Good midi editor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Good midi editor

Post by rikhyray » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:54 pm

I use Cubase for midi editing but would prefere something simple ( till Live gets better at it) to use it same way like using Wavelab for audio. Cubase is overkill for some simple tasks and rewire complicate it all.

Moonburnt

Post by Moonburnt » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:19 pm

Ditto. I don't know what the answer is for midi, I am still looking for something that isn't Live and isn't Cubase, but when it comes down to it, I never feel very motivated to learn a whole new program from scratch anymore, unless it is immediately obvious how good it is. Have you tried out the free complete version of Tracktion that Mackie are offering? That looked promising and very streamlined, but I'm still holding out hope for being able to do it all in Live (or FLStudio) one day.

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:12 pm

i have read about quite a few people that use cubase SX for recording but still use an older version of cubasis for midi editing.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:14 pm

Cubase is really good, up from SX 2 ( I never liked any of the previous versions) but I just want to edit midi only. SX`s complexity is not advantage in this case, I want something I could copy paste etc and then rewire messes it up if I want to have both open or is there a way to off the rewire and Live and Cubase can run parallel ?

redrabbit
Location: inside your computer, snappin wires like Chuck Norris snaps bones.

Post by redrabbit » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:47 am

I don't think you're going to get 'a simple midi editor' that does complex things. That's like saying, "I'd like to become a Brain Surgeon, without taking all those damn college courses."

Well, ok that's exagerating a bit, but you get what I'm saying?
I think it's best to know how to use midi well enough, that you then know what it is you need and don't need.

I'm still learning.

=RR=
Asus P4C800e-deluxe "imagine sexy model pic here" P4 3.0c desktop / 2gig / 3 Hdrives / Matrox 650p / RME hdsp9632 / Tango24 / XPhome Sp1 / CubaseSX3.1 / Wavelab4 / LIVE 5.03 / etc.....

aka Freq Band

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:51 am

Does this EnergyXT thing everyone raves about let u do decent midi editing? id so, you can integrate it with live and i suppose that would be a neat way of doing it...