just got an akai mpc 1000

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
reeloy

Re: just got an akai mpc 1000

Post by reeloy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:20 am

...everything that makes maschine a good tool is a mpc ripoff....fact.

And you did'nt get the most important point...mpc is a naked music instrument....no computer gear...

Maschine is for preset suckers....mpc for people who want their very own sound....

esky

Post by esky » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 am

Yesterday i visited a music store and took a look at a mpc 5000, i'd love to work with one of these mpc's machines. This video http://www.myspace.com/video/mrbibio/th ... e/60194426of one of my favourite artists Bibio sparked my interest...
On the other hand for 1000 bugs (price of a 2500) you get a decent pc or laptop these days...

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:56 pm

humnumb wrote:
starving student wrote:they're purposes do not overlap, you deserve both and as a musician it is well worth it to have both
Nah. They do overlap enough in what they do to make it redundant to have both. Not everyone wants to collect gear. Some people don't have the space for both or can't afford both. Some people are more productive with less redundant gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqUb3-tRs_A
his mpc work is much better and he still uses one, it's not always about affordability or enough space for everybody, my mpc 1000 cost me $300. this subject has nothing to do with collecting gear, guitarist have more than one, bass players have more than one, synth players have more than one, why should samplist be any differet. I've had a maschine, mpc, and esx-1 sampler, and roland sp sampler all at the same time and they don't over lap in the least. but what we're not mentioning here is it's all about the musician, if you do the same thing on all of your gear that's fine too

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:03 pm

reeloy wrote:...everything that makes maschine a good tool is a mpc ripoff....fact.

And you did'nt get the most important point...mpc is a naked music instrument....no computer gear...

Maschine is for preset suckers....mpc for people who want their very own sound....
hey now :mrgreen: you know I agree with some of that but...............
maschine is a dope instrument too, it's about what you put into it and how you play it, it's just a sampler.
and it's automation and fx clean the mpcs clock everytime but really even though it's learned allot from the mpc and still is, it's still a different beast, I don't believe you would make the same beat on the two unless you force yourself, at least I don't.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:09 pm

esky wrote:Yesterday i visited a music store and took a look at a mpc 5000, i'd love to work with one of these mpc's machines. This video http://www.myspace.com/video/mrbibio/th ... e/60194426of one of my favourite artists Bibio sparked my interest...
On the other hand for 1000 bugs (price of a 2500) you get a decent pc or laptop these days...
I'd have a 5000 if it didn't have so many problems, feature wise it's the perfect standalone beatmachine, wonderful creative features that you can abuse and misuse to great lengths and get very inspiring results. but right now I just don't know about the os

i have a 2500 and it's great, and it was cheap, like $700 in like new condition with cd drive included and maxed ram off craigslist.....has never given me one problem and feels great.

esky

Post by esky » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:41 pm

starving student wrote:
esky wrote:Yesterday i visited a music store and took a look at a mpc 5000, i'd love to work with one of these mpc's machines. This video http://www.myspace.com/video/mrbibio/th ... e/60194426of one of my favourite artists Bibio sparked my interest...
I'd have a 5000 if it didn't have so many problems, feature wise it's the perfect standalone beatmachine, wonderful creative features that you can abuse and misuse to great lengths and get very inspiring results. but right now I just don't know about the os

i have a 2500 and it's great, and it was cheap, like $700 in like new condition with cd drive included and maxed ram off craigslist.....has never given me one problem and feels great.
Interesting, of course i'm not into details about the mpc series. Do you sync your machine to Live...? What are your experiences...? How's your workflow then...?

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:53 pm

forgot to say that from when i use my mpc i just try out ideas that i think are worth trying, kind of when you had fil in your camera and you took only picture that you thought can be good picture, it's a kind of shit filter to me, because it takes time and work to do it.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:02 pm

no I don't sync the mpc to Live, I've never been satisfied with the sync, but I've been using live since version 1.0, although i would love it to have legendary atari like sync I don't even think about it anymore, I just track out of the additional outputs on the mpc or the stereo out track by track into live or other daws, it doesn't even slow me down.

the workflow is wonderful, I sample allot from multiple sources, including live instrumentation, all of my sources go into an analong mixer, I have a pair of outs on that mixer that go into my mpc and whatever channel I want to sample i just press a button on that channel strip, I also have some hardware efx boxes in the chain, I do allot of resampling and mangling, it's very hard for me to leave a sample just as it is
so easy routing to fx and back to the mpcs inputs are a big priority, then slicing, layering, and sequncing. I love dynamics, the mpc has dynamics in spades through it's recordable muting functions and veloc/pitch levels.

sync is a nice point about maschine though.

Geebag

Post by Geebag » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:17 pm

freshdrumma wrote:to me the whole point is not to have a computer to look at too, it's not cool to stay in front of the computer for one day for me, and i just imagine someone that has a "proper" job in front of a computer and go back at home to make music in front of a computer.....

anyway, last week i hada band in the studio with a broken mpc 2500, it was spitting out broken drum hits once on a while, and this add so much character to their recording without adding something like super trigga!!!:-)
Maschine is best of both worlds.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:00 pm

reeloy wrote:...everything that makes maschine a good tool is a mpc ripoff....fact.
Wrong.

NI obviously looked at a lot more than the MPC when they designed Maschine. They took the best parts of what already existed: Electribe (x0x step sequencer, motion sequencing, dedicated mute/solo), Machinedrum (step parameter lock), RM1X/RS7K (group mute/solo), Ableton Live (session view), MPC (16 pads, note repeat, swing, sampling/slicing) and continue to improve upon it like there's no tomorrow.
reeloy wrote:And you did'nt get the most important point...mpc is a naked music instrument....no computer gear...
:lol: MPC IS a computer, just a very limited proprietary one. And Maschine is very much an instrument. Just because you can't wrap your head around its concept, doesn't mean it is not one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdFlFxJFnfY
reeloy wrote:Maschine is for preset suckers....mpc for people who want their very own sound....
In case you haven't realized yet, Maschine is a sampler and you can load your own sounds.