Poll: Upgrade to Live 8 Suite or Max For Live...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Choice: Max 4 Live or Live 8 Suite Upgrade

Max 4 Live
28%
Live 8 Suite Upgrade
47%
None of the Above, go out and get some air...
25%

Total votes: 36

julienb

Re: Poll: Upgrade to Live 8 Suite or Max For Live...

Post by julienb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:34 pm

mrtunes wrote:does m4L assist with any live looping tasks? if so, how does it help? i already have the suite but am considering the m4l upgrade.
what do you need exactly?
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

mrtunes

Post by mrtunes » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:44 pm

julienb wrote:
mrtunes wrote:does m4L assist with any live looping tasks? if so, how does it help? i already have the suite but am considering the m4l upgrade.
not really sure, but for starters the built-in looper pedal bakes sounds in. so if i do a quick loop of drums, bass and vocals, i can't mute out the drums for a break down.

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:54 pm

mrtunes wrote:
julienb wrote:
not really sure, but for starters the built-in looper pedal bakes sounds in. so if i do a quick loop of drums, bass and vocals, i can't mute out the drums for a break down.
did you already work with several loopers in a couple of tracks?
this device fits this need.
Julien Bayle

mrtunes

Post by mrtunes » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:14 pm

julienb wrote:did you already work with several loopers in a couple of tracks?
this device fits this need.
ok well maybe you can tell me what sort of tasks a live-looping musician would use max4Live for? that would maybe help me decide a little better :)

julienb

Post by julienb » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:11 am

I agree!
The big difference is:
out of the box full ready to use VS fixing existing bad designed stuff or even build it yourself from scratch (or not)
Julien Bayle

MonsieurBon

Post by MonsieurBon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:22 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
julienb wrote: personnally, since racks exist, I'm using them with the chain selector to change (swap.. indeed!) my preset.
I agree, it IS a workaround, because in that case, if you want to have 15 presets of operator changing automatically with clips for instance, it would involve 15 operator(s) with 1 preset instead of one operator with 15 presets.
btw, it works fine
I was doing that for a while. I felt like it was slowing down my workflow when editing sounds. Also it took sets much longer to load. I really hope Ableton implement storing presets in the next version. Seems like a MAJOR oversight. Operator is a sweet synth, I find it to be very unique and simple, and for BASS it is ultimately rich in low end. I always try to to get that out of NI stuff, and nothing compares to the bass punch, or low sub you can create with Operator. I feel like I would ditch many Reaktor synths, plus FM8 and Massive, if Operator stored presets and could be recalled via program change. Lately I have been using Operator on a chain in my Rack that contains Massive. I think Massive has a great layout/routing/possibilities, but Massive's Bass is amazingly weak in my book.

Although the Rack workaround works, it becomes less ideal the more "presets" you want to chain select from.
YES!

This is really what has been bugging me the most about Live. The creative process feels so hampered by having to click here, click there, click on the hot swap button, search around for presets, try them out, realize the hot swap button lost focus, re-enable, etc. And I've done the thing with racks and chain selectors and it reaaaaally bogs things down after a while.

Being the happy owner of a new Maschine, I can see what the other side looks like. Simple knobs to select categories and then the instrument/effect I want. Easy.

I also just purchased Kore 2 and Komplete 7. While they are far from perfect (and to answer the OP's questions), I wish I had purchased them rather than upgrading to Live 8 Suite AND M4L.

I do some generative stuff, and M4L let me actually make some of my crazy ideas work. I actually tried last night to reproduce a M4L patch I made in Reaktor and it went pretty smoothly. I like that things in Reaktor have names rather than having to type things in like in M4L. Reaktor also seems to have better bigger patches to work with, dissect, and integrate with other stuff. I find Max/MSP to be more cryptic at times.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:48 pm

exper wrote:Simple question. I have tons of softsynths, (NI Komplete, etc) The main thing I've always wanted in Suite was the Collision/Corpus compo.

Max 4 Live intrigues me, but I don't know how much diving I'd do. Are there enough midi machines, effects and such available to keep me busy until I can devote time to learn?
you own Komplete ,i'd say upgrade to Komplete 7.Absynth 5 and Reaktor Prism can do anything that Collision/Corpus can,and then some.but maybe you like Corpus/Collision more....
regarding Max for Live : what is it that you want to build with it?ARE you a builder?maybe you didn't like building with Reaktor,or perhaps wanted to improve your workflow in Live by getting MFL.......

your choice.i'd say pick the stuff that fuels your creativity like no other...............the rest is irrelevant imo.