The best DJ software, in your opinion?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Khazul

Re: The best DJ software, in your opinion?

Post by Khazul » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Tracktor scratch + audio 8dj here with an X1 controller for native traktor functions that cant be easily controlled directly from timecode decks. Looked at serato a few times - its never really grabbed me. Allways much preffered tbhe flexibility of traktor in terms of control and features - you can go anywhere from old school minimal modernisation with manual everything from a pair of decks to total noob mouse based point and click auto everything according to what you need at the time - amd a good assortment fo control options accross that spectrum of uses. None of this oh shit I wish I didnt have to lug the decks as well when I just want to thrown on some tunes...

As for the easy software link up between traktor and live - that video only applies to a mac. Its currently not a feature of the windows version, however I have tried loop2be for the same job and it works fine even on Win7/64. If you have an Audio 8 DJ then you can send Sound from Live and traktor at the same time - dont know whether other audio interfaces are multi-client. This actually wiork really well if you have mixer inputs specifically for Live (so live sends its master to ch 5+6 with cue to 7+8) while tracks sends to 1+2, 3+4. The only slighly downer for me the DJM-800 cant input 4 pairs of line ins *as well as* 2 CD decks and two record decks, so I loose the cue outputs from live.

While that video shows syncing live to whatever the track playing at the time is, I actually find far better and more predictable results with tracktor set to internal maser clock and have the decks on tracks synced to that. This means its easy to mix to from/live when nothing is playing in tractor and do perfect drop ins from traktor, otherwise you keep stuff playing in traktor to maintain the clock else it stops and live goes mad - probbaly reverting to whatever tempo was last manually set in live.

Anyway - the end result work very well - and really good for running DMX lighting out of live as well (via M4L) and keeping it all in sync.
TBH while I prefer PCs for studio machine, I would prefer a mac for live anyway - just easier to find one that isnt a nightmare.
Last edited by Khazul on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here - move along!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:36 pm

If you need more than that you're thinking too much.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:49 pm

S4 is sooo sexy.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:06 pm

And this looks fantastic for the S4

To this point I've been tooling around with a regular laptop stand but that makes the S4 off balance unless you place something under it to level it, which is somewhat ghetto. I was even toying with the idea of getting a piece of plywood and then routing out a section where the laptop stand legs are so the S4 sits flat on the wood, but this case looks like the best option.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:11 pm

It's exactly the same model i bought for my korg zero 8, it's just a bit deeper.

the laptop stand sliding is very cool, however they are quite heavy. but mine seen much bigger
than this one, so it should be nice.

edit: on mine i can have pb to reach the knobs on back, feel it will be the same
with S4. but globally it's ok

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:26 pm

fx23 wrote:edit: on mine i can have pb to reach the knobs on back, feel it will be the same
with S4. but globally it's ok
So the front of the laptop shelf sort of blocks the back knobs?

The only other issue I might have with this case is home use because the area I have it in looks like it wouldn't have enough depth to fit it front to back. With the laptop stand I have now it's more of an up and over the controller situation.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:34 pm

yes the laptop shelf can block rear knobs access. I mean you can access them, but the stand has to be very
pushed in back, resulting in less stability.

then you can reach them with your fingers, but if you move fast, top of your hands have tendency to hurt the shelf.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:43 pm

fx23 wrote:yes the laptop shelf can block rear knobs access. I mean you can access them, but the stand has to be very
pushed in back, resulting in less stability.

then you can reach them with your fingers, but if you move fast, top of your hands have tendency to hurt the shelf.
Hm, maybe I can find one set up at a store to check it out. Since that is where the effects section is on the S4 it's not really a section you want restricted access to, and more importantly you don't want it flying off the back of the table because it's back end heavy, and the S4 isn't all that heavy. I suppose come kind of c-clamp holding the front end of the case to the table would solve that problem, but again, ghetto.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:57 pm

yes i advice you to check. On zero8 back knobs are used to swich from midi to audio, so it's ok for me, as i don't
change that during performance, and zero is indeed much heavier so i can push the laptop stand
way back. but if they were often use fx, i think i could get mad and have blues prints all over my hands ;)
maybe they fixed that on that one, but it doesn't seem so...

yes A C-clamp on front can help for your home setup, then on stage can put someting at the rear bellow the stand to support it.
but yeah try to find a demo setup would make you sure.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:40 pm

I have read a few complaints about the s4 case being too big.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Tarekith wrote:I have read a few complaints about the s4 case being too big.

For? The S4 isn't exactly small to begin with.

And are these a bunch of whiny babies who only had to worry about carrying crates of records or CDs to a gig before? They should tell their sob story to a drummer. :)

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:07 pm

beats me wrote:Image
If you need more than that you're thinking too much.
*Need?* no - end up with due to migrating from one thing to the next over the years... ugh!

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:09 pm

beats me wrote:

And are these a bunch of whiny babies who only had to worry about carrying crates of records or CDs to a gig before? They should tell their sob story to a drummer. :)
Could be worse - rolling a heavy old honky tonk out of a van, up some way long concrete ramp and over a heap of junk to get the damn to a stage from what had to be about the worse parking sport relatuve to the damn stage - thats was a very long time agao and I swore never again!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:11 pm

beats me wrote:

In a lot of dj booths, there's not enough room front to back to open it all the way, and then it blocks the effects knobs.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Tarekith wrote:
beats me wrote:

In a lot of dj booths, there's not enough room front to back to open it all the way, and then it blocks the effects knobs.
Or worse you probably cant open the damn ting a all due to CD deck and laptop shelves in the way.