Deadmau5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
davepermen

Re: Deadmau5

Post by davepermen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:16 pm

well, tons of deadmau5 stuff is not house. still caries some of his "style". fml sounds nothing like arguru, for example. or attention whore.

strobe is a track that doesn't have the 4x4 beat till minute 6. quite some tracks have 3/4th rythms in.

it's easy to just rant and call it "all the same". music one doesn't listen to much always has that. just as chinese people look all the same to me, just as i'm not used to see those. if i would life in a chinese region, i would be able to see all the differences.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:30 pm

davepermen wrote:well, tons of deadmau5 stuff is not house. still caries some of his "style". fml sounds nothing like arguru, for example. or attention whore.

strobe is a track that doesn't have the 4x4 beat till minute 6. quite some tracks have 3/4th rythms in.

it's easy to just rant and call it "all the same". music one doesn't listen to much always has that. just as chinese people look all the same to me, just as i'm not used to see those. if i would life in a chinese region, i would be able to see all the differences.
You're not getting it, I used house as an example, but I'm talking about electronic dance music in general, not just house, the fact that a specific genre inside EDM as a whole will be that homogenous.
I listen to a lot of electronic dance music, and thrash metal, but I acknowledge that a lot of it is pretty much homogenous. The same thing IMO is happening in indie rock, mainly vocally, but the point is, hell no it's not at all like your inability to tell chinese people apart. BTW, yuck, really really really bad example! :x reminds me of a Moroccan friend of mines bad impression of the swiss, you don't want that stigma my friend. Also not a real good way to back up your claim of the diversity of deadmau5 by making an ultra white bread comment like that. :lol:

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Machinesworking wrote:You're not getting it, I used house as an example, but I'm talking about electronic dance music in general, not just house, the fact that a specific genre inside EDM as a whole will be that homogenous.
I listen to a lot of electronic dance music, and thrash metal, but I acknowledge that a lot of it is pretty much homogenous. The same thing IMO is happening in indie rock, mainly vocally, but the point is, hell no it's not at all like your inability to tell chinese people apart. BTW, yuck, really really really bad example! :x reminds me of a Moroccan friend of mines bad impression of the swiss, you don't want that stigma my friend. Also not a real good way to back up your claim of the diversity of deadmau5 by making an ultra white bread comment like that. :lol:
had nothing to do with racism or anything. when Chinese people are here, they can't tell us apart, too. it's just common sense: the more you know something, the more details you notice, and differentiate. people growing up with one-egg twins can differentiate them (sometimes :)). no one else can.

and i fully understood your points and was not in disagreement. i am in disagreement of all the others in here declaring deadmau5 to be much more "all the same" than others (including themselves, for some of them). which is definitely not true. his music has a lot of variety, and goes from relaxing ambient style to rocking near-metal-stuff to commercial and back (and more) in a single set. which, then, results in a fun night. and that's in the end, what matters.

i do agree that a genre is "mostly the same". that's the definition of genre (and, as my other point, race). that doesn't mean everything is identical in a genre. it just means, there is common ground (like choice of instruments, rhythmical patterns, way of singing).

so all is like it always is, but at least, people can bash deadmau5 and then feel cool to have bashed him :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:33 pm

I personally hate all of his music that I've heard except one remix, so that's all that really matters to me...

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:21 pm

I think it seems that dance music is "all the same", compared to rock or pop, etc... simply because there is no vocals.
Remove the voice from a coldplay song, it's indie. Remove the voice of green day, that becomes offsprings :p
you know what I mean?

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:30 pm

It's definitely harder to distinguish, say, techno artists just by hearing a song than it is for rock music. And that's coming from a techno fan... there's just not as many points of reference, and a lot of producers change their style slightly with each release as opposed to bands who generally have the same vocal style (and a singer is the most identifiable element anyway unless we're talking about rent-a-vocal random blonde Euro dance or something) and very similar drum sounds, guitar tone, etc. in every song and style shifts are more gradual.

