EC/24 eSATA = luv?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
nowtime

EC/24 eSATA = luv?

Post by nowtime » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 am

I don't hear much discussion about eSata. Is it a standard no-brainer nowadays, or are there problems with it? (I've read some blog talking about transfer errors - can't find it right now). I'm thinking about getting an adapter for expresscard.
Life is Good

Donnie

Re: EC/24 eSATA = luv?

Post by Donnie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Im all about esata. Especially powered esata, the ones with the usb port in the middle of it. Never had a problem with esata, it provides great performance. Only downside of it is that if you dont have powered esata available, or a proper enclosure to steal the power from a usb port, it is not quite as convienient.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:15 pm

been advocating it since i got an external enclosure with an eSATA port. makes those firewire 400/800 connections seem slow in comparison :)

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:54 pm

I'd love it, if i'd use external drives at all. Which i don't. But otherwise, esata all the way (till usb3 or lightpeak takes over, or something like that.. then again, for hdd's, nothing faster than esata matters, as they're too slow themselves)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 am

for minimum hassle, get one of the better supported eSATA ExpressCards (e.g. Sonnet or Firmtek).

also, check the specs since some cards are faster than others.

steko

Post by steko » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:13 am

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:55 am

Gracias!

that's pretty scary to me.

"(Another) Reminder to Run Checksum/Corruption tests w/eSATA Cards (especially JMB360's)
I know regular readers are probably tired of seeing this warning, but had another MacBook Pro/JMB360 eSATA expresscard owner (this one running 10.6.5) write he didn't see the previous warnings (including a 'sticky' (red) on the expresscards page) about testing for data corruption before assuming all is OK. (He'd moved his iTunes folder to an external SATA drive and deleted the original before seeing the warning. Apparently had no other backup copy of it.) He later tried the DMG mount test (for example OS X Combo Updater) and found it failed the checksum test run before the dmg is mounted. (I'd run the test at least 10 times (copy DMG to eSATA HD, try to mount it, delete it and recopy/test again) - preferably more. And of course even 1 failure out of 100 is too many.)
I'm not sure the problem exists with pre-OS X 10.6, as I had already updated to 10.6 when I first used the eSATA expresscard (and reports on this in the last year were from SL/10.6.x users), but regardless of OS used, I'd check for this before using the card. (I never saw a failure with a SIL3132 card using several versions of the OS X driver for it, or when using the onboard FW800 or USB ports.) "

I wonder if anyone has had direct experience with this using eSata. That sweet looking flush-fitting OWC Slim Esata expresscard uses the aforementioned JMB360.
Life is Good

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:12 am

i've been using a dual-port Silicon Image 3132 based ExpressCard/34 adaptor with my MacBook Pro for a couple of years now. no corruption issues.

i'm still on 10.5.8 though, and one of the reasons i didn't upgrade to Snow Leopard was because for a number of months there were no working drivers for SI3132 cards.