if live 9 is not 64-bit...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EpikureeR

Re: if live 9 is not 64-bit...

Post by EpikureeR » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:06 pm

"automation to session view "
could some1 please explain this request to me?

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:45 pm

EpikureeR wrote:"automation to session view "
Currently, automation of Live devices and VSTs/AUs in session view clips only works with relative values, 0-100%.

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:55 pm

I will upgrade anyway. I always do. I like the product and I'm pretty sure the abes will create something nice we don't even think of now...
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

fx23

Post by fx23 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:06 pm

MPKG is right but to be more precise,
this means:
Actually we can't rec the automations when we tweak a midi controller knobs to individual clips in session.
clips will rec the notes you play from your keyboard but not the faders/knobs/xy/pads/whatever moves.
that only works if rec in the arrangement view linear way, not linked to clips.
and the pain is you cannot moves back those clips from arrange to session if reced in arrange.
so by this it means we ask a way to record the automation straight to each session view individual clips.

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:40 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Lazos wrote: I would hope that the Live user base (and thus how and where Live gets utilized) is a lot more broad than you make it out to be.
I think you're reading too much in to what I'm saying. So you want to instal your own surround live performance systems and think Live should accommodate that, fine... but your original post was stating that it was somehow lame of Ableton not to be already capable, complete with rolling eyes smileys and the insinuation that live performance venues had surround in place. :)
Nah, just trying to be snarky. Damn internet doohickies are terrible for human communication. I don't think it's that lame of Ableton to not be already capable with surround, just wish it was easier. For the most part, Live has been stable for me, and I use it every day, so I look forward to Live 9's release when it's good and ready.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:54 am

fx23 wrote:
MPKG is right but to be more precise,
this means:
Actually we can't rec the automations when we tweak a midi controller knobs to individual clips in session.
clips will rec the notes you play from your keyboard but not the faders/knobs/xy/pads/whatever moves.
that only works if rec in the arrangement view linear way, not linked to clips.
and the pain is you cannot moves back those clips from arrange to session if reced in arrange.
so by this it means we ask a way to record the automation straight to each session view individual clips.
Or just a clip option to bypass automation modifiers, so that session modified can be set by the user to be none, additive or mutiplicative.
Nothing to see here - move along!

fx23

Post by fx23 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Yes but in any cases it need a system to rec midi cc to clip.
Personnaly im more after a full dual layer system compatible
With arrange, that sound logical and we will be able then to freely move clips from seesion to arrange and vice verse.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:59 pm

smaucher wrote:I will upgrade anyway. I always do. I like the product and I'm pretty sure the abes will create something nice we don't even think of now...

automation to session view ? or lfo´s ??

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:13 pm

I may be wrong here, but can't you record automation in session view if you use a VST that has MIDI learn on it that you can map to a controller?

fx23

Post by fx23 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:22 pm

yes but it needs a special boring setup with a duplicated miditrack.
plus not all vst have midilearn and you end up manually affect and dealling with cc numbers, not the parameter name.

Not a single live device will work with this technique. what if you want to automate an arpegiator gate,
an operator cutoff, a simple send level? or just a volume automation? a reverb decay?
a drum slot release? all the fairly basic stuff you need for music composing in live...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:12 pm

Lazos wrote: Nah, just trying to be snarky. Damn internet doohickies are terrible for human communication.
werd!

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:49 pm

MPGK wrote:
Bizon wrote:We are only 1 month from finding out...
Well, we can't be sure Live 9 will be presented at the NAMM, can we?

Session view automation would be great, but so would be project playlists or general performance improvement. 64-bit would be nice, but not necessary for me to upgrade.
Maybe, but it's a pretty big coincidence that their 25% off deal ends January 15th, the day before NAMM.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:53 pm

fx23 wrote:yes but it needs a special boring setup with a duplicated miditrack.
plus not all vst have midilearn and you end up manually affect and dealling with cc numbers, not the parameter name.

Not a single live device will work with this technique. what if you want to automate an arpegiator gate,
an operator cutoff, a simple send level? or just a volume automation? a reverb decay?
a drum slot release? all the fairly basic stuff you need for music composing in live...
The funny thing about that truth is you'd think it would be the other way around, able to record automation with Live's devices but not third party plugs. I don't know what kind of programming wizardry Ableton put in giving third parties the advantage over their own built in plugs.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:06 am

beats me wrote: The funny thing about that truth is you'd think it would be the other way around, able to record automation with Live's devices but not third party plugs. I don't know what kind of programming wizardry Ableton put in giving third parties the advantage over their own built in plugs.
Just to clear this up. Because Abletons plug ins only record track automation to the sequencer, whereas some third party plug ins are able to use MIDI automation to record to the sequencer. All my MIDI capable hardware synths can record to clips as MIDI as well.

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Geissler wrote:Ableton's RAM limit right now is, what, 2.5GB? Go over that and it crashes. Not acceptable - it's time to move on to 64bit.
Agree 100% - Ableton has more memory issues then ive ever seen in one program. Get to the max ram limit of the app, and it crashes without fail, everytime...

It's time to make the move to x64 and access that 192gb of ram... 2.5-3gb is just silly in this day and age when you have synths like Omnispehere, Kontakt, and Drum modules like BFD, Ocean Way.. etc... taking up gigantic ammounts of RAM per instance.

I wont be upgrading until they go x64