touchable replaces novation launchpad? crushes?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fx23

Re: touchable replaces novation launchpad? crushes?

Post by fx23 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:06 pm

globalgoon wrote:doing gig from dance-floor = win win situation
i played once in front a 10kw with a custom contoller made by a wiimote and and xbox360 wireless setup. it's the most juicy expenrience i had.pointing left or right to pan or crossfade the tracks, up or down to HP slowly cutting infra, then lowmids,themids, hi, doing that you really point at the speakers you hear that's an incerdible sensassion. you point the tweater to hp.
then you drop your arm and baouoooumm, the most fun is as long as nobody has noticed you were actually doing the sound,
then you feel a bit tracked, but definitely juicy to get full front facade rather than returns.

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:14 pm

fx23 wrote:
globalgoon wrote:doing gig from dance-floor = win win situation
i played once in front a 10kw with a custom contoller made by a wiimote and and xbox360 wireless setup. it's the most juicy expenrience i had.pointing left or right to pan or crossfade the tracks, up or down to HP slowly cutting infra, then lowmids,themids, hi, doing that you really point at the speakers you hear that's an incerdible sensassion. you point the tweater to hp.
then you drop your arm and baouoooumm, the most fun is as long as nobody has noticed you were actually doing the sound,
then you feel a bit tracked, but definitely juicy to get full front facade rather than returns.

yeah, monitors are rubbish. I want to hear what it sounds like in situ

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:26 pm

Walking around AND having the ability to take a healthy shit round about mid-set FTW!

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

CR78

Post by CR78 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:14 am

beats me wrote:I'd say the fact that so many people see very little use for an actual keyboard points squarely to how much uninteresting music is being released, and you don't have to be a concert pianist to see the advantage.

Take our resident electro producer Mint Invader for example who broke through a major barrier by using actual chords in a song. :x

I also feel short octave keyboards are almost as useless for coming up with interesting ideas when writing. I'm not saying it can't be done but it's a big advantage being able to play a bass line and high end at the same time.
This.

Frederik654

Post by Frederik654 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:43 pm

CR78 wrote:
beats me wrote:I'd say the fact that so many people see very little use for an actual keyboard points squarely to how much uninteresting music is being released, and you don't have to be a concert pianist to see the advantage.
This.
True but I must admit that when I had my full size keys I was more stuck with writing melodies chords and bass lines than I do now only with Touchable. And that's of course a personal fact but the reason is ..

I'm far from a good keyboard player (to avoid the word pianist) but got some basics over the years. I just tried too much to be the good keyboard player and now with the limitation of Touchable I get more fresh ideas due to lesser options at the same time (while actually all options are still there).

I'm talking from a tech house point of view, there is tech house with a lot of chords, melodies and difficult patterns but there are also those tracks that are very musical by ear but actually exist out of the most simply patterns, notes and hits and that's were I like to go.

I do not want to support the fact that less is always more but since I'm more of a music nerd than a real musician I'm happy that I'm much more focused on simple things and less to getting cost what cost that extra note played in the grid.
Live8 Suite, Logic Pro X, µTonic, Synplant, U-He ACE, U-He Zebra2.x, U-He Uhbik's, U-He DIVA, Tal Bassline, GURU, Genelec 8040's, SPL Control, Serato, Traktor, TouchAble