any DX7 / TX7 users out there? (hardware!)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crumhorn

Re: any DX7 / TX7 users out there? (hardware!)

Post by crumhorn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:15 pm

one great feature of the DX7 is the array of 32 patch buttons. This has to be the quickest live patch change on any synth. With practice you can hit the patch change and get back to the keyboard in less than half a second.

I think most of the weight comes from mainly solid steel construction and if I recall correctly there is quite a chunky mains transformer inside.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:37 pm

crumhorn wrote:one great feature of the DX7 is the array of 32 patch buttons. This has to be the quickest live patch change on any synth. With practice you can hit the patch change and get back to the keyboard in less than half a second.

I think most of the weight comes from mainly solid steel construction and if I recall correctly there is quite a chunky mains transformer inside.
the quick patchchange is common to all synths of this area.. the 25 years without any service not ...

its realy the only synth on the planet where i dont know how it looks inside..ok..of cause i havent seen any synth inside..but the ones i havent serviced myself i ve seen in huge amounts in the shelfs of collegs. Its really durable

dont even has a illuminated display that wears out
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

bensuthers-2

Post by bensuthers-2 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:00 am

I have a TX802 - which is 8 x DX7II in a 3 unit rack. it's awesome. But then so is FM8.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:47 pm

Reviving this old thread to let people know about a most ultimate and free cross platform (windows/mac/linux) VST DX7 Emulator and also doubles as a real time editor for your DX7 with library/patch loading and saving.

First, I must say the Emulation is quite possibly the closest I've heard to a real DX7. On some patches I can't tell the difference between the plugin and my DX7. The only main difference of sound on some patches is the noise from the DX7.

Second, the editor is hands down the best editor I've come across with a pretty nice GUI and it's free! Works great as you can load it into your project as a vst and have recall-ability of your patch/s and edit in real time. No need to dump the settings to the DX7 on the vst after you tweaked, it just happens right then.

Hope this helps some people out. Scroll down a bit on the page and download the binary file.

https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed

cml

Post by cml » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:31 pm

i recently got a tx7.... is a great synth !!!

many people think its a crappy synth because there are many crappy patches for it...like bells and trumpets....there are just too many banks online...sometimes only 1 preset of one bank is worth to save..

i used DEXED to make my custom bank of good presets , and i can tell you there are very good sounds.... and is easy to manage and copy presets.

DexeD is good , but unfortunatelly can't control parameters , although you can use it a softh synth... and it works... i use to preview the sounds before transfer to the tx7....

I wish it was easier to control TX7/DX7 parameters from ableton....this is not very good...i still haven't found an easy way to do this....its not that dificult.....

this are all the parameters ::
http://www.tonmeister.ca/personal/geoff ... sysex.html

example: F0 43 10 00 69 XX F7

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Recently picked up a DX7-s because I was shopping for an electric piano that could double as a MIDI controller. Well worth what I paid for it just for the piano sounds, and the keyboard feels great and includes aftertouch. I'm already using it on the track I'm working on now to fill out the harmony.

Was pleasantly surprised by the string sounds too, especially the cello. Nice to know that you can use DEXED to build patches and then import them over to the DX7.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

cml

Post by cml » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:17 pm

yes , i found DEXED is the only easy way tu build you custom banks...

i also tried midiquest... you can modify all parameters in realtime, is good... but for some reason is not fun...
you can learn a lot of how the DX7 works with midiquest....but until now , i dont know if is possible to manage and make custom banks...