Analogue mixer with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hussey

Analogue mixer with Ableton

Post by hussey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:27 am

This is a noob topic, but I was hoping if someone could explain to me how this setup works. I have a nio 2/4 audio interface and I was hoping to connect an analogue mixer to the Nio. Is this possible? How does the chain work? Also, how is this configured in Live? I was looking to invest in a Mackie fxpro12. My aim is to connect some hardware to the Mackie, and then into Live. I want to connect my Alesis Micron, daisy chained with guitar pedals, into Live. I hope someone can assist me. Thank you.

Markemark

Re: Analogue mixer with Ableton

Post by Markemark » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:44 am

Sure, connect the outputs from the tape out on the mackie to the line inputs on the nio, set ableton to input from the nio inputs 1/2(MAKE SURE MONITOR IS SET TO OFF!!), plug in the Micron on line input L/R on the Mackie (put the guitar pedals in front of the Micron or behind and then into line input L/mono on the Mackie). On ableton's master track select output to nio's 1/2, then connect the outputs on the nio to the tape input on the Mackie. Press the Tape button in the Control room on the Mackie, you will now be monitoring the output from Abletons main mix, press the main mix button, you will also be monitoring anything(Micron) plugged into the Mackie in the Headphones and Control room monitors. If you want to output this to the main mix outputs press "assign to main mix" button but make sure you unpress "main mix" in the control room else you'll receive a feedback loop! With this set up I emphasized turning the monitor off in Live because other wise you will have a feedback loop between the tape in and out and wake every dog in the neighborhood up!!! This setup is also beneficial because you are monitoring through the Mackie direct(no computer latency :D )
Oh, and let me know what you think of the fxpro12, I'm about to jump on a 802-VLZ3 Pro myself :mrgreen:

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:37 am

Hey I just looked at the ProFX12, and this already has a usb audio input and output card built in, since you have the nio already I would invest in one of there analog mixers. Plus you really don't need the mackie effects either I don't think(one mackie effect send, as apposed to unlimited sends and effects in Live). Remember one effect for all track sends on the mackie. I know you only mentioned using line inputs, but if you ever need the preamp channels they look kinda weak on the ProFX line :(

hussey

Post by hussey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Wow, great advice Markemark. Very detailed. The only question I have is regarding the pedals. Can you explain to me what you mean by in front of or behind the mackie? Can you explain how it is setup? Is there any way, if i wanted to, send audio from Live, to the guitar pedals, and then back into Live. Is there an effects channel so to speak? So basically: audio from live > guitar pedal on mixer > audio (with guitar pedal effect) > back into Live. I'm looking at a Mackie VLZ 1402. Thank you Markemark.

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Oh, I thought you just wanted to put some of your hardware pedal effects in the signal chain before you connected the micron(or other device) to the mackie, that's why I said in front or behind the micron(just like for a guitar you would put distortion/overdrive in front of say a delay/reverb). So for instance your chain could look like this; boss OD-2(overdrive)>micron>boss DD-2(delay)>mackie. That's what I meant by in front or behind, your last output of coarse is to a mackie channel strip!! I was thinking the micron had an input(some synth's do) it self and you could plug something into it first(use its filters), but of course it has no input so there would be no device IN FRONT of it, sorry for the confusion :(
Yes, you could use your pedals to effect tracks in live, with the gear you have, there are several options let me outline one simple one that does not even involve the mixer yet:

In Live select the A Return track, from the browser go to live's devices and under audio effects drag in an "external audio effect" onto A Return track. Now on the effect set the "Audio to" for 3/4(I believe nio has two output pairs), connect the 3/4 on the nio to your outboard gear(pedals((use mono if you wish, just 3 or 4)). Now connect the output from you gear back to nio input 1/2(just 2 if you don't need stereo return since we like to keep 1 available as our recording input :D ) Then select "Audio from" on the "external audio effect" as input 2.

Now you can turn up the send A on any tracks you have in Live and they will output to A Return track>nio ouput 3>pedal>nio input 2>A Return track>Master track out>nio 1/2 :mrgreen:

hussey

Post by hussey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:12 pm

I dont think your entirely wrong man, I would like to daisy chain the micron to some effects. e.g. micron to pedals, and in the last pedal, connect that to an input in the Mackie. Your not wrong. I'm maybe confusing you. :) I was just wondering besides the idea I just mentioned, is it possible to have guitar pedals as effects, running into the Mackie, rather than being daisy chained with the Micron.

Here are the basic ideas 1) : micron > pedals > mackie > Live. This way i'm making sounds with the Micron with added affects and from there, the sounds travel into the Mackie and into Live. 2) Sound coming from Live to the Mackie, to the pedals, and then back again. Sorry, I should have made this clearer. I'm a fooooool :)

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:09 pm

OK, so number 1 is covered, and as far as 2 when you say: Sound coming from Live to the Mackie, to the pedals, and then back again. I would start to decide my entire setup because where is the final output from? Live to the nio outs or the mackie outs? Do you want to use the sends on the ableton mixer or the mackie mixer? Things like that. Also take into consideration your inputs and output on the nio are limited compared to the mixer. :(

I gave the example of using the send on the ableton mixer, because I think this gives more options but here's my take using the mackie mixer sends. Live>nio 1/2 output>Line in L/R on a mackie channel strip, send out on the mackie>pedal> return input on mackie. Turn up sends on mackie channel strips(ableton live's input) to taste!! Final output: mackie main out. If this sounds more like what you need then the method I mentioned first for recording into live has to be adjusted, because we now have a feedback loop from mackies main outs/tape out and ableton Live 8) No big deal because if you get the 1402 we can substitute our recording output from the mackie to the nio inputs as follows: mackie tape out>nio 1/2input
mackie alt3/4>nio 1/2input. Another reason not to get the FXPro, no alt3/4 bus!! shame on mackie that's there trademark mixer feature 8O