Would I need a turntable for anything other than scratching?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
docprosper

Re: Would I need a turntable for anything other than scratching?

Post by docprosper » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:57 am

lasersounds wrote:i think you can DJ with a computer and controller, but IMO its really really lame
...perhaps this is your opinion because you lack the vision? Not trying to bait you, but I'm at least backing up my opinions with analogies/personal experiences instead of a "IMO". I think there's a big spectrum of "Ableton DJing", from mixing two tracks slowly with a mouse (pretty lame), to on the fly remixing of multiple tracks with additional layering, slicing, effects, throwing down notes/drums on top with a keyboard or drumpad, blending in original material, etc. (arguably not lame). My advice to the OP is to see how far s/he can get with the gear at hand rather than worry about what everyone else thinks of the setup. This could potentially save some $$, plus it could be better to master one thing at a time rather than trying to learn how to DJ with Ableton/vinyl/CDJs all at once.

I am no hater on vinyl; I have a ton of it, and spent years lugging a crate around both the US and internationally. Never got to far with it but had a great time both doing house parties and clubs. Your arms will get big going this route but, compared to Live, it's pretty cumbersome. Now whenever I'm on business travel I can quickly set up in the hotel room to practice, work out mixes and new tracks while in transit, etc. I still buy vinyl, but supplement it with digital downloads, both purchased and free. Shopping for tracks now can mean instant gratification.

One big question is what styles of music the OP is into. If s/he wants to mix old school hip hop some 12s are almost certainly in order. Glitch Hop? Good luck finding what you want on vinyl; some of it's there but this genre pushed me over the edge into the digital due to a lack of vinyl product. I'll be a bunch of other newer genres (lazer juke, anyone?) have the same problem. Call it lame if you want but I'm the guy in the airport sussing out a set while you sit wishing you could be playing with your 1200s. Like it or not, the future belongs to some kid mixing via his bluetooth enabled wristwatch, empowered by Ableton/M4L, whilst doing a headspin in the crowd, not some geezer like me lugging turntables around. That kid is certainly not me, but could be the OP.

There, I said something cool and will now make a graceful exit. Cheers.
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft