Inst. Hip-hop That Brought Tears to My Eyes (Good Tears)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ScholarlyGent

Inst. Hip-hop That Brought Tears to My Eyes (Good Tears)

Post by ScholarlyGent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:32 pm

So here it is. Super smooth yet funky instrumental hip-hop. Perhaps my best work yet? Without a doubt the best "sound". A lot of you have given me truly awesome feedback on past tracks, especially with regard to getting that LA style compression just right. Its taken a while to dial-in the sound I've wanted but I think I've finally done it here... and the song is pretty dope too! :lol: Let me know what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/pete-clark-after- ... -the-verge
Last edited by ScholarlyGent on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aizo

Re: Inst. Hip-hop That Brought Tears to My Eyes (Good Tears)

Post by aizo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:02 pm

I like it man, sounds pretty cool but also sounds like it has too much compression on it. Maybe it's just Soundcloud.

I don't know if it's hiphop. When I think of hiphop, I think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKDmYiXc8sw

Eitherway, it's cool and you should keep at it. Better than my crap music....
ImageImage

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:18 pm

aizo wrote:I like it man, sounds pretty cool but also sounds like it has too much compression on it. Maybe it's just Soundcloud.

I don't know if it's hiphop. When I think of hiphop, I think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKDmYiXc8sw

Eitherway, it's cool and you should keep at it. Better than my crap music....
Thanks brother! I appreciate that. It's definitely a heavily compressed track (which was the sound I'm going for) but sound cloud sure compressed the hell out of it, far beyond how I intended it to sound. As far as the the genre, yeah, I sorta agree. Its certainly not traditional instrumental hip-hop (like the track you linked, which I love btw) especially in the sense that its not sample based. Its got a much more "new school" flavor. Not sure what to call it otherwise though.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:22 pm

maybe better described as instrumental funk?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:33 pm

^ I don't think its funk. Its smooth though. Good job.

put a rap on it and everyone will call it hip hop. don't worry about labeling it too much. hip hop is about mixing elements and pulling together what you can get your hands on to make a beat. thats what you did right?

don't stop.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

2be

Post by 2be » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:23 pm

Nice! Groovy track and I like the hard compression.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:42 am

Thanks peoples! Glad some of you are enjoying it!

lord toranaga

Post by lord toranaga » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:09 pm

not hip hop
nothing special about this tune
it sounds good, but not very original

like something rejected by ninjatune in 1997. or something to get a massage to

keep it up you work is good.
Peace & Love, Lord Toranaga

necho

Post by necho » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:21 pm

^^^ I don't think Mr Clarke is trying to re-define music as we know it... he's just sharing his music and his enjoyment...
:)

Good stuff Scholarly Gent. Keep it up..... (oh, and sample some crackle off a record and layer it in yer mix!)
_________
sigs suck.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:17 pm

necho wrote:^^^ I don't think Mr Clarke is trying to re-define music as we know it... he's just sharing his music and his enjoyment...
:)

Good stuff Scholarly Gent. Keep it up..... (oh, and sample some crackle off a record and layer it in yer mix!)
Thanks Necho. You nailed it. Just sharing some of what I've done with the hope that some people may enjoy it. And Lord Toranaga, I would be honored if you chose my track to get a message too! :lol:

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:50 pm

ScholarlyGent wrote:So here it is. Super smooth yet funky instrumental hip-hop. Perhaps my best work yet? Without a doubt the best "sound". A lot of you have given me truly awesome feedback on past tracks, especially with regard to getting that LA style compression just right. Its taken a while to dial-in the sound I've wanted but I think I've finally done it here... and the song is pretty dope too! :lol: Let me know what you think.

This sounds good, kinda hip-hop/quiet storm/elevator. It's going on my phone for subway play.

If it was my track, I would try replacing the drums with 'Joeski Love - Pee-Wee's Dance' drums (just a random thought).

STRATEGY

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:58 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
ScholarlyGent wrote:So here it is. Super smooth yet funky instrumental hip-hop. Perhaps my best work yet? Without a doubt the best "sound". A lot of you have given me truly awesome feedback on past tracks, especially with regard to getting that LA style compression just right. Its taken a while to dial-in the sound I've wanted but I think I've finally done it here... and the song is pretty dope too! :lol: Let me know what you think.

This sounds good, kinda hip-hop/quiet storm/elevator. It's going on my phone for subway play.

If it was my track, I would try replacing the drums with 'Joeski Love - Pee-Wee's Dance' drums (just a random thought).

STRATEGY
Thanks strategy, interesting idea. I actually made a track inspired by my daily metro ride to the Pentagon when I worked there several years ago. Appropriately, its called "Metro to the Pentagon" and its on soundcloud for free. Maybe another good one for the subway ride? Thanks again for the feedback.