Deadmau5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jpga

Re: Deadmau5

Post by jpga » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:03 am

I don't now Joel but his music is amazing.

All the best,,

Jp

Rave

Post by Rave » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:08 am

His music ain't my bag but if he makes people happy and not at the expense of others then good luck to him.

satoribeats

Post by satoribeats » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:23 am

outershpongolia : I like how to make assumptions on how you know me. Honestly its pointless to argue over a forum weather a producer is good or not. Its like fighting over if whats the best favor ice cream. Everyone have there opinion. And personally i would agree with your mom and say vanilla is the best!. jp dont get offended because its all going to be alright outersphongolia....

btw i would LOVE to have a little healthy competition... Hit me up via pm then we can post once done and get some votes in! Anyone have any idea's on how we could do it?

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:42 am

"Making It" has little to do with talent and lots to do with knowing the right people, or being lucky.

Justin Bieber has made it. Tons of generic rap and rnb artists have 'made it' - good luck to them, but that doesn't mean that you have to like or respect them.

I just don't find anything new or inspirational from Deadmau5 at all, his sound is nothing new IMO and there are many people I think are more talented who haven't and will never make it, but that's OK. I don't hate the guy or envy him, it's just not to my personal taste.

That he used to post on the board and uses Live on stage doesn't earn him extra kudos. Having said this, it's obvious that some people do like him, mostly the very young demographic - maybe if I was 18 again, I would like him too ! It's all a personal and subjective matter.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:48 am

well it's not my favorite genre, but I'm always impressed by his production. Even though it's still conventional and not unique, there is still his signature sound, and one of the most important thing is that it's unpredictable. And when you compare with other progressive house music, his production are the best. His groove, his sound, he is at the top of his genre, and his sound is an inspiration for thousand of other progressive house producers.
But at the end of the day, it's still progressive house, it's not like when daft punk released discovery that was and still is a UFO.
Personally deadmau5 is one of the best music producer of our time because he simply and continuously delivers top quality tracks.

All this talk about him is because he does progressive house, which is not as trendy or as "underground" as nu-disco, indie dance , etc... I beleive if he was doing the same quality track but in another genre such as Nu-disco, he could be viewed as an amazing artist while right now in the producer community, lots of people see him just as a lucky tarnce producer.

satoribeats

Post by satoribeats » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:10 am

Yea hating on someone for having a "Signature sound" is pretty stupid in my opinion. Isn't that the point of being a music producer? Specially if your the innovator of that sound...

All genres have there signature sound , thats what puts them in that genre to begin with...

I guess you can always find things to complain about. There will always be haters but remember even when you talk shit about him your making publicity for him and any publicity is good publicity.

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:36 am

squelcht wrote:Guess what? I've never ever even heard any Deadmau5 track. :|
There. I said it. True fact this.
!!!

I'm very very happy that I'm not alone!

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:51 am

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:well it's not my favorite genre, but I'm always impressed by his production. Even though it's still conventional and not unique, there is still his signature sound, and one of the most important thing is that it's unpredictable. And when you compare with other progressive house music, his production are the best. His groove, his sound, he is at the top of his genre, and his sound is an inspiration for thousand of other progressive house producers.

progressive house? thats the stuff that was called goa trance in the past?

and its called progressive because the beats progress on and on without any variation?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:35 am

no, it's something else. just nothing for you, so better move on.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Rave

Post by Rave » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 am

outershpongolia wrote:
satoribeats wrote:You guys have no idea what your talking about. Solitaire was being play'd during breaks in his set!!! Would you rather him play with his wang? He had nothing better to do! and for his lives sets , playing his stuff live is a ever evolving process! He spends alot of time trying to make his live sets more live!

btw : To who ever said they dont like mau5's "cube" and LOVESSS the daft punk space ship blah blah blah.... Its the same designer who made both stages.... It does not even matter though , does his stage being a "gimmick" have anything to do with the quality of his show? I think not..Your all just jealous that your production sucks! He made it! Does an awesome show! Production is unparalleled! Even black eye pea's are jacking his loops and giving him no credit!

READ UP BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH.

8O This is where I say, welcome to the forum.. and also.. go fuck yourself..

"Your all just jealous that your production sucks!" - okay little guy, enough with the insults, we all know you're just as good as deadmau5 cause you can drop his track in a DJ set soo.. carry on fan boy.

Theres never going to be a shortage of narcissistic people who follow the narcissistic DJ's around.. deadmau5 has better production than I do, so that ultimately makes your shit not stink because you buy his shitty records and wear his t-shirts..

