Happily Returning to Live!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jacqueslacouth

Happily Returning to Live!

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:07 am

Well, I'm back to using Live as my weapon of choice after abandonment for a couple of years...and I have to admit to wondering why the hell I did!

I switched to Logic because at the time, it seemed to fit into my more traditional linear way of thinking coming from a Tascam Portastudio background and all. However, to be honest, I have never had the inclination to stuff around with the Environment and clearly there is a lot of functionality buried within it. However, since Logic 9 came out the crashes have been driving me insane, with the last update the AU validation crashed 5 times on its first opening.

Now, I am back into learning Live 7 from scratch as I really have forgotten more than I ever learned but I just want to ask, having read the forums a fair bit, I'm not sure about advancing to Live 8 as there appears to still be some bugginess experienced by "some" users. Are the changes in Live 8 worth it or would you suggest I stick with Live 7 which to be honest is rock solid and doesn't crash on me. I have no intent on getting into Max or any of that stuff.

Using a Mid 2009 MBP 2.53 GHz Core 2 Do with 4 Gb Ram and 500Gb 7200 RPM HD.

Also, it is really kool jamming with Live again as it seems to encourage more outside the Square (or line) experimentation.

:D :D :D

Pasha

Re: Happily Returning to Live!

Post by Pasha » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:25 am

Welcome back! :mrgreen:
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks guys, good to be back...already doing some freaky shit which would simply not have been happening in Logic (I mean, it COULD have happened, it just wasn't likely)....Just sketch padding at the moment but quite inspiring and productive.

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Jacqueslacouth wrote:Thanks guys, good to be back...already doing some freaky shit which would simply not have been happening in Logic (I mean, it COULD have happened, it just wasn't likely)....Just sketch padding at the moment but quite inspiring and productive.
Hehe..Exactly why I love Live!!! :wink:

Welcome back .. Enjoy your stay 8)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:12 pm

welcome back.

i say roll with Live 7 since you're sort of still learning it a bit anyway... at least, finding a comfort zone.

as far as 8 is concerned, its got better for a lot of users, myself included, but if 7 is taking care of your needs then whats the point? Besides, right before Live 9 comes out you'll probably be able to pick up 8 for cheap and do an upgrade shuffle that will allow you to mostly skip it and go to 9... That way one of two tings can happen:
A.) you get the stablest Live 8
B.) you get to embark in all the wide wonder of Live 9 early :|

If you go for the option B maneuver, i for one will be watching you and all the rest of the early adopters for a few months before considering joining you...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:24 pm

Welcome back.

I'm still on 7. Initially I didn't go for 8 because when beta testing it, I thought it was far from finished *further than Live 7 was when I beta tested that* and not ready for release and given the 'quality statement' of a while ago, it seems I made the correct decision. Then I was laid off at work and still haven't got a job, am broke, so economics have dictated that I cannot upgrade.

If you have some spare time, you could always download the demo and play around with it, but if you don't pull the trigger on it, you won't be able to reopen any Live sets made in 8 in L7.

7.0.18 is very stable though, and apart from the missing the group tracks, crossfades and the operator refinements, (vocoder was fun for a day or two but got old pretty fast) I don't feel I'm missing much (not really a M4L guy), especially as I tend to export the audio and finish up tracks and mix in Cubase more often than not ...
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:00 am

leedsquietman wrote:Welcome back.

(vocoder was fun for a day or two but got old pretty fast) .
I am a vocoding tragic both in HW and SW...but I have Orange and that really is a smooth piece of gear which takes care of most of my roboty needs. :mrgreen:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:01 pm

^ so group tracks, crossfader and a smooth Operator. fuk it, wait for Live 9.

group tracks will probably improve anyway.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

transology

Post by transology » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:31 am

I'll tell you how great Live is. I'm currently mixing on a really high-end studio, a perfect control room, with big Pro Tools HD Rig, the massive 32ch controller from Digi, the 192IO in the machine room ... 8 core big mac, raid drive and motorized mixing table. Neat.

Forget that ... I'm putting my laptop on this fancy console feeding the 192 IO in my spdif signal.

As an early PT HD user, I would have dream of this setup 6-8 years ago. But now, it's just not the way I work. Logic, way not enough stable for me, I ruins my reputation on some project.

That how I enjoy it.

Have fun
OS X - L8