Has anyone used an Akai MPK 88?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hull

Has anyone used an Akai MPK 88?

Post by Hull » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:25 pm

I need to get a 88-key hammer-action keyboard for home use with Ableton. Abelton supports the Akai MPK keyboards, and I noticed that they have a hammer-action 88-key version. I've not been able to get my hands on this with any of the local music stores, and before I drive anywhere, or take the gamble I'm wondering if anyone has used this keyboard and would recommend it?

Thanks!

T
Hull
Dymaxion Groove Records
http://dymaxion.fm

Peripatetic

Re: Has anyone used an Akai MPK 88?

Post by Peripatetic » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:40 pm

I have one. My only complaint is that the keys are kind of loud. It's not really a problem but it's annoying and you'll know what I mean when I play it. The main reason I chose it is cos I wanted an 88-key for piano stuff and the only reasonably priced options at the time were this one and the M-Audio one. I've heard more bad things about the M-Audio than the Akai so I went with Akai. Also, I got it new for basically half price because GC had it on sale, Akai had a $150 rebate and I had some GC coupons.

I'll be honest, I haven't touched a real piano in years so how it compares to I real piano, I can't really say. But I'm plenty happy with it.
iMac, Ableton Suite 8, NI Komplete 7, NI Maschine, NI Kore 2, Reason 5, Arturia V-Collection, Akai APC40, Novation SL49 MKII, Akai MPK88, NI Audio Kontrol 1

Hull

Post by Hull » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks, Peripatetic. The loud keys seems to be a pretty common complaint on this keyboard. I looked into a Doepfer PK88, but it doesn't offer all of the controller functionalities that the Akai does. I'm sure the Doepfer is a great-feeling instrument for a pianist, but I need something I can use as a pianist and a producer.
Hull
Dymaxion Groove Records
http://dymaxion.fm

flashy12

Post by flashy12 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:58 pm

pianists with specific key action tastes may be more picky but for a producer wanting all those features in a SOLID I mean SOLID studio piece this is the one to get.

I'm not a traditional "piano" player though the mpk 88 keys remind me of my grandmother's big old piano keys. They are kinda loud compared to no hammer action but if you have the music playing it should not be an issue.

What I do like about the 88 is the 16 mpc pads, the transport controls the faders, everything just automatically works right out of the box with live 8.

The far right side of the mpk 88 is big enough to place a computer monitor on or imac if you have one.

On the left side beside the 16 pads I put a mini usb keyboard and a usb trackpad so that I can do everything Ableton related from right there on the mpk 88 and not have to grab the reg mouse or comp keyboard.

800 dollars is alot for a midi controller keyboard sure, but I won't ever have to buy another one most likely
http://www.BGBEATS.COM
"Make That Sound In Your Head,a Recorded Reality"

Geissler

Post by Geissler » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:51 am

if you can get your hands on one, the Doepfer PK88 is cheaper and looks orders of magnitude more solidly constructed than the MPK.