Apple buys Ableton!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
taoyoyo
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:17 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by taoyoyo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:23 am

So... has Apple... like... bought Ableton then?
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

Piplodocus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:48 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:23 am

Ah, the tired old Mac vs. PC debate! I know the REAL answer!!!...

PCs suck.

Macs suck.

Linux Rules!!!

No, I'm lying; Linux sucks too. They're computers. Computers suck. They get in the way of my life. They hinder my music making. They aid my procrastination. I used to write more music ( and play live a LOT more) when computers weren't involved. Equally they let me make music and stay in contact in ways I couldn't without one. I have a Mac. I'm very glad I bought it. I also use Win7, and it seems pretty damn good. I also dual boot my mac into Windows 7 sometimes (for MS Visual Studio and PIC programming). My Macbook cost a similar amount to a VERY similar spec'ed Alienware (and many others I looked at) when I bought it. It's not as good graphics (Dual SLI) and was a bit more expensive, but with incomparable big multitouch glass trackpad with inertial scrolling, whilst being thinner and lighter so easier to travel with, and a few other nice little features here and there. All computers annoy me. So far this one's annoyed me less than the previous ones. Choose you weapon and use it to produce something good, not bemoan other peoples choices. Are you a Christian, Muslim, Jew, spiritualist or atheist? I don't care, but if it makes you happy believe your decision is better than everyone elses, but don't try to tell the rest of the world they're all fools and your opinion is the right one.
Image
Mac OSX: 10.8.2, Live Suite: 9.0.2 (64-bit) Live user since:v5 (Above now has an APC40, 8GB RAM and a Diezel 212F Cab but currently too lazy to re-draw it all)

Tone Deft
Posts: 24062
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:03 am

Image
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

sporkles
Posts: 3196
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by sporkles » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:46 am

Tone Deft wrote:Image
That's going to give me nightmares for weeks... Appleton iLive 8O

Ableton_David
Posts: 1766
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:31 pm
Location: Ableton
Contact:

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by Ableton_David » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:51 pm

taoyoyo wrote:So... has Apple... like... bought Ableton then?
Nope. Not happening.

Zygi
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:10 pm

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by Zygi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:27 pm

David Abravanel wrote:
taoyoyo wrote:So... has Apple... like... bought Ableton then?
Nope. Not happening.
That would be... i(l)Logic-al ;]

c5_convertible
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by c5_convertible » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:20 pm

I have both an imac 27" and a couple PC's. My PC's are all running Windows 7 and are rock solid, with up-to-date drivers and good hardware. Is it cheaper than a similarly specced mac? Hell yes.
I don't have a problem with people that like their macs. What I do have a problem is with people that are comparing a current mac (as most software cannot run on the old macs anymore, their hardware will be newer than XP is) and a current OS with an OS of 10 years ago. Was XP good? It wasn't bad. But windows 7 is a lot better than XP ever was. And more stable, and more secure.
Do I like my imac? Yes, I do. Do I find it better quality than my PC? No, I don't. It uses exactly the same hardware as a normal priced pc. Is it more stable? No, it isn't. I had my mac crash more than my pc, and I only have my imac for about 7 months now. Is the Mac faster than my PC? marginally, but that has more to do with the fact that the imac has an i5 and 12GB of ram, and the pc has a Q9550 Quad core and 8GB ram than it has with it being a mac. Is the imac better looking? Yes, which is why I bought it.
Is OSX a good os? Yes, it is. But not better than Windows 7. If I look at what OS X Lion is about to offer, I find a lot of stuff in there that Windows 7 already has.

Each os has its ups and downs. I don't like the way the finder works in OSX and like Windows Explorer much better as it is more powerful. There are some things I don't like about Windows either.
But, like I said, I don't have a problem with either one. I just have a problem with the MAC fanboys comparing apples and oranges.. For music making, when you buy good hardware, the experience will be the same. After all, it's the mind that makes music, not the computer. Listeners don't even care what computer you made it on. Or what application. Whatevers trips your trigger is what works best. I don't pretend that I make good music (if anyone could even call it music), but it sucks exactly the same way whether I do it on a mac, using Logic or Live, or on a pc using FL Studio, Mixcraft, Live or Sonar.

And if you want to pay the premium price of a mac, and are happy with that, good for you!!

fx23
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by fx23 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:49 pm

W7 is better than OSX on many points, not to mention you access to at least 2x more softs, free stuff ect as PC dev emulation
is 80 percent of market, half of my vsts and pro appz i use are simply not avaible on OSX.

so when i got my MBP, it took me two months to give a shot at OSX, then i formatted and put back W7.
I felt like atlast out of a restricted jail, and i still can't stand not being able to simply drop my Mp3s
directly on my iphone but having to run Itunes. WTF

Apple run less stuff but run them better, on better hardware, but is a locked world.
PC is more open and modular, cheaper at equal perf, but suffers from more issues and more virus, wich is logical.

