Best Ableton Effects for BOC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
milfhuntr

Best Ableton Effects for BOC

Post by milfhuntr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:16 pm

What are the best few Ableton effects for creating that distant, sunwashed, low-fi, nostalgic sound sometimes heard in Boards of Canada?

Trypset

Re: Best Ableton Effects for BOC

Post by Trypset » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:23 pm

redux is great for lo-fi ness

downsample....if you have an outboard sampler sample to that, then back it....as many times as it takes to get what you want.
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:11 pm

I read in an interview that part of the boc sound is down to bouncing audio between old domestic tape players... i can sort of hear it in their sound. I guess tape's characteristics are lower bandwidth and dynamic range than cd or vinyl plus pitch wobble down to the tension on the tape declining as it ages. Do enough bounces and you'll have a sound with substantial filtering out of low and high frequencies, a compressed mid range and something like a frequency shifter on an lfo.

remute99

Post by remute99 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:16 pm

milfhuntr wrote:What are the best few Ableton effects for creating that distant, sunwashed, low-fi, nostalgic sound sometimes heard in Boards of Canada?
If you're on a PC -
http://www.toneprojects.com/products/pl ... -stx-1260/
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:59 pm

blue oyster cult?

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:18 pm

yeah some nice vocoder at the end of black blade. ;p

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:10 am

record with your samples at 45 rpm and then gradually pitched down until you like it. Then throw a redux instance and do a soft downsample and add either a little bit of auto filter, corpus, or amp to the mix and you should be gold after that.

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:16 am

Don´t know if they use Space Echo but the GS-201 is nice,cheap and noisy.

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=26

esky

Post by esky » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:28 am

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

Check out the effects Nasty VCS and Nasty DLS

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml

Check out the Wow and Flutter plugin

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:00 pm

Lots of good points guys:)

Yeah I hear lot of downsampling, wow & flutter tape effects, slowed down records sampled, grainy saturation & loss of high end that could come from multiple tape dubbing as was mentioned. Also hear a lot of chorus and tape inaccuracy of the space echo/ echoplex variety.

So maybe Redux, Erosion, Chorus, Filter Delay, 2 Auto Filter in a row highpass into lowpass or one in bandpass mode etc.???

Edit: There isn't really a delay w/ modulation in Live so... Maybe make a rack w/ 2 chains, a filter delay and a chorus, map macro to control chorus amount. Then rack that, 2 chains one dry one wet, map the wet/delay amount & maybe the first chorus amount macro again or whatever. I'm probably overthinking this but anyway...

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:06 am

If you're looking to chain something in a delay in Live, you might also try using send effect feedback - start with a 100% wet delay with 0% feedback, add what you want to the chain, then enable the return track to send to itself. Make sure to put a Limiter or Compressor at the tail end of this chain, however, as you'll be getting real (up to 100%) feedback, and you don't want it to clip.

You can see this technique in this Covert Operators tutorial video: http://www.thecovertoperators.org/Videos/dub-delays

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:34 am

To dirty up stuff i´ve made a rack of a little vinyl distortion without crackle, eq 8 cutting some top end, a frequency shifter with a little lfo modulation and the dynamic tube.

Works well i think.

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:10 am

And for a more organic delay you can use the grain delay and set pitch 0.01

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:38 pm

interceptor wrote:To dirty up stuff i´ve made a rack of a little vinyl distortion without crackle, eq 8 cutting some top end, a frequency shifter with a little lfo modulation and the dynamic tube.

Works well i think.
Sounds promising.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:48 pm

it's worth remembering that if you actually achieve "that BOC sound" then all that will happen is people will say "this sounds like BOC".

Personally I hate that sort of thing. If you copy someone well enough then you come off like a second rate artist, a tribute act! It's important to separate liking someone from trying to become them.

So aim to create your own distinctive sound, like they managed to do. Or if you can't do that then at least copy them very, very badly, so people wont just congratulate you on your mimicking skills.