just got an akai mpc 1000

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
freshdrumma

just got an akai mpc 1000

Post by freshdrumma » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:50 pm

and things groove so much better...
but what i like the best is that i'm now more concentrate on hearing than watching
cool!!!!

Trypset

Re: just got an akai mpc 1000

Post by Trypset » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:10 pm

How/will you be using and incorporating with live?
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

gersty

Post by gersty » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:24 pm

Nice... i got a 500, i like using it just cause i don't always like dealing with computers. It works good as a drum pad for ableton too, you just have to get a usb midi hub (won't run midi through the usb, or at least on mine)

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:01 pm

cool. So do you just make beats/patterns and then record the audio output into ableton?
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

mayabong

Post by mayabong » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:23 pm

Cool glad you like it. As for myself I payed for an mpc 5000 then like 3 days after I got it I found ableton. lol. I sold the mpc a few days later cause I didn't see a need for it.
Create your own website or blog on your own domain with Hostgator Use Code ABLETON123 for 25% off your order.

aizo

Post by aizo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:31 am

I got an old 2000 (classic) I totally don't need it but I like usuing to make all hardware songs!
It's definitely a fun machine! I can only imagine hoe much of MAschine would totally turn my world upside down! I want one so bad but damn I need to get so many other things first!
ImageImage

satoribeats

Post by satoribeats » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:41 pm

mpc1k is a beast! Check out jj's os for new improvements! Well worth the money!

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:47 am

Use it to trigger samples in live. It is very relaxing. On top of that go and get jj 2kXL to get the 2000xl style groove

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:06 pm

it came with jj os installed!

i'm using it, or i'm planning to use it for

1 Make beats, record them on separate tracks and arrange them in ableton
2 Make music without having to deal with any computer
3 MAke "hardware song", got few synths and i think that mpc groove it's much better, gonna make my dx7 organ bass house music sounds cool!
4 trigger drums with my edrums on the road
5 control surface for ableton. the pads are nicer than any controller i ecer owned including launchpoad, that it's great for arranging but sucks for composing

MAchine : it looks amazing, i was tempted but it's missing the main MPC benefit: it can run without a computer, has a lot of choices and that's sometimes is a big limit to me, i want to go back and concentrate on music instead of the 1000 plug i own, with a million of presets!

my opinion

gersty

Post by gersty » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:43 am

what's jj about? and where can i get it? maybe i should just use google. but how is jj different then the akai os?

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:44 pm

...jj os vs. Akai os?

That's different planets....

Jj once was an akai sofware engineer....he's the only one in the world who can really pimp a mpc....and that's what he does...pushing these machines to their limit.....it's definitly worth it...

And hell yeah...mpc means a bit more work....but it also means...a real instrument....with no presets!!!....means whatever it sounds like....it's YOUR SOUND coming out there....really played, not built or klicked...and done with your HANDS AND EARS ONLY.....

humnumb

Maschine: It's an instrument!!!

Post by humnumb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:19 am

reeloy wrote:mpc means a bit more work....but it also means...a real instrument....with no presets!!!....means whatever it sounds like....it's YOUR SOUND coming out there....really played, not built or klicked...and done with your HANDS AND EARS ONLY.....
Meh. Maschine is also a real instrument. Just because MPC is a proprietary computer and Maschine's software lives inside a regular computer doesn't mean much. It's the experience of using it that counts and Maschine simply excels. I used to rock the MPC with JJ OS 1&2 and for me, Maschine just wipes the floor with it, especially in terms of workflow (no need to constantly stop the sequencer to make changes like the MPC).

Remember, Maschine is a sampler. That means you can have YOUR SOUND coming out of there....really played, and done with your HANDS and EARS ONLY. You don't touch the computer when using it. Everything can be controlled from the hardware where it makes sense. The computer screen doesn't even need to be turned on. The great thing about Maschine is that it has none of the frustratingly inherent limitations of hardware yet still gives you a hardware like workflow but even faster.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:43 am

apples and oranges

maschine = best hardware controller + laptop

mpc = best hardware drumsampler

maschine excels at fx, stepsequencing, and as a midi controller

the mpc = excels at groove, song construction/songmode, layering, and as a hardware controller of external gear

maschine is the best thing going in computer land with the help of a daw

the mpc is the best thing going without the help of a daw

they're purposes do not overlap, you deserve both and as a musician it is well worth it to have both
whichever one you get first you can't go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bloomypetal ... QymMhNhfho

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:06 am

starving student wrote:they're purposes do not overlap, you deserve both and as a musician it is well worth it to have both
Nah. They do overlap enough in what they do to make it redundant to have both. Not everyone wants to collect gear. Some people don't have the space for both or can't afford both. Some people are more productive with less redundant gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqUb3-tRs_A

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:58 am

to me the whole point is not to have a computer to look at too, it's not cool to stay in front of the computer for one day for me, and i just imagine someone that has a "proper" job in front of a computer and go back at home to make music in front of a computer.....

anyway, last week i hada band in the studio with a broken mpc 2500, it was spitting out broken drum hits once on a while, and this add so much character to their recording without adding something like super trigga!!!:-)