Warp It In 7, Play It In 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
STRATEGY_510

Warp It In 7, Play It In 8?

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:09 pm

Will this work? I'm on my new iMac and have Live 8 installed and I'm hating the warping. I bought 8 but never really used it on my old computer, now I'm trying to get used to 8 but it's not happening for the warpin'.

I can't access my "old" PC at the moment to grab some sets from 7 and open them in 8, can you guys answer some questions:

1) If I warp stuff in 7, will it open in 8 as previosly warped, or is that buggy? I thought I heard someone say that on here..

2) Where do I download Live 7 from? I believe I'm entitled to it since I upgraded from 6 during the "buy 7 now, get 8 later for free" period and I had both on my old computer.

I'm betting some folks will reccomend my learning how to warp in 8 and problem solved. Probably good advice, but right now I just want to get work done. fwiw, I spent an hour or two when 8 came out trying to get used to it and an hour yesterday. I DON'T LIKE IT.

STRATEGY''

fisto

Re: Warp It In 7, Play It In 8?

Post by fisto » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:26 pm

He,

this works without problems. It's still correctly warped in Live 8. I do this too with tunes for MJ-ing.
Though I played yesterday and Live 8 gave me "Out of Memory" message at tha last tune :(. I will contact suppport because of this.

Cheers

PS: I play with an MBP, Launchpad, UC33e and I heard that Live gets confused when using them together so I now use an little midi-interface and plug the UC over midi to it....no strange behaviour since then.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:39 am

fisto wrote:He,

this works without problems. It's still correctly warped in Live 8. I do this too with tunes for MJ-ing.
Thanks man, now I just have to figure out where to download Live 7 from, anyone? I'll check with support..

STRATEGY

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:30 am

I know it's not the answer, but 8 takes a bit to get used to, but is WAY more intuitive once you get used to it. Watch a youtube vid and then warp a few songs, you will pick it up quick.

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:26 am

Your making harder for yourself. It would be easier to just learn the new way. It is actually better. Takes about 2 minutes to "get it". Besides I think all the new versions are going to be this way.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:51 am

went back to live7 for the first time in over a year the other day to test out something, and tried the old warp ways i was so used to for years. basically, it's crap. 8 is way, way better. just get used to it.

gavgrant

Post by gavgrant » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:07 pm

garyboozy wrote:went back to live7 for the first time in over a year the other day to test out something, and tried the old warp ways i was so used to for years. basically, it's crap. 8 is way, way better. just get used to it.
could not agree more. Version 8 is far superior. I play House tracks (115 - 125bpm) , and even find the autowarp works fine (re-pitch mode) and on the fly! - set first & end marker - job done!

works for me 95% of the time :-)
MacBook Pro 8GB RAM (2011), Presonus Firebox, Remote 49 SL Compact, APC40
LIVE Suite 8.3

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 pm

T.I.M. wrote:Your making harder for yourself. It would be easier to just learn the new way. It is actually better. Takes about 2 minutes to "get it". Besides I think all the new versions are going to be this way.
Perhaps I'm retarded? I went at it on a couple of occasions for over an hour each and got nothing but frustration.

If someone wants to recommend the best tutorial they know of, I will give it another go (sigh).

I'd much prefer a "revert to Live 7 Warping Scheme" button though..

BY THE WAY, does anyone know where I can download Live 7?? I can't find it in my account and never had the 7 disc. I did the "buy 8, get 7 now, get 8 when it comes out" upgrade from Live 6.

Thanks,
STRATEGY

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Had the same problem going from 7 to 8 but watched some tuts on Youtube and started to get the hang of it within minutes. One method that seems to help the transition from warping in 7 to 8 is to place warp marker on first beat then right click and select "set 1.1.1 here" then right click again and select "warp from here (straight)" IMO from there its a lot like warping in 7....
Live 8 Suite / APC40 / M-Audio Keystation61 / Sylenth1 / Technic SL 1200 MK2
http://soundcloud.com/screaming-buddha

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:15 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
T.I.M. wrote:Your making harder for yourself. It would be easier to just learn the new way. It is actually better. Takes about 2 minutes to "get it". Besides I think all the new versions are going to be this way.
Perhaps I'm retarded? I went at it on a couple of occasions for over an hour each and got nothing but frustration.

If someone wants to recommend the best tutorial they know of, I will give it another go (sigh).

I'd much prefer a "revert to Live 7 Warping Scheme" button though..

BY THE WAY, does anyone know where I can download Live 7?? I can't find it in my account and never had the 7 disc. I did the "buy 8, get 7 now, get 8 when it comes out" upgrade from Live 6.

Thanks,
STRATEGY

Try emailing Ableton for a serial of 7. We probably have different a workflow, I usually dont warp whole songs. I could give you my general strategy for warping though. I usually start at the beginning first than the last note. I than do the middle. I tend to work that way because all the other notes tend to land closer to the warp points. You have to look at 8 as moving the wav not the numbers. You have to get used to moving that yellow block to the correct point in time. I included a link to a youtube vid on warping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waLeq8-2 ... re=related

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:13 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote:I bought 8 but never really used it on my old computer, now I'm trying to get used to 8 but it's not happening for the warpin'.
You must learn the new warping features in 8. Failure is not an option.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Lots of people had problems with the new warping at first. Once you get the hang of it though, you realize how much better it is. 8)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:39 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote: Perhaps I'm retarded?
You might want to consult professionals on that, but most likely, you're just impatient ;) You're seeing something that looks very familiar, but which still isn't doing exactly the things you expect. For me, the new method makes a lot more sense. Just make sure you've fully understood what's actually going on, and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.