Maschine driver CPU usage

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
icedsushi

Maschine driver CPU usage

Post by icedsushi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:59 am

For me, Activity Monitor shows 3.5% CPU for NIHardwareAgent which seems significant. This is just from having Maschine plugged in, even when not in use. Check it out for yourself. If you unplug the USB cable from Maschine, the CPU usage goes back down to zero.

But in Live, the CPU meter is unaffected whether Maschine is plugged in or not. So what do you think, is it using the CPU while inactive or not?

Ste_clectic

Re: Maschine driver CPU usage

Post by Ste_clectic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:28 am

Maschine eats my CPU. If have more than 3 groups loaded in maschine vst (or standalone) my CPU hits 70. I can have a whole bunch of waves plugins open and have no CPU issues. What is going on?

Dexes

Re: Maschine driver CPU usage

Post by Dexes » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:56 am

icedsushi wrote:But in Live, the CPU meter is unaffected whether Maschine is plugged in or not. So what do you think, is it using the CPU while inactive or not?
If you read the Live manual you'll find that Live's CPU meter displays the CPU usage of live's sound engine so as long as the machine software isn't loaded and sending audio into live for processing Live's meter will display 0%

This is why so many people complain about pops & crackles at a low CPU usage. If you have live using 60% and another 20 programs using 45% in the background you're at 105%of the CPU even though Live's meter will only display 60%.