Deadmau5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GDOGG

Deadmau5

Post by GDOGG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:22 pm

Thought I'd make this topic just to see what the music production census is on this guy. Curious to see if its love or hate towards him and why? I'm personally a massive fan of his stuff both old and new and having trawled the internet a lot and it seems that opinion is really divided over him and what he's about.

Can't see there being a more suitable forum for this discussion than abletons as it's his main software he runs these days :)

So.......

Thoughts
http://soundcloud.com/jgrrr
For the gearslutz:13.5 Macbook Pro, Ableton Live, Behringer DDM4000, Allen & Heath Xone K2 x 2, Novation Launchpad, Akai LPD8, KRK Rokit 5s, M-Audio Firewire, Vestax VCM 600, Alesis Q49 Keyboard, Sennheiser HD205s

shimmy

Re: Deadmau5

Post by shimmy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:28 pm

He just plays solitaire on his laptop these days.
(Someone still have that pic available?)

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:33 pm

could be photoshopped......NOT
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Guess what? I've never ever even heard any Deadmau5 track. :|
There. I said it. True fact this.

GDOGG

Post by GDOGG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:12 pm

true, playing solitaire doesnt show him off as a proper showman but his live gigs are pretty insane. also id probably do something similar if i had to dj for an ass-kissing award ceremony like the vmas
For the gearslutz:13.5 Macbook Pro, Ableton Live, Behringer DDM4000, Allen & Heath Xone K2 x 2, Novation Launchpad, Akai LPD8, KRK Rokit 5s, M-Audio Firewire, Vestax VCM 600, Alesis Q49 Keyboard, Sennheiser HD205s

GDOGG

Post by GDOGG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:14 pm

squelcht wrote:Guess what? I've never ever even heard any Deadmau5 track. :|
There. I said it. True fact this.
your missing out man, worth a listen if it doesnt do anything for you. never know til you hear it :)

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:19 pm

what so live about the performance if he is playing fucking solitaire....he might as well just throw on his CD and smoke crack.
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

GDOGG

Post by GDOGG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:25 pm

http://jessebrede.com/wordpress/2008/05 ... au5-using/

think its a bit unfair to say he's up there doing nothing though. and it was before the show i think

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:40 pm

As far as I know, performance wise, he's got 2 tracks in ableton and he just goes A, B between them.. just like any simple DJ template and everything is beat matched and ready to go ( and this guy gets pissed when people call him a DJ ! )

THEN

he's got a little 4 or so track "live set" on the side so he can do some live editing of original tracks etc - this is the only thing that would keep me interested in his live performances..

But I still think the mouse head and big pyramid thing is a gimmick, especially if you're just gonna DJ your own tracks the same way you'd DJ some one elses (boringggg).. I want to see a fucking space ship like Daft Punk - not a huge fan of their music but at least they went nutzo on controllers to make an interesting show rather than a mickey mouse head BUT OMGGGG IT LIGHTS UP AND HE CAN LISTEN TO HIS AMAZING MUSIC THROUGH THE HEADPHONES INSIDE GAAAH HHH I WANNA BE DEADMAU5 SOO BAD GUYS

ok I'm done.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:44 pm

i dont mind the solitaire so much.. many so called live acts are doing dj sets with own tracks..so ther is plenty of time to do some emails or so... but the hat...

is he really wearing all time this mouse head? isnt that horrible uncomfi? cant he put a masochistic fan in this costume? or 2 gogos? or just a projektion? it wouldnt be real than?
strange new world :?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:06 pm

He was playing solitaire BEFORE the VMA's Get your facts straight.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:25 pm

BoxDJ wrote:He was playing solitaire BEFORE the VMA's Get your facts straight.
and all the time that helmet? hope he is not tall..otherwise the way to the toilet could cost the mouse ears
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

satoribeats

Post by satoribeats » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:29 pm

You guys have no idea what your talking about. Solitaire was being play'd during breaks in his set!!! Would you rather him play with his wang? He had nothing better to do! and for his lives sets , playing his stuff live is a ever evolving process! He spends alot of time trying to make his live sets more live!

btw : To who ever said they dont like mau5's "cube" and LOVESSS the daft punk space ship blah blah blah.... Its the same designer who made both stages.... It does not even matter though , does his stage being a "gimmick" have anything to do with the quality of his show? I think not..Your all just jealous that your production sucks! He made it! Does an awesome show! Production is unparalleled! Even black eye pea's are jacking his loops and giving him no credit!

READ UP BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:33 pm

satoribeats wrote:You guys have no idea what your talking about. Solitaire was being play'd during breaks in his set!!! Would you rather him play with his wang? He had nothing better to do! and for his lives sets , playing his stuff live is a ever evolving process! He spends alot of time trying to make his live sets more live!

btw : To who ever said they dont like mau5's "cube" and LOVESSS the daft punk space ship blah blah blah.... Its the same designer who made both stages.... It does not even matter though , does his stage being a "gimmick" have anything to do with the quality of his show? I think not..Your all just jealous that your production sucks! He made it! Does an awesome show! Production is unparalleled! Even black eye pea's are jacking his loops and giving him no credit!

READ UP BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH.
Pretty hostile for your first post ever here Satori, or whoever you are. These alt-nicks are becoming a pain.