'Live' Live(an easily searchable tag)'Live' Live: A Focal Point for Sharing Experiences (methods, strategies, backing tracks) Using Ableton Live in Live Performance, especially the One Man Band act(until we have a forum or site to gather at)
[Concise Statement of Purpose Here
This thread will hopefully lead to lots of sharing info and experiences becoming a sticky topic, forum (preferred), group, independent website or perpetual something.
I'm returning to performing for money (30 yrs.) as a one man band using some of my gear:
- Ableton Live 8.2.1
- Native Instruments Complete 5 & 6
- Toshiba Satellite A500-6063 i7-920 8 Processor Laptop & Blackberry 9000 tethered modem
- M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB audio interface, NI Guitar Rig 4 Kontrol Edition
- Logitech trackball (no pad or moving around!) & Saitek lighted keyboard
- Guitars: (incl. Epi '56 Les Paul Gold Top w/P-90's, Squire Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline in Shoreline Gold w/ Duncan P.U., Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster Three-tone Sunburst w/ Vintage Noiseless P.U. & Rosewood Fretboard), 5-String Bass, Mandolin
- Amps: Fender Supersonic 112 - Blond & Oxblood, Fender Limited Edition Blues Junior - Tweed, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Epi Valve Junior & 112 Cab
- P.A.: Behringer 1202FX mixer, Roland Street Cube Stereo Battery Operated 'P.A.'/Amp Sim and Behringer 802 battery pwd mixer for street gigs (I'll buy some powered monitors if I find it valuable for non, or poor quality, P.A. gigs v.s. room in the Van or a Motorhome)
- Studio Speakers: Mackie MR-8's, Samson R5a and R8a w/ ribbon tweeters, KRK Rockit 6's
- Roland Ax-Synth and other Keyboards
- Akai EWI-USB Wind Controller
- Alesis Control Pad for my drum performances and for audience participation or a Yamaha DTXplorer electronic drum set
- Shure SM-58, SM-57 mics and Green Bullet mic & harmonicas
- DMX Lighting and AMDJ DMX App & Interface (possibly on a separate, lessor laptop) w/ a Novation Zero-SL controller for fader control, plus...
I'm just starting to create/collect&improve 'backing tracks' and figuring out ways to manage songs and sets while capitalizing on Live's unique performance features and paradigm. I intend to be able to scale from a simple, maybe 2 instrument show to a full blown show w/ lighting so I can get gigs at small places that don't have bands usually, and also be ready for larger, more professional gigs that my reputation for a great show garners me. There will also be lots of opportunities to invite friends to sit in.
I'm doing this because I love the passionate performance experience (cosmic consciousness) and people turn real happy when I'm doing it; and I believe you should do what you love, then the Universe supports you and your efforts and you will be happy - fulfilled.
I'm a Chicago Bluesman with a love of Pop craft, sweetness, energy who used to spin dance vinyl. I'm planning to include the gamut from simple D.J. craft playing entertaining but unmodified commercial records (whole song samples in Live) to my edits and mash-ups, to complete recreations and original songs where I can jump from instrument to instrument as I please and control the song flow with Live, to complete live experimentation and jamming in Session View.
My strengths are my passionate performances - especially vocals, engaging warmth + presence, commanding M.C. skills, adventurous willingness, sense of rhythm, groove, and selecting exciting, danceable, or charmingly witty songs and my multi-instrumental abilities. I believe we all enjoy seeing a job done well and feeling a part of it.
I think that the Multi-instrumental, swap instruments/parts, having FUN, site-to-behold, sound-to-groove-to Performance aspects made possible by the unique design philosophy that is Ableton Live will be extremely entertaining and joy producing and I want to see if I can make this vision happen.
Let me hear what you're doing with 'Live' Live!
I'm going ask for a forum from our host, if we get enough interest. Ableton used to suggest in the Manual (v7) several ways to use Live including Studio Recording, DJ'ing, and with a Band (the last 2 being live performance but essentially different). I propose that there should be a forum for each of these, for any category I've left out (is 'Film' separate from studio?), plus "Other Uses" or "Unusual Uses" (Orchestrating a light show via MIDI and DMX, 'Very' high speed internet 'real time' jamming/collaboration, ?...).
Recording Little Feat's "Old Folk's Boogie" for performance and w/ video for a Family Christmas Card E-Mail. Trying an idea or two by starting w/ the original track (from the CD "Waiting for Columbus", the 2002 Rhino/WB reissue) and replacing all the parts one at a time. I can think of several ways to attempt this and chose to try to construct a tempo map from Warp Markers first and if that doesn't produce adequate results, I'll try to Slice the song sample (MP3 source file) and extract a tempo map from the MIDI events created. Anyone with experience doing this please tell. If I can't get a tempo map I'll just record each verse slice and ignore any metrical ties. This is core of the process I was planning to use to develop my catalog of Performances/Songs.