Apple buys Ableton!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
sporkles
Posts: 3193
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by sporkles » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:07 pm

I think that this time we might actually get to the bottom of this! Eagerly resubscribing!

Oh, might I add that I will make the outcome of this debate the basis for my next computer purchase? Yes: the platform that
wins the Mac v. PC war will be my next platform!

Machinesworking
Posts: 11122
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:17 pm

McQ714 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:I will say this though, OSX is far more geared out of the box for working with audio, that, is an undisputed FACT...
Show me on the performance test results where this is true! You say i'm only giving personal opinions on this matter but you have no supporting evidence of your "undisputed FACT". Guess what... i'm disputing it, therefore it is no longer undisputed and you are WRONG!!! You realize that you cannot make this judgment based on what some tests of older computers and older OSes say. The test systems RME used were mostly running XP and Vista which is no indication of how W7 would perform on those systems. Someone needs to run the same exact test on a OSX and W7 (not bootcamped) on the same computer. Show me those results in favor of OSX and perhaps I'll change my tune. I respect RME but they need to update their test systems. Those tests seemed pretty biased to me. didn't look like they had any windows machines that had come out in the last 6 months.
Christ? No really? Read what I wrote again, slowly. Out of the box OSX is more geared towards running audio. No third party ASIO needed. No third party network MIDI needed, plenty of hardware devices already profiled in Audio MIDI Setup. Aggregate devices supported on the OS level. Sure, you can run around the internet and set up Windows to do all this stuff, (some of it is not free, or the free version isn't stable btw), but the point is Apple actually bothered to create standards and applications with music creation in mind. That is an undisputed FACT.

AFA RME, sure they should do a test with W7, no doubt, but it pains you so much that RME, a very arguably pro PC more than Mac company in the past acknowledged that Apple did something right with Snow Leopards USB standards. I think it's hilarious that you would attempt to say that RME are being unfair. Think about it for a moment, they're a business, they sell OS independent hardware, Firewire is very arguably a better standard on OSX than Windows, so who's going to be the main market for a high end USB based audio card? They had no rational reason to "side" with OSX, and ZERO history of favoring OSX.
Here's the gist of it again.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fir ... uc_general

They never say it wont work, just that it's not as easy, and the tiny single OSX paragraph VS the five paragraphs for Windows backs that up.

My point isn't that Macs are better, it's that certain people will NEVER admit to anything cool about OSX or Apple, and that's just as lame IMO as Apple fanboys claiming that OSX is superior because they were told so by a marketing campaign.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11122
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:20 pm

sporkles wrote:I think that this time we might actually get to the bottom of this! Eagerly resubscribing!

Oh, might I add that I will make the outcome of this debate the basis for my next computer purchase? Yes: the platform that
wins the Mac v. PC war will be my next platform!
I'm going to "win" the war for Mac, then buy a PC, because that's how I roll.

Donnie
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Contact:

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by Donnie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:47 pm

beats me wrote:Apple haters think the simple act of somebody using an Apple product in public is trying to convert people. More common is a PC user complains about their experience and an Apple user suggests they try a Mac. If the same PC user continues to buy PCs and continues to complain then yeah the Apple user will probably get more snide about the suggestion.
LOL. As a PC user, I cant tell you how many times ive had to go out of my way to ignore the adamant ramblings of someone who refuses to shut up about how great apple is without me saying a thing (in the most arrogant way possible, i must add). Its even worse when a total moron is puffing their chest with no technical knowledge, and is just some trendy douche. Which is many times the case, because power users of both Mac and PC could typically give a shit about what other people are using. They know the real power and preference lies with the user, the computer is just a tool.

taoyoyo
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:17 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by taoyoyo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:49 pm

Donnie wrote: They know the real power and preference lies with the user, the computer is just a tool.
Though sometimes it's just the user that's a tool! :mrgreen:
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:52 pm

I think I'm having a sympathetic pot kettle moment. As great as Windows 7 may be, the main reason I refuse to give PCs a chance right now is their fanboy users bagging on Apple. Not such a selling point.

:lol:

Donnie
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Contact:

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by Donnie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:01 pm

beats me wrote:I think I'm having a sympathetic pot kettle moment. As great as Windows 7 may be, the main reason I refuse to give PCs a chance right now is their fanboy users bagging on Apple. Not such a selling point.

:lol:
Well, at least you have your priorities straight

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*makes a call on his iPhone*

abluesky
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by abluesky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:15 pm

http://dawbench.com/

Interesting comparison between different flavors of Windows, Mac OSX, DAWs, and different types of plugins.

budwzr
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by budwzr » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Steve Jobs started Apple with a simple premise, "Less Is More", and sold it as "It just works". GENIUS!

ItsAllSticky
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by ItsAllSticky » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:29 pm

taoyoyo wrote:Though sometimes it's just the user that's a tool! :mrgreen:
FTW!!!!!!!!
-Ian

Live 8.2.1 (XP) :: RME Fireface UC :: PT LE 8 :: MBox 2 Mini :: Axiom 49 Classic :: Roland FC-300

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:23 pm

McQ714 wrote: You cannot deny that ipads are way overpriced..

And thats based on what? The plethora of quality tablets from competitors that are getting rave reviews and selling like hotcakes? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When a true iPad killer is released and is less money AND works as flawlessly as the iPad, give us a jingle.

Until then, kill yourself.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

taoyoyo
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:17 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by taoyoyo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:50 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
McQ714 wrote: You cannot deny that ipads are way overpriced..

And thats based on what? The plethora of quality tablets from competitors that are getting rave reviews and selling like hotcakes? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When a true iPad killer is released and is less money AND works as flawlessly as the iPad, give us a jingle.

Until then, kill yourself.
I think iPads are priced correctly as they include the Smug Tax that all First-Gen users have to pay.

I'll be waiting for the nice retina display screen and a price drop before buying one though will admit to wanting one sooner.

(I am an Apple user, don't get along that well with PCs personally. Don't care which one is 'better' just that each does the job for the user).
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

mescalin
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Radlett, Herts, UK

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by mescalin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:53 pm

you c**nt :lol:

seriously that would be.. well it would be the end, i'd have to buy one of those f***ing things! cos as much as I hate macs, omg life without ableton, I can't imagine that

Ableton 8, NI Massive, Max 4 Live, other stuff

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:01 pm

touchAble is so fucking AWESOME that any so called 'premium' that one would pay for an iPad is more than made up for.

True story, that.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

agent314
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by agent314 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:41 am

I prefer PCs but I think the iPad is an awesome device, and for 500USD, definitely not overpriced.

That said, I won't consider getting one until the new model ships.

Post Reply