more inputs? (I have like 3 things I plug in to my computer)

Anyways any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Mike

Fanu

Re: PC user going to Mac, Help

Post by Fanu » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:50 am

I don't know (and I'm too lazy to look it up) how many USBs the new Macbook Pros have, but at least they had three USB ports in 2008.
I just changed my Macbook 2007 to a MBP 2008, and it has three.
It's solid as heck and definitely enough for Ableton Live-ism.

If you need more, a USB hub will do the trick...I doubt you will need more, though.

One piece of advice, though (and sorry for not going into more detail): *IF* you're planning to use a Firewire soundcard, make 100% sure the firewire chip in the Mac you'll be getting isn't made by Lucent/Agere...as that'll cause lots of problems.
That's the reason I got rid of my Macbook and switched to an early 2008 MBP.
The firewire chips by Texas Instruments are the way to go.

Peace.