Warping the Tempo automation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Simbosan

Warping the Tempo automation

Post by Simbosan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:13 am

Ok, imagine I have a wav of a track which has some variation in tempo. Imagine also that for whatever bizarre reaseon, I want the tempo changes to remain. I want Ableton to slow down and speed up the track temp in time with the track. Possible?

Obviously before this could even begin to work, I would have to go through and add warp markers to at least every bar if not every beat.

Once I have done that, is it possible to automatically set the tempo to follow the markers rather than the other way round? Another way to look at it, can you stretch/shrink the grid, then set that track to be master.

Not an easy problem to explain =)

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

Dexes

Re: Warping the Tempo automation

Post by Dexes » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:11 am

In the clip view there's a little button that says 'slave'. Click on that so it says 'Master' and live will set its master tempo to follow that clip (only works in arrangement view though, not in session)

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 am

That will sync to the clips bpm in the bpm box yeah, but what if the tempo inside the clip changes? I guess I should be checking this out, just working it out in my head. I'm trying to break the 'tyranny of the click track' as I think of it.

S
Room full of guitars!
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Simbosan on Soundcloud

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:16 am

You need to quantize the master clip for the tempo to follow the changes. Counter intuitive at first, I know, but it works. Odd they don't tell you that part in the manual. I've also found that the master clip can sound chopped, glitchy, unless you use beat mode, 1.16th, with the 2 fwd arrows loop mode set to 100.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 am

Live 8.2.2b1 Manual wrote: 9.2.1 Tempo Master/Slave
All warped clips in the Arrangement View have one further option: They can be defined as
tempo masters by toggling their Master/Slave switches. Any number of clips can be set as
tempo masters, but only one clip at a time can actually be the tempo master. This distinction
is always granted to the bottom-most, currently playing clip in the Arrangement View.

The clip that is the current tempo master will play as if warping was off, but with one
important difference - the rest of the Live Set will be warped so that it plays in sync with the
current tempo master.

This is achieved by adding tempo automation to the Master track for the duration of the
tempo master clip. You will notice that the Tempo field in Live’s Control Bar becomes
disabled in this state; this is because all tempo control is handed over to the tempo master
clip.

When toggling a clip’s Master/Slave switch, or when deleting a clip that was set as tempo
master, the Master track tempo automation is removed again, restoring the proper tempo
to the region. If you wish instead to keep the generated tempo automation to continue
working with it, then (PC) / Ctrl (Mac) on the Control Bar’s Tempo field, and choose
the Unslave Tempo Automation command. All clips will then be set to Slave, but the tempo
automation will remain in place.

Note that when Live’s EXT switch is enabled, the Master/Slave switch has no effect and
appears disabled.

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:34 am

So, you pick a tempo that is roughly correct for the whole track. Then warp/quantise the master to the grid.

When you play the arrangement, the master track will not be warped, instead the master tempo will be 'warped' to synch...

Clever that is! Will have to play with that tomorrow. Cos I would love to record sometimes without a click track, to allow a bit of ralantando/accelerando (get me and my 'O' Level music!)

Thanks for the help, I misunderstood what master did, Ableton goes up a notch in my estimation (again)

S
Room full of guitars!
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Simbosan on Soundcloud