ableton's simple delay vs delay pedals

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kanuck

ableton's simple delay vs delay pedals

Post by kanuck » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:08 am

so i'm considering using ableton's delay for my guitar. Are there any disadvantages/advantages that ableton has over a normal guitar delay pedal? I'm using a boss dd-20.

cacti

Re: ableton's simple delay vs delay pedals

Post by cacti » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:53 am

you can change the delay after you record. Thats probably the biggest advantage.

Lives delay lets you have different rates for the L and R channels.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:18 am

cacti wrote:you can change the delay after you record. Thats probably the biggest advantage.

Lives delay lets you have different rates for the L and R channels.
oh whoops i should've mentioned this is for live playing.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:41 am

As long as there aren't any problems with latency, it should work.

The main difference I can think of is that with a stompbox it's pretty easy to turn the effect on and off - with Live you''ll need to either stop playing for a moment to turn the device off or get a midi footcontrol to do it for you, or automate it. Slightly more fiddly then just stepping on the stompbox switch.

But if you've already got the necessary controllers or you won't need to turn it on and off much, live should give you a lot more flexibility, and plus if you're in time with a click when you play you can make your delay in time too.
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

Geissler

Post by Geissler » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:48 am

The only problem with the live delay is that it's very clinical and clean-cut. An analog delay pedal like the EHX memory man / memory boy or the memory lane will sound a lot better... and that sound has been nicely emulated in software by the soundtoys echoboy. Really lovely lush delay, far nicer-sounding than the live effect even though it's a bit heavier on the CPU. If you need a foot controller behringer has a great one, even though it's pretty huge and heavy...

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:56 pm

The sound quality of an analogue delay or a tape delay just cant be matched in my book. However with Live's delay you can customize it sonically, and have it sync effortlessly. Yet Live's delay is very digital,for example changing the delay rate while producing sound, sounds like digital delays do most of the time.

HOWEVER, there are some free tape delay emulators you can use in Live that sound really nice. Tal DUB II, is pretty sweet. And it can be synced just the same. The analogue emulation is really nice though.

FuzzyKeys

Post by FuzzyKeys » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Putting a little bit of saturation after a cold sounding digital delay can sound nice. It's also fun to experiment with post-delay effects in general with Live.

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:18 am

Have a look at NastyDLA too.

I would always go for s/w delay cos you can change it after, depends how hung up you are on the old sounds

T
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud