Recommend a SUB-WOOFER for EVENT TR8 Monitors!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cenik11

Recommend a SUB-WOOFER for EVENT TR8 Monitors!

Post by cenik11 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi everybody!

For the last couple of years I've been mixing my productions on my EVENT TR8 monitors and then using the sub in my car as a second test re: the low-end of the tracks. Unfortunately, the front speakers in my car seem to have blown and, so, when I turn up the car's stereo volume the speakers produce an awful sounding noise that interferes with my ability to judge the low-end. Plus, I've always thought it'd be in my best interest to purchase and mix with a sub-woofer. I would sincerely appreciate it if you guys would recommend a few choices re: subs that would be a good fit for the TR8s. The monitors themselves definitely have some low-end to them but it'd be nice not to have to run out my car each time I render a track (something which I can no longer do anyways).

I don't want to spend more than $300-400 after tax.

My 'studio' is a standard bedroom size - like 8x10 or something?

Audio interface is Echo AudioFire4.

It seems like the Yamaha HS10W is a popular choice.
Last edited by cenik11 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cenik11

Re: Recommend a SUB-WOOFER for EVENT TR8 Monitors!

Post by cenik11 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Any thoughts on the Behringer B2092A?

Edit: Hmmm, some say this isn't appropriate for studio use...

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:41 pm

have you tried just walking around the room? in general unless your room is treated (especially one that small) the bass is going to be unreliable. maybe some bass traps instead. but when i used to have my 20/20bas (almost the same thing as the tr8) the bass was much louder if I just walked back against the wall opposite the speakers, bass would build up there. i never even thought about a subwoofer with those :)

cenik11

Post by cenik11 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:29 pm

theophilus wrote:have you tried just walking around the room? in general unless your room is treated (especially one that small) the bass is going to be unreliable. maybe some bass traps instead. but when i used to have my 20/20bas (almost the same thing as the tr8) the bass was much louder if I just walked back against the wall opposite the speakers, bass would build up there. i never even thought about a subwoofer with those :)
Yep, a woofer would be nice but I think I'll hold off for now. And, yes, the bass does indeed change by simply walking away from the monitors - I've noticed that :)