Wheres your music buddy?
Machinesworking wrote:Everything I've heard him do is solid production wise and mediocre song wise.
but it doesn't matter when you've got thousands waiting outside to see you play solitaire in a mouse costume on top of a big ass gimmick cube as long as the song goes untz untz untz untz !
Chill fella.
I would just stick to your thing and let everyone worry about theirs.
Maybe you could write a DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP house track.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:01 am

satoribeats wrote:Yea hating on someone for having a "Signature sound" is pretty stupid in my opinion. Isn't that the point of being a music producer? Specially if your the innovator of that sound...

All genres have there signature sound , thats what puts them in that genre to begin with...

I guess you can always find things to complain about. There will always be haters but remember even when you talk shit about him your making publicity for him and any publicity is good publicity.
Meh, nothing he does is that interesting to me, it's OK, he's a good producer, but the music doesn't do it for me. If that's being a hater, then whatthefuckever?
I think it's absolutely important as an artist to recognize what you like and don't like about a genre or style of music, and it's important to be able to be hyper critical of music in general, otherwise IMO you won't come out with a style of your own.
I also never would have mentioned my ambivalence towards Deadmau5 had he not already made a ton of direct attacks on other musicians. I don't see the point in taking down anybody for being successful if there's even a slight hint that the people behind the music are solidly into playing and music in general.
When they attack other musicians on the levels that he has, IMO that makes him fair game for attack.

GDOGG

Post by GDOGG » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:15 pm

A lot of people seem to be saying that all his stuff sounds the same but isn't that the same with every single musician out there. To people who dig a specific artist, their music will offer something different with every song but to someone who isn't into that artist or "genre" it'll all sound the same. To me tracks like "faxing berlin" and "arguru" are poles apart but would just get chucked in together by someone whose not into that music. But i could listen to something im not into at all, say country and western (random i know) and think every single song sounds similar and someone who digs that stuff would get pissed off. And probably for a good reason. I have listened to shit all country and western music in my time but i could still be there chucking in my opinion.

And isn't an artist having a certain sound, part of what draws you to them? I don't get how being a genre whore would work.
http://soundcloud.com/jgrrr
For the gearslutz:13.5 Macbook Pro, Ableton Live, Behringer DDM4000, Allen & Heath Xone K2 x 2, Novation Launchpad, Akai LPD8, KRK Rokit 5s, M-Audio Firewire, Vestax VCM 600, Alesis Q49 Keyboard, Sennheiser HD205s

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:40 pm

3phase wrote:
The Carpet Cleaner wrote:well it's not my favorite genre, but I'm always impressed by his production. Even though it's still conventional and not unique, there is still his signature sound, and one of the most important thing is that it's unpredictable. And when you compare with other progressive house music, his production are the best. His groove, his sound, he is at the top of his genre, and his sound is an inspiration for thousand of other progressive house producers.

progressive house? thats the stuff that was called goa trance in the past?

and its called progressive because the beats progress on and on without any variation?
:) I don't really know mate, I'm not too much into his stuff and anyway I don't like to put music into genre.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:02 pm

GDOGG wrote:A lot of people seem to be saying that all his stuff sounds the same but isn't that the same with every single musician out there. To people who dig a specific artist, their music will offer something different with every song but to someone who isn't into that artist or "genre" it'll all sound the same. To me tracks like "faxing berlin" and "arguru" are poles apart but would just get chucked in together by someone whose not into that music. But i could listen to something im not into at all, say country and western (random i know) and think every single song sounds similar and someone who digs that stuff would get pissed off. And probably for a good reason. I have listened to shit all country and western music in my time but i could still be there chucking in my opinion.

And isn't an artist having a certain sound, part of what draws you to them? I don't get how being a genre whore would work.
+1
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:09 pm

GDOGG wrote:A lot of people seem to be saying that all his stuff sounds the same but isn't that the same with every single musician out there. To people who dig a specific artist, their music will offer something different with every song but to someone who isn't into that artist or "genre" it'll all sound the same.
It's really late here, but first band that comes to mind is Pink Floyd. Animals sounds nothing at all like the Wall, which sounds nothing like Meddle.
More to the point, AC/DC songs are pretty similar, but no one would ever confuse an AC/DC song with a Slayer Song, they don't share chord, basic arrangement concepts or tempo in common. They both have the exact same instruments in their bands, same basic tool set to work with. With Dance Music, specifically electronic music designed with dancing and club play in mind, this simply isn't the case.
I'm pretty certain that if someone made a mix tape of a bunch of for instance house bands songs that you'd never heard, that you wouldn't be able to identify the songs to the groups. Only sections of thrash metal have gotten this bad to where the identity of the group is that blurry compared to the adherence to genre archetypes.

Break some molds, it's what's for dinner! :)