Apple buys Ableton!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by Piplodocus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:42 pm

That link seems to go to a YouTube video that doesn't work on my iPhone. Maybe THATs an apple virus? :-o

Can't find it on appleinsider either! Is someone pulling our plunger?
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:55 pm

agent314 wrote:Apples are currently only 10% of the market share for computers.
Microsoft has 0% of the market share for computers. :P

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:00 pm

H20nly wrote: :lol: like you'd fucking know even if you did have a virus... :lol: :lol: :lol:

you sound like a jock that thinks he doesn't need a condom.

some dude in a far off country is using your info to forge documents right now. you'll know and try to stop it when your credit is fucked. Strange logic.
Chill. I'd rather not worry about problems that haven't even been shown to exist. If you like using PCs, go ahead. But if one of your reasons for liking them is that Apples have viruses, that's pretty... Have a nice day.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:14 pm

icool ilove iableton on my iphone.

send from my iass

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:15 pm

Microsoft has 0% of the market share for computers.
Holy fuck - watch out, gentleman. We've got ourselves a Master Semantician.

He's likely to drop one of those shitty 'what is the third word in the English language' riddles on us at any time.

neal909

Post by neal909 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:27 pm

i got a monty python thing when i clicked that link which i find even more unfunny than apple taking over Ableton (although laughing at your own farts is hardly as serious). Ableton have worked harder than anybody to make there application cross platform and it would be a pity to see this go into reverse. the whole apple v pc thing is even a worse joke

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:04 am

agent314 wrote:Irrespective of the technical issues, Apples are currently only 10% of the market share for computers.

If someone is writing malware in hopes of profiting from it (either financially or in terms of data-theft), it's silly to spend long hours developing something that's going to affect at most 1 out of every 10 users that encounter it (and that's assuming it hits every Apple user)
i get the point that you're trying to make, but consider this... since probably less than 10% of that 10% are actually doing anything to attempt to prevent it, it seems like a gold mine to me. its 9% of the computer industry posturing posing and saying "that'll never happen to me" despite the fact that in some cases it probably already is.

for example the script i'm using to trace back IP addresses to the users that have posted in this thread only takes 3 posts and will soon give me the address of their routers. from there i find the MAC address of their NIC and change its firmware to spoof other MAC addresses and pretty soon i'll be able to post bunk facebook statuses and order shit from Amazon using their cookies and stored passwords while i use their (Apple) Macs to send out emails for online pharmacies to sell placebo erection pills to the world.

Live 8 didn't actually have any bugs Mwahahahahahahhahahahaha! :twisted:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

budwzr

Post by budwzr » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 am

So Apple makes a few simpleton devices for the 10% of dullards out there. THAT'S WHY they're so expensive!!!!! Hello!!!!

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:56 am

Of course keeping it cross platform, I wouldn't mind if Apple bought Ableton. Look what they did for Logic (obviously other than dumping pc), the app, the content and the price. Looking at some recent threads and posts from 3phase et al has got me thinking there's really not much beyond the ability to (just about) automate any plugin parameter, better metering and an external gear plugin that i've really bothered with the past couple of upgrades for. That's a lot of cash for some pretty basic functionality however you look at it. Of course upgrading or not is always an individual's option, if you don't like the channel switch off the tv. Yes it's a great, innovative piece of kit that does some things no others really do but another recent post about Live support not being included in a pro-spec'd app, to me was totally understandable. Even without going all-out bloat and becoming 'all the other' apps, there are so many glaring holes and omissions who's development seems to get 2nd-rated by amps and bridges and 3rd party tie-ups that Live seems to be becoming everything BUT Live, constantly trying to find new carrots to dangle in front of undecided donkeys. If Live 9 came out touting "No Sharemaxampbridgeblahblahblah. Nothing New Except Solidly Built User Requests and Properly Fixed Gripes", I'd be at the front of queue.
'Scuse the waiting room rant.

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:50 am

agent314 wrote:
Microsoft has 0% of the market share for computers.
Holy fuck - watch out, gentleman. We've got ourselves a Master Semantician.

He's likely to drop one of those shitty 'what is the third word in the English language' riddles on us at any time.
Hmmm, must have touched a nerve just by pointing out that Apple has a completely different business model than Microshit or Dell/HP/anyothercrapboxmaker.

and what's apple's market share among creative users, when you exclude the 99% of PC users who just use Outlook all day at work?

at least the market share apple does have was earned by making a decent product. the market share microsoft has is the legacy of a network effect and a bunch of antitrust violations. it certainly wasn't earned based on that godawful operating system. :twisted:

i actually HATE many things about apple's business model, closed universe, forced products, etc. but i just think osx, and most mac versions of apps, are way more stable and easy to use than PCs, so that's why i do.

signing off this thread. the stupid title (c'mon, you have to click on that title) is how i got sucked in. normally wouldn't go near one of these mac v. pc threads. enjoy.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:12 am

Apple are very good at marketing but I dont believe OS X is better than Win7 in a any way. And this debate is stupid as you use softwares, not your system.

