Using a Motu Ultralight MK3 Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ttaralli

Using a Motu Ultralight MK3 Live

Post by ttaralli » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm going to be playing some live shows and my soundcard is the MOTU Ultralight MK3. It has balanced output but will I still need to use direct boxes or should I just buy some Balanced 1/4" to XLR cables? Please help, I've never played live with a computer before.

Thanks!

stonee

Re: Using a Motu Ultralight MK3 Live

Post by stonee » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:53 pm

ultralights are designed for playing live. just make sure all your cable connections are tight. i've had problems with my fw 800 cable comming out of my macbook, and loosing power mid set. but thats completly my own stupidity.

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:50 pm

ttaralli wrote:I'm going to be playing some live shows and my soundcard is the MOTU Ultralight MK3. It has balanced output but will I still need to use direct boxes or should I just buy some Balanced 1/4" to XLR cables? Please help, I've never played live with a computer before.

Thanks!

what are you connecting to? if its a FOH mixer, it will have 1/4 inputs, if you going right into the pa rack with no mixer and all it has is xlr, you are all good. I have the same card ;)

ttaralli

Post by ttaralli » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks for the responses!

@jonesonyou - It will be different venues but I'm guessing in most cases I'll be going into a snake they have on stage which coul have both types of inputs. I should probably have both just to be safe.