Do hardware synths put out audio or MIDI?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChrisMack99

Do hardware synths put out audio or MIDI?

Post by ChrisMack99 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Can I use a hardware synth to create MIDI loops in Ableton, or do I have to record myself playing the synth as audio?

ewistrand

Re: Do hardware synths put out audio or MIDI?

Post by ewistrand » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:39 pm

?

If the synth has a keyboard, it puts out both. That's why there's a MIDI out port, no?

ew

cacti

Post by cacti » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:08 pm

It has midi in/out so you can send midi to your daw to record midi, and the the daw can send the midi back to your synth to trigger the synth.

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:27 pm

But can I also plug the synth into a keyboard amp and just play it?

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Is this a serious question ?
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:56 pm

more and more these days while reading the forum I start wishing there was a "beginner's questions" sub-forum, as you see on many other sites...though this question, being not even ableton live related, is sort of beyond even that, but you know what I mean.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:13 pm

ChrisMack99 wrote:But can I also plug the synth into a keyboard amp and just play it?
You can plug your synth into a keyboard amp and just play it while at the same time you can connect your synth via midi with ableton live and record what you are playing into a midi track inside of live. In this case you have to switch the monitoring of the track in which you want to record to off.
By the way, this is the best method to avoid unwanted latency while playing.
To hear what you have recorded you have to connect your computers midi interface output with the midi input of your keyboard, route lives midi track to the midi port which you have connected with your keyboard and the midi channel on which your keyboard will receive (in doubt, try midi channel 1 at first).

For further information check the manual of live and the manual of your keyboard.

regards, palmer
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:22 am

ChrisMack99 wrote:But can I also plug the synth into a keyboard amp and just play it?
Maybe - might need to plug it into the wall power outlet first tho :p
Nothing to see here - move along!

photonal

Post by photonal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:38 am

Ideally one really ought to pay for the synth in the shop first; that way you can take the synth home and will have more time to access the synth and create your midi loops rather than relying on the shop opening times. It also has the benefit that you don't annoy other customers in the shop with your latest greatest riffs.
Last edited by photonal on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:36 am

Khazul wrote:
Maybe - might need to plug it into the wall power outlet first tho :p
Tsk, Tsk, Khazul - Its this kind of careless, flippant advise that electrocutes electronic music begginers every day. Maybe in thier thousands.... :cry:

:roll: I will now correct:

Plug the 'mains' or 'power' plug into the wall outlet. (This will either have three or two prongs depending on your geographical location)

Do not try and plug the little round thing with a horse-shoe pattern (midi) or the one that looks like a small chrome penis (jack plug) into your mains power supply as the results could be catastrophic and maybe even induce unwanted latency to your set up. :D

happy days.