Axiom vs Axiom Advanced ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
projoosa

Axiom vs Axiom Advanced ?

Post by projoosa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:03 pm

Im looking at getting a 61 key midi keyboard and I can see Thomann have an Axiom 61 and Axiom 61 Advanced (100GBP more expensive). Does anyone know what you get for an extra 100 pounds ? Is it worth the difference ? The descriptions seem vague and M-Audio only show one type of Axiom 61 on their site...

Wunjo

Re: Axiom vs Axiom Advanced ?

Post by Wunjo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:23 pm

I too am curious about the Axiom's. Particularly the Axiom Pro. Does anybody have any comments about the key and pad response? The sole reason I stuck with the MPK is the way the keys feel. They have that quick bounce-back. But I like the features on the Axiom Pro as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

esky

Post by esky » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:03 pm

I think the new one has an automapping function like the pro. The pro, compared to the old axiom, has better quality knobs and the automapping.
The keyboard is the same i'd say. I bought the old Axiom a few weeks ago and i like it very much. A bit tricky to programm first, but now its a doing great...

dancerchris

Post by dancerchris » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:53 pm

I have an axiom 49, which I purchased for its MIDI multicontroller capabilities. The keyboard is terrible for a 'player' but okay enough to do midi entry (with quantizing). I do have a Yamaha S08 which has a far superior keyboard and wish I had spent my money on a separate set of sliders and transport controls only (which is what I mainly use it for). To but it bluntly, it does a lot of things, but it does them poorly. So if your actually questioning the quality of the keyboard then it's probably not for you.

My $0.02
Live 8.4.2 / Win 8 Pro 64 bit / Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ / 8 Gb ram
Presonus Firepod / Axiom 49 / PadKontrol
Various guitars, keyboards, sax and friends

Wunjo

Post by Wunjo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:27 pm

dancerchris wrote:I have an axiom 49, which I purchased for its MIDI multicontroller capabilities. The keyboard is terrible for a 'player' but okay enough to do midi entry (with quantizing). I do have a Yamaha S08 which has a far superior keyboard and wish I had spent my money on a separate set of sliders and transport controls only (which is what I mainly use it for). To but it bluntly, it does a lot of things, but it does them poorly. So if your actually questioning the quality of the keyboard then it's probably not for you.

My $0.02
Thanks chris that's just what I was afraid of. The axiom pro is pretty sexy looking but a nightmare to work with. Kind of like a lot of women I know haha. So does anyone have any experience with the PadKontrol and it's pad/xy-grid responsiveness? I wanted to go for the nanokontrol but read a lot of bad shit about the life expectancy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:09 pm

I would place them in this order best to last
MPK 88
Axiom Pro 49,61
MPK 49,61
Axiom 49,61

Fades and pots on the original Axiom (non pro) are crap.

I've had all 4 of them at some point. currently sporting the 88.

yup yup

Post by yup yup » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:08 am

i would find out if they have resolved the BSOD issue before spending a cent on an axiom.... [blue screen of death] a search will show many unhappy customers..... i am one of them. good luck.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:12 am

yup yup wrote:i would find out if they have resolved the BSOD issue before spending a cent on an axiom.... [blue screen of death] a search will show many unhappy customers..... i am one of them. good luck.

windows 7 BSOD or XP BSOD?

yup yup

Post by yup yup » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:07 am

axiom BSOD.

with some of these axioms [unsure about the new gen] a day comes when the screen stays blue [with no info displayed] and stays that way. there are reports of this happening after immediate use out of the box, or in my case a year later.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:25 am

yup yup wrote:axiom BSOD.

with some of these axioms [unsure about the new gen] a day comes when the screen stays blue [with no info displayed] and stays that way. there are reports of this happening after immediate use out of the box, or in my case a year later.

did they warranty it out for you or was it too late?

yup yup

Post by yup yup » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:58 am

still just under warranty. has been sent to either be repaired or replaced. still waiting....

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:20 am

yup yup wrote:still just under warranty. has been sent to either be repaired or replaced. still waiting....

i heard that if you told them that you play synths for flight of the conchords....they could speed things up.

Good luck with the repairs on a serious note.

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:25 am

My partner has a M-Audio KeyStation 88, lovely keyboard and loads of knobs and sliders but no pads. It's fkn big tho...

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

gersty

Post by gersty » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:56 am

Don't know much about the "new" axiom 61 or the axiom pro. But i would not recommend the axiom ( I own the older axiom 61 model, doubt the new one is much better). Maybe if you are gonna use it strictly as a midi controller, but as a keyboard i think it is just too flimsy and cheap feeling. The semi weighted keys are ok, and the after touch is pretty cool but if you are going to be using it as a keyboard, weighted keys are the way to go.

As far as i know the only difference between the axiom and axiom pro is hypercontroll... just do a google search on it.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:05 am

Except for a pair of Studiophile AV40s, I have had nothing but problems with every piece of M-Audio gear I've tried.

First tried a Fast Track Pro which I simply could not get to work with my 32-bit Vista laptop without breaking up, so I exchanged it for a Lexicon Lambda which had no problems.

Got an Audio Buddy for some simple preamp/DI work, and it sounded like staticky, digital shit. My $30 ART Studio MP pre blew it out of the water and cost 40% less.

Tried a Trigger Finger and the pads would only register hits on about 30% of the total pad surface, which made it practically useless for laying down any remotely complicated beats. Got a padKontrol instead and it has been better in every way.

Had an Axiom49 for a while, and in addition to the faders being flimsy and imprecise, the endless rotaries being virtually useless (you could make 3-4 full revolutions and not even be at 64 on MIDI parameters), the keys felt plasticky and unresponsive. Traded it for an MPK49 about 6 months ago and haven't looked back. The only thing the Axiom had on the MPK is the layout - if I could have the MPK features and build quality but with the Axiom49 layout, I'd be a happy consumer.

I'm done with M-Audio gear. Seems like way more hype than quality, far as I can tell.