Upgrading to Suite

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
grooverb

Re: Upgrading to Suite

Post by grooverb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:12 pm

OK. so I got Suite, but still waiting for Melanie Sykes to turn up. Just as well cos I've had a little play with Operator and I'm well impressed :)

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:32 pm

grooverb wrote:I'm thinking about upgrading to suite, but I'm wondering if I'd be better with NI Komplete.
Yes - MUCH!
grooverb wrote:OK. so I got Suite, but still waiting for Melanie Sykes to turn up. Just as well cos I've had a little play with Operator and I'm well impressed :)
OMG - He erm .... Jumped 8O
Nothing to see here - move along!

grooverb

Post by grooverb » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:52 pm

Khazul wrote: OMG - He erm .... Jumped 8O
Its ok. I'm still alive!

I'm quite liking it to be honest. Did a CM Collision tutorial the other day. I'm impressed. I like operator to, just working my way through the other bits.

Myy research did conclude there are one group of people who say Ableton is better, and another that say Komplete is better. Maybe one day someone will buy komplete for me :D

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:22 pm

If you do most of your own programming and aren't looking for a large library of sampled sounds then the suite instruments are great. If you treat Live itself as the instrument and the instruments and effect devices as modules the range of sounds you can create is enormous.

But the EIC is a bit of a let down. The sounds that are covered are excellent but there is a lot missing. Basic things like double basses, most orchestral instruments/articulations, ethnic instruments, etc just don't seem to be there.

A friend of mine has Komplete and seems to cover a much broader range, much more likely to have something close to the sound you want.

Sometimes I'm a programming geek and Live seems like the perfect playground. But other times I just want to call up a sound an jam with my cronies, thats when I wish I had something like Komplete
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:18 pm

Drum Racks and Operator is the only good part of Suite. The rest is garbage in my opinion.

grooverb

Post by grooverb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:33 pm

crumhorn wrote:If you do most of your own programming and aren't looking for a large library of sampled sounds then the suite instruments are great.
That is kind of what swung it. learning how to program stuff I hope will give my music a more personal flavour and eventually be more beneficial for me in the long run