all depends of users uses, but i find there is a higher percentage of fanboys that have been Iformated
than people claiming 'microsoft rulez', so even if exeptions, i think Pc users are globally more open minded.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:17 pm

fx23 wrote:all depends of users uses, but i find there is a higher percentage of fanboys that have been Iformated
than people claiming 'microsoft rulez', so even if exeptions, i think Pc users are globally more open minded.
Apple fanboys - smug short form confidence
PC fanboys - whiny novel-esque defensiveness

There's no shortage of either. It's a matter of presentation.

necho
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm
Location: (y)UK

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by necho » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:25 pm

David Abravanel wrote:
taoyoyo wrote:So... has Apple... like... bought Ableton then?
Nope. Not happening.
Not until Ableton is stable enough, anyway :-P
_________
sigs suck.

fx23
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by fx23 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:44 pm

@ beats me

i think there are more 'PC (apple fanboys) hater' than 'PC fanboys', and they are less numbered than 'Apple Fanboys'.

personnaly i feel more like an Apple(ideology) hater (but using their HW) rather than a 'PC fanboy'. mind you the subtility behind this is hard to catch, but you see what i mean, it's about the religious Iexpansionism. PC users are less wanting to convert the world, wich is somehow normal cause most of the world run windows, whereas some apple user have a high tendency to devote
themself to a war against windows.

McQ714
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by McQ714 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:10 pm

Machinesworking wrote:BTW if Apple are over priced why is Apple doing so well in a recession?
Because people are like sheep!!! They follow the crowds however stupid it may be. You cannot deny that ipads are way overpriced.. that is not a personal opinion. And we're hardly in a recession anymore. just because the unemployment rate is near 10% doesn't mean the other 90% of people have stopped wasting money. they see something shiny like the iphone 4g and the ipads and they have to get them because it's the latest and greatest.
Machinesworking wrote:I will say this though, OSX is far more geared out of the box for working with audio, that, is an undisputed FACT...
Show me on the performance test results where this is true! You say i'm only giving personal opinions on this matter but you have no supporting evidence of your "undisputed FACT". Guess what... i'm disputing it, therefore it is no longer undisputed and you are WRONG!!! You realize that you cannot make this judgment based on what some tests of older computers and older OSes say. The test systems RME used were mostly running XP and Vista which is no indication of how W7 would perform on those systems. Someone needs to run the same exact test on a OSX and W7 (not bootcamped) on the same computer. Show me those results in favor of OSX and perhaps I'll change my tune. I respect RME but they need to update their test systems. Those tests seemed pretty biased to me. didn't look like they had any windows machines that had come out in the last 6 months.

But I will not change my opinion that Macs and most everything Apple is way over-priced. Spec them out. Price a 17" MBP with 2.8 ghz dual core i7, 8 gb ram, anti-glare screen and a 500 gb 7200 rpm hard drive. It would cost $3200. Now spec out the same for HP Envy. For $3200, I could get a 17" HP Envy with a SSD and a 640 gb 7200 rpm drive, a quad core i7 cpu, 8 gb ram. a blu-ray player, a 1 gb video card instead of Apple's 512 mb, a USB 3.0 port, and a 4-year warranty and you'd still have money left over. and the HP envy looks damn good!

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:28 pm

fx23 wrote:@ beats me

i think there are more 'PC (apple fanboys) hater' than 'PC fanboys', and they are less numbered than 'Apple Fanboys'.

personnaly i feel more like an Apple(ideology) hater (but using their HW) rather than a 'PC fanboy'. mind you the subtility behind this is hard to catch, but you see what i mean, it's about the religious Iexpansionism. PC users are less wanting to convert the world, wich is somehow normal cause most of the world run windows, whereas some apple user have a high tendency to devote
themself to a war against windows.
Internet forums are a vaccum and this kind of passionate debating doesn't really happen out on the streets.

Apple haters think the simple act of somebody using an Apple product in public is trying to convert people. More common is a PC user complains about their experience and an Apple user suggests they try a Mac. If the same PC user continues to buy PCs and continues to complain then yeah the Apple user will probably get more snide about the suggestion.

fx23
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by fx23 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:42 pm

personally, im not complaining about people using iphones, as i use one as well, neither i complain myself about PCs waiting
for someone to advice me to run osx, cause indeed i would lol at his suggestion, cause that's exactly the point:
mac users has a very sofisticated radar to detect any tiny pb a windows user may have, and to gloriously come and say
"yeah you know on osx that's flawless"
"yeah but on osx you don't..."
ect
flamewar
ect

ItsAllSticky
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Apple buys Ableton!!!

Post by ItsAllSticky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:07 pm

You'd think that both Apple and Windows had 10's of millions of developers each, given the passion (read hatred) with which so many people write about their products. We should post songs we've made and hate on each other's poor mixing skills...at least we're actually responsible for those products ; )

P.S. I have a XP PC and a Powerbook, they seem to get along fine
-Ian

Live 8.2.1 (XP) :: RME Fireface UC :: PT LE 8 :: MBox 2 Mini :: Axiom 49 Classic :: Roland FC-300

Post Reply