Live not supported as Major DAW.. Why?! Audient etc

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Digital_Damage

Re: Live not supported as Major DAW.. Why?! Audient etc

Post by Digital_Damage » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am

3phase wrote:
agent314 wrote:So you don't disagree, then?

:mrgreen:
no.. i ve recorded 20 gigabytes within the last 3 weeks..thats not doing no music...
recording 20 GB's of useless noise it not music.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:04 am

I'm sorry, but garage band IS a major DAW, look at this seriously, 2 minutes to make a hit :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj3lMXHrPlo

why do we even bother with comping and m4l ?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:57 am

Digital_Damage wrote:
3phase wrote:
agent314 wrote:So you don't disagree, then?

no.. i ve recorded 20 gigabytes within the last 3 weeks..thats not doing no music...
recording 20 GB's of useless noise it not music.
my friends say otherwise..time will tell
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Threads like this are always epically stupid.

Pro Tools/Logic/Cubase and so on didn't start out with all these features, in fact, a number of what has been mentioned in this thread are fairly new features and in the case of comping, it wasn't like it wasn't impossible before, just took a bit longer and a bit messier on screen. And even then, it was only necessary when the musician hadn't bothered to learn the part to start with, I've personally never understood why anything should take more than 2 takes, so comping to me isn't a "pro" feature at all, just a faster way of dealing with someone's laziness.

People need to stop rewriting history, no DAW is perfect and if all of them were, they'd all be exactly the same.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:05 pm

Well not everyone has experience or knowledge of these features, so what's wrong with pointing them out.

As for Cubase, they've had lane/take recording and comping since SX2 which came out in 2003. Logic (v8) and PT are more recent in their implementations.

Of course diversity and differences are great - this is why I use Live and Cubase combined ... one compliments the other.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:14 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Well not everyone has experience or knowledge of these features, so what's wrong with pointing them out.
Nothing wrong with pointing them out, I'm just making the point that "professional" music was made without any of these features for decades. It's great we can do all this stuff with software, but at the same time, it's like moaning a new car doesn't Sat Nav and is therefore inferior to all other cars.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:18 pm

The simple fact is most pro shops don't use Live for mix down.

End of story really, just because you can mix down in Live, doesn't in any way make it a bright idea for a hardware company to spend resources supporting that feature in an overpriced boutique mixing desk when 99.99% of Live users are going to get a Novation Remote Behringer or Mackie Control instead.

YILA

Post by YILA » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:27 am

Machinesworking wrote:The simple fact is most pro shops don't use Live for mix down.

End of story really, just because you can mix down in Live, doesn't in any way make it a bright idea for a hardware company to spend resources supporting that feature in an overpriced boutique mixing desk when 99.99% of Live users are going to get a Novation Remote Behringer or Mackie Control instead.
What's a pro shop?.. That's where they fix cars, why we talking about sat navs?!

It's not overpriced / boutique.. It's a top of the range mixing desk AND a controller, last time I looked Mackie control looks over priced.. 1.2k!.. for 3.5? Not so bad...

I checked out the Nucleus the other day.. It works really well, but there's a few issues.. I.e all sends don't show up and there are no overlays so AGAIN all the buttons are labelled for Logic Protools and Cubase. Guy at the shop said check the Mackie control to see what it's overlay says.. anyone got a copy of the Live overlay I can see? They told me they supported it, but all they needed to do was supply a simple overlay / piece of docu and they might of had my money
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:55 am

ShelLuser wrote:
The Carpet Cleaner wrote:I'm sorry, but garage band IS a major DAW, look at this seriously, 2 minutes to make a hit :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj3lMXHrPlo

why do we even bother with comping and m4l ?
ROFL :lol:

Did that guy just say that its "f*ing re*rded" or such at the end?

Cool video, maybe posted seriously but I actually laughed my ass off at the end (still not sure if thats a good, bad or alcohol thing ;))
Hehe, no I was just kiding, Garage band is not "pro", but my point was that, here we are suposed to be between smart people using Ableton live, and still there is those stupid thread coming everytime. I don't mind those thread cause they are funny, but people need to understand that a DAW is just a tool.

So you need the tool do to the job.

You don't want to use a hammer to screw, right?

Well I don't think Live is the best tool to record a rock band with multitrack, etc...

but it's good at something else. And so on, for each DAWs, each tools.

And in a way, Garage band is professional, why not ?
It's not the best toool, but you can use samples from it and make hit and buy a swimming pool with it, while lots of people use Pro-tools and are shit .

There.

YILA

Post by YILA » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:08 am

Not the best tool to record a rock band?

It's got tracks.. and you can record on them.. job done!..

If however your producing an artist from X-Factor then you'd need comping..
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:48 am

YILA wrote:Not the best tool to record a rock band?

It's got tracks.. and you can record on them.. job done!..

If however your producing an artist from X-Factor then you'd need comping..
That's my point
You can swap a screw driver for a knife, and it might work.
But a real one is better.

Same for Live. You can record a rock band. But for this task, there is better tools. Comping, volume automation, lots of details that make other DAWs more suited for this task.

But that doesn't mean there is a DAW more professional than another one. it's depends on what you need to do with it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:46 am

YILA wrote: What's a pro shop?.. That's where they fix cars, why we talking about sat navs?!
Recording studios and Television/film studios. Top of the line is going to mainly sell to those places. While they might have a copy of Live, it's not what they will be using to mix down tracks. So expecting them to include a Live template or being upset when a company that only includes basically three DAW templates, (the three major ones), isn't doing a Live one is not being very logical. Even Mackie Control I think had to have support from DAW manufacturers, so it's a two way street there. Live has Mackie control support, plenty of hardware out there can be used in Mackie Control mode. :)

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:24 pm

3phase wrote: my friends say otherwise..time will tell
They prob also say you don't look like a Gollum from Lord of the Rings with a touch of down syndrome.

They are wrong about that too.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Digital_Damage wrote:
3phase wrote: my friends say otherwise..time will tell
They prob also say you don't look like a Gollum from Lord of the Rings with a touch of down syndrome.

They are wrong about that too.

try this link .. there you find some help fanboy..

http://www.acnetreatmenthelp.com/
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:43 pm

guys,a war started here. calm down. who cares if somebody do not see the value in my hands? i do not see the value of many things other people utilize. i worked on mac and pc, and mostly all brand daws. who cares what somebody thinks? i never had something so creative, stable, energic as live. that`s it. enough for me. when i "live", i fly and do not think about computer, software or other shit. visions come true. live is my tool #1! keep your daws if you want. keep up the great job, ableton! best program i ever put my hands on!
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs