Traktor Kontrol S4 + ableton live

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
alekst1923

Traktor Kontrol S4 + ableton live

Post by alekst1923 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:24 am

hey all, im highly considering getting the Traktor Kontrol S4, however im a bit concerned about how it syncs up with Ableton live 8 for windows. more specifically, how well do they work together for music production? Does anyone use the two in conjunction? Please let me know your thoughts.

szeno

Re: Traktor Kontrol S4 + ableton live

Post by szeno » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:45 pm

bump -
i'm interested in knowing this too

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Well, not sure what you mean. How do you plan on using something like S4 for production? I have one, happy to help answer any questions if I can.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm pretty sure the S4 has a midi mode, I guess you could use it to control stuff in Live if you don't have any other midi controler.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:56 pm

It does have a MIDI mode.

mrpud

Post by mrpud » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi,

What I'd like to know is, can you send the audio from ableton to traktor kontrol s4 internally?
I.E. be mixing in traktor using the kontrol s4 and launch clips from ableton (via novation launchpad) without the need for a secondary soundcard?

Thanks

qlimax33

Post by qlimax33 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:03 pm

I need to know the answer to this..someone please answer or ill have to get the xone 4d

CanYouBarrett?

Post by CanYouBarrett? » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 pm

I know you can route traktors mixers to ableton and from there you can midi sync the two by slaving ableton. I wish I knew and will continue searching how to send traktor's output (so I can use the built in eq's) internally to a virtual port and access it in ableton and then use abletons output as the S4's soundcard. I'm on mac so I think there is a virtual sound card port thing called jack osx or something. Windows it can be done.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:56 pm

Very interested in this, too. I notice in the past that I've never seen "yes! These 2 programs sync and work well together."

So I presume they do not.

I think it would be refreshing and economical to control my stems via S4 DJ-stylee instead of using scenes and a BCF. Just wish there were a few more inputs into S4 (enough for 2 mics and a stereo input). And that it would sync with Live.

Was wonderig if it's reasonable to think about 2 tracks of drum stems via the decks, and then a bass track and keyboard track via the 2 sampler decks. Is there a way to load all four at once for a song? Then, instead of scenes using Live, I could use cue points and the different sample buttons to switch parts of the song.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:00 am

On a PC, your first headche is going to be getting internal audio and midi working. On OSX this is all quite easy. For internal midi between apps, the google for loop1be and receiving midi into live, then use direct music music midi mode for the clock out of tractor. I've all found I works better this way, but that because I use vinyl control for master tempo anyway, but then I'm running audio out of live through a djm800 and then also have live plumbed into the fx send and return on the djm so that live can also act as an fx processor for anything going through the mixer - just use the timecode control in tractor to sync it to a CD or vinyl when I need to.

With an S4, probably easier to send a clock out of live to traktor via loop1be port. For routing the audio - no idea wha to use on windows for ASIO between apps. On OSX then soundflower does the job well enough.

Alternatively maybe the S4 audio is multi client ASIO just like other NI audio interfaces so you might find it jus easier not to route audio between them and instead have both apps sending their audio to the S4.

Think the right response here is "get a mac" ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!