Avant garde, abstract, noise, drone

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oddstep

Re: Avant garde, abstract, noise, drone

Post by oddstep » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:41 pm

Generative is well noughties, use runes :D
As a fellow wall of sounder something i do is create a number of returns with fairly vicious effects chains... looper, grain delay, saturator, ring modular on one and then another with a reverb, looper, phaser, eq and delay... frinstance.... and then send each return to both itself and the other send. Generally this builds up into a really incredible sound pretty quickly.. usually it becomes a question of how to stop it clipping really badly. Using this method plus resampling I reckon i could make a full on soundscape out of microphone buzz.

Oh yeah, check out usine.. its free and its really mad.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:55 pm

oddstep wrote:
glad you spoted it man!!! im ultra fan of underknown-usine, my favorite soft forever and yeah it can do awesome stuff relating this too.
I didn't spoke about it at the OP (for one time, i have the impression to mention it in every post i do lol) because he seems to be a novicee (just technically speaking), but sure it worth checking, especially for that kind of stuff...

hussey

Post by hussey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:06 am

oddstep wrote:Generative is well noughties, use runes :D
As a fellow wall of sounder something i do is create a number of returns with fairly vicious effects chains... looper, grain delay, saturator, ring modular on one and then another with a reverb, looper, phaser, eq and delay... frinstance.... and then send each return to both itself and the other send. Generally this builds up into a really incredible sound pretty quickly.. usually it becomes a question of how to stop it clipping really badly. Using this method plus resampling I reckon i could make a full on soundscape out of microphone buzz.

Thanks man. Are you using the built-in effects of Live?

hussey

Post by hussey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:15 am

oblique strategies wrote:No, it sends out MIDI to control other sound sources. I have it, but haven't gotten around to using it yet. I'll start working with it & let you know how I get on.

In the meantime, you can listen to this artist using Noatikl:
http://www.youtube.com/user/uncertainmusiccorps

Heliocentric - All The Time

All the "instruments" in this piece are created from sounds that were broadcast in the Jodrell Bank podcast of August 2008 "The Sounds of Space".

That podcast is available at http://www.jodcast.net/archive/200808Extra/ and is very well worth listening to.

In no particular order, the instruments are:
Proton Whistlers
Jovian S-burst
Solar doppler images
Solar energetic particles from the HELIOS mission

Plus the fine Lancastrian burr of Tim O'Brian.

All instruments were created in Kontakt, hosted in Logic Studio and driven by noatikl.
I had a listen to that seven minute piece, oblique. Fantastic. Really was. That was just sounds from the jodcast podcast? Really nice.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 am

hussey wrote: Thanks man. Are you using the built-in effects of Live?
Yeah mostly. I am just getting into usine for sound on sound madness, and i use a korg ms2000 for mid range pads and hissing noises... its developed sentimental value so I have to find uses for it! I suppose if i wanted real reverb i'd have to look elsewhere... but I don't...

hussey

Post by hussey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:51 am

Sweet. I just got a boss space echo, and i'm looking to get a couple more pedals, noisy little things. I wanna get a couple drone machines, as well. I've seen some on folktek, noise fx, and a brilliant one by eric archer. I just wanna introduce some lo-fi, you know.

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:58 am

oddstep wrote:usually it becomes a question of how to stop it clipping really badly.
By the way, know any answers to that question?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:07 am

Limiters on the sends. Pay attention to the mix. Watch out for midrange blare. Maybe put a v eq on the output. Keep it simple or get more people in to help with the music and mixing. Don't create big compression chains on anything that could feedback. A soundcheck is nice. Luck

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:27 am

that's seem to be the challenging part of that feedback art i dlike to understand as well.

it made me laugh cause i remember
one of my best friend completely drunk trippin during two hours moving forward and bacward our sound system with a mic
and playing with larsen, the cliping handling definitely seemed a problematic if ya don't have fast reflexs :mrgreen:

I guess always wondered, if compress or limiting, you reach some point where all still adds till the threshold limit and somehow get a bit squared no? shouldn't have some automated lowering of input source or via autopans, lfo fxs, stuff like that?

what happen if sidechaining the input, lowering it if outputs start cliping, that should provide kind of cycle
restart with som relase to prevent cliping?

you make me wanna test your art guys, gonna make some numeric feedback music this week ;)

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:11 am

hussey wrote:Sweet. I just got a boss space echo, and i'm looking to get a couple more pedals, noisy little things. I wanna get a couple drone machines, as well. I've seen some on folktek, noise fx, and a brilliant one by eric archer. I just wanna introduce some lo-fi, you know.
Interesting that you mention folktek. I have this:
familia: melanogaster
species: Dronescape Sequencer
"This is another collaborational work by Ben Houston and I. We made our own sequencer for this. It's based on magnetics = the opposing force pushes the custom metal parts down to make switches. The speed of the propeller is adjustable. This controls one of the bug circuits."
http://ariusblaze.com/soundart/melano/dronescape.html

hussey

Post by hussey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:24 am

Yeah, some interesting stuff their doing. A couple of bits are on sale on e-bay, at the moment.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:01 pm

hussey, check out Granite. I think you'll find it useful. And never mind the audio demos at the website, download the demo plug and see for yourself.

http://www.newsonicarts.com/

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:07 pm

One more thing, the mac demo is in an alpha/beta stage. After install, if the presets don't show just unlock permissions in the library/application support/New Sonic Arts/Granite folder and restart Live. Also the sample open dialog is not working yet. You will have to drag and drop your own samples onto the sample window.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:04 pm

hussey wrote:... Are you making similar stuff?
nowadays no, it's more like skewed pop music, not nearly as atmospheric as your links. the last drone music that i attempted to make was more than 10 years ago, using audiomulch. audiomulch is quite cool for this kind of music, but you basically want to make noise in audiomulch, record it, and pull it somewhere a bit more organized (such as ableton) to better sculpt the output. the audiomulch granulator effect is perhaps the best one out there. it sounds great, and has an outstanding versatility.

however, ableton's effects, in general, are perhaps the best effects i have ever heard. yes, i'm a fanboy, but i have messed with a few audio platforms in my time, and I find myself proudly and defiantly using ableton effects for virtually all fx duties. there is something about the ableton building-blocks approach that lends itself to experimentation and flexibility. the abe effects have a distinctive character, almost "boxy", that i really like, but i think many people pooh pooh this aspect of ableton. to each his own.

another dark secret about ableton is that many people use the samplers (simpler/sampler) basically as effects processors, or ways to further mangle sounds and loops. i've thought about doing this, but i don't.

max for live opened up some possibilities, but i don't use it as much as i should. i'm in fact waiting for some m4l gurus to release some outstanding suite of effects or widgets that seriously shifts my focus away from the built in ableton tools. to date, m4l has not yet reached that bar (for me) but i'm sure it will happen eventually, its just a matter of time.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:10 pm

UncleAge wrote:hussey, check out Granite. I think you'll find it useful. And never mind the audio demos at the website, download the demo plug and see for yourself.

http://www.newsonicarts.com/
yeah granite is cool.

synplant, mentioned earlier is cool. never befor has "mod wheel" aqcuired so much immediate power, lol