For the original topic... it's been done to absolute death. I don't enjoy Deadmau5 - I find his music quite insipid, it doesn't do anything for me. Fair play to him for making it big though. Same way I feel about a lot of mainstream artists really - nothing to do with them purely being mainstream, and certainly not jealousy, I just don't find myself enjoying their music. We all have different tastes, live and let live, he certainly gets a lot of publicity on forums where threads about him nearly always hit the 5 page mark...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Well, my point is that he DOESN'T have a signature sound IMHO. He has a signature AVATAR ...

Like most producers from the past 10 years, he's mixed up a couple of influences which are maybe not totally done to death (but still apparent to many) but I don't see the innovation in his work at all. The younger generation don't seem to realize that Kraftwerk, Giorgio Moroder, Eno, 808 State, Frankie Knuckles or the whole Chicago House and Detroit Tech scene ever existed. They don't even know about The Orb, Laurent Garnier, Portishead, The Prodigy or whatever in some cases.

Deadmau5's latest ploy to seem 'cutting edge' is doing what everyone else has been doing for the past decade and getting analogue modules and racks, which he barely has a clue what to do with, but it's the new cool thing, right. (This and jerking off with controllers and boring the audience to tears with endless random samples triggering and filter sweeps ...)

Again - I went to rave parties in my day jacked up and barely noticed the music, just the vibe, so I'm sure if you're off your head on E or Special K at an outdoor festival or big warehouse party with 1000 other 17-20 year olds, it seems like fun.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

satoribeats

Post by satoribeats » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:00 pm

soooo yea , did you guys know that there is this awesome application called ABLETON LIVE?

It makes music! We all make music , lets discuss music!

gizze

Post by gizze » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:55 pm

First time I have ever heard his stuff listening to clips on here and a few things on youtube tonight.

Dance music is my favourite type of music.

Dance music is also my worst type of music.

For me his stuff falls into the stuff I just can't listen to, sounds like blippy nonsense or commercial toss.

However, the crowd seem to love it, the visuals that were running with it in the Creamfields video seemed to work really well and so hats off to the guy.

Not my bag, but then nor are bagpipes, so I just don't listen to them, really is that simple.

N3H3C

Post by N3H3C » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:25 pm

Deadmau5 is probably reading this and loling

djphenaproxima

Post by djphenaproxima » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:36 pm

To paraphrase the late Bill Hicks, I am so goddamn sick of seeing Deadmau5 threads (on KVR too), I could fucking puke blood.

Rhadiem

Post by Rhadiem » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:09 am

It would be funny if Deadmau5 used an alt account to make the OP. :)

Man, lots of haters out there for what, a guy who does what he likes in music/style and gets paid for it? I'm not into country, or metal, but you don't see me trashing people because they're making a popular song or wearing a funny hat or tight leather pants.. that's called immaturity.

Are there no moderators in the forum? This thread is just filled with 14 year old angst. Is wanton swearing a perfectly acceptable practice for a professional forum now?

I like much of his music, and think that his integration of modular synths into Ableton is cool, I hadn't seen that done before. (no doubt it is)

He may DJ his sets but he does his own music. You can't play every part solo like a "real" band does. What else is a guy to do? Not tour? People want to hear his songs, not some ad-lib concoction that may or not be cool. Putting on a glowy hat and a fancy cube is his way of introducing entertainment into his craft. I respect him for that.

I guess when I am able to chill during short breaks doing the VMA show I can pick a more respectable game that'll impress the haters. Until then I just lol at all the nonsense people post.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:25 am

This nonsense made me LOL.

Who cares if he is watching or not - is he gonna come and beat me up (the way he beat up Rusko) :lol: or just misspell curse words on his blog about Live forum haters ...

It's just so MEH - I'm not a hater - aint wasting my hate on something so 'meh'.

Listen to him, go to his gigs, do what you gotta do, whatever ...

BTW, people have been integrating analog racks into their synths since the advent of the external instrument plugin which came in Live 7, many, many people got there, did that, ate the pie, wore out the t-shirt and boxers before Mr. Zimmerman delved into the sloppy seconds ...
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Rhadiem

Post by Rhadiem » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:11 am

Rhadiem wrote:I like much of his music, and think that his integration of modular synths into Ableton is cool, I hadn't seen that done before. (no doubt it is)
emphasized for you.

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:18 am

The Carpet Cleaner wrote: Remove the voice of green day, that becomes offsprings
8O

Have you ever listened to either of these bands?????