- Mac are better for graphic design? false, both have the same softwares. Adobe suite run a bit faster and better under windows at this moment.

- PC are better for 3D? False, both have good 3d packages. However XSI and 3DS max are windows only.

- Mac have better Hardware? False. If you buy a 700$ Dell and expect the same quality as a 3000$ mac, you are an idiot. Apples and oranges. You can get excellent quality hardwares when building a pc that will put Apple foxconn parts to shame for a third of the price.

- PC have Virus? False. Get a firewall and scan from time to time with a free anti-virus and you should be all right. I dont have a anti-virus soft on my pc workstation and I browse the web quite a lot. No problem so far.

- PC crashes more? False. If you get good parts, you should not have much trouble. Most crash are related to bad memory module. As for softwares... some VST make ableton freeze, yes. Both on mac and pc.

- Mac have bad graphics? False, if you pay the price you can get higher graphic cards.

Its all come down to that old "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" question again. Some prefer buying an expensive BMW and leave the reparations to the garage... some prefer getting a subaru and do the maintenance themselves.

As for me, I got both mac and pc laying around and I love my Iphone!!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:15 am

dave999z wrote:and what's apple's market share among creative users, when you exclude the 99% of PC users who just use Outlook all day at work?
i know you said you're out and all but if you come back... well know this... i totally agree with that statement there ^

of course, how many Mac users couldn't trouble shoot their way through a reboot without Apple holding their hand?

in the end its all the same. and really, are we talking OS vs. OS or hardware vs. hardware because there are plenty of other companies (Dell, Gateway) just as asshole headed as Apple out there.

still, Windows 7 is 8) and yeah Mac vs. PC, meh... sometimes its fun just to :evil: a little. :wink:
Last edited by H20nly on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:18 am

dave999z wrote: and what's apple's market share among creative users, when you exclude the 99% of PC users who just use Outlook all day at work?
about the same
in 2D/3D pictures it's mostly PC workstations in most industries for 3D, as well as in 2D/3D compositing,
wich is a consequent part of the 'creative' stuff you daily view on tv, web or cinema.
Aplle is more on video Editing final cut, and Audio Protools.
Print domain is about adobe running on booth
and globall independant music makers i would say the same 50/50 are pc and mac user in creative stuff we hear.

ibdk

Post by ibdk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:53 am

fx23 wrote: in 2D/3D pictures it's mostly PC workstations in most industries for 3D, as well as in 2D/3D compositing,
wich is a consequent part of the 'creative' stuff you daily view on tv, web or cinema.
Aplle is more on video Editing final cut, and Audio Protools.
Print domain is about adobe running on booth
and globall independant music makers i would say the same 50/50 are pc and mac user in creative stuff we hear.
Don't forget Linux at larger VFX shops, maybe a couple legacy Irix machines.

Smoke is now on OSX. I don't know if autodesk put it on windows.
I know very few effects houses that use XSI or 3DMax. Most seem to use Maya, Mental Ray, Houdini or proprietary software (again under Linux). I assume Linux due to costs, scalability, and network administration.
In the high end larger facilities, OSX and Windows both lose to Linux overall.

My professional musician friends all use Mac, I don't know one Windows user making money in music.

One thing about the Mac, I know what color I'm looking at on screen usually matches the real color printed or output to tape w/ much less hassles than my experience in Windows. Color calibration in windows is a crapshoot.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:09 am

ibdk wrote: I know very few effects houses that use XSI or 3DMax. Most seem to use Maya, Mental Ray, Houdini or proprietary software (again under Linux). I assume Linux due to costs, scalability, and network administration.
In the high end larger facilities, OSX and Windows both lose to Linux overall.
?? here in Paris, (i work as 2D/3D cgi) from few years and 80 percent of advertising are done on 3DSmax and Vray.
Long movies FX are on porieatary linux indeed, with sometimes maya ports for animation, some very rare Xsi prodz,
but here it's mostly Max and vray, cause of speed and production rentability, and nb of operators,
rather than Maya or Mental ray, and never seen prodz on Houdini, so all the buisness is on PC.
ive neverseen 3D Mac renderfarms, some rare users posts and in booth cases they are running windows.
. and Flame will stay the high end for a while and won't see compositing on Mac replacing it yet,
but Nuke and afterFx are more and more used, mostly on PC too.
Last edited by fx23 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.