Liine iPad Ableton controllers: Griid In-App purchases

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hedroom

Liine iPad Ableton controllers: Griid In-App purchases

Post by Hedroom » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Hey everyone

Very excited to announce the new Griid bomb!!!

You people have been asking for it (see, we are listening :wink: ). Now you can edit MIDI clips with your fingers, from the iPad - making the piano roll an instrument too! We`ve all wanted to see this in Griid for a long time - and now it`s here!

Check the vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjvaKLFP ... r_embedded

Cliip is free for Griid Pro owners - which we currently also have on a festive time-limited holiday sale (16.99 USD / 13.99 EUR)! :)

Griid and Griid Pro are now also dual platform (no more iPhone version and iPad version).

More info about all this on our site: http://liine.net

Hope you all enjoy. Can´t wait to hear your feedback. What else do you want to see in Griid?

Gareth
Last edited by Hedroom on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

globalgoon

Re: Griid/Cliip- iPad controller lets you get INSIDE clips

Post by globalgoon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:15 pm

V.v.cool!

how about a crossfader & user definable buttons/sliders at the bottom of the griid view

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:23 pm

wooaaa sexxxy, well done (i suppose master st8 is for something 8) )
nice

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:26 pm

globalgoon wrote:V.v.cool!

how about a crossfader & user definable buttons/sliders at the bottom of the griid view
hey global goon!

crossfader: can't say exactly when, but it's a great suggestion and definitely on my mind.
user definable buttons/slides at the bottom: what kind of things would you want those to do?

thanks!
nick

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:29 pm

fx23 wrote:wooaaa sexxxy, well done (i suppose master st8 is for something 8) )
nice
thank you :D

We here at Liine are indeed very proud of this first collaboration with ST8 (and there's a lot more to come where this came from!!)

Let us know what u want to see in Griid

Nick

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:46 pm

yes it's a geat collaboration because your team has definitely a high sense of searching simple and ergonomic, and st8 has all the api knowledge. lucky you ;)

if that was for me i would request some matrix of switchs that can act as faders too, bellow the grid.
i call that combo encoder-switch. if you press shortly you enable-disable, if keep on pressing an moving Y inc/decrement the value
in a relative mode. Idid that on mine and find it's quite cool. It take no place on screen while having 2 functions quite modular.
then the user can quick assign some parameters, either by list or by osc learn directly moving the item from live,
and let's add on top of that a little preset bank.

so man can ie quick recall track filters, or global master fx ect. if you are in momentary you can engage an fx and set it's value
via Y,and if relase the param goes to 0, or if toggle can let the swich on with the value and readjust it.

don(t know if im clear, you can see this beaviour in my vid in sig if want, in the mixer, squares combines mutes and volumes in
a single object.

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:48 pm

fx23 wrote:yes it's a geat collaboration because your team has definitely a high sense of searching simple and ergonomic, and st8 has all the api knowledge. lucky you ;)

if that was for me i would request some matrix of switchs that can act as faders too, bellow the grid.
i call that combo encoder-switch. if you press shortly you enable-disable, if keep on pressing an moving Y inc/decrement the value
in a relative mode. Idid that on mine and find it's quite cool. It take no place on screen while having 2 functions quite modular.
then the user can quick assign some parameters, either by list or by osc learn directly moving the item from live,
and let's add on top of that a little preset bank.

so man can ie quick recall track filters, or global master fx ect. if you are in momentary you can engage an fx and set it's value
via Y,and if relase the param goes to 0, or if toggle can let the swich on with the value and readjust it.

don(t know if im clear, you can see this beaviour in my vid in sig if want, in the mixer, squares combines mutes and volumes in
a single object.
that sounds like a really cool idea. but if the button is on the very bottom of the screen, and it works with Y axis, how can you drag down and lower the value? you'll end up off the screen. not sure I totally understand your idea. :)

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:55 pm

yes it can't be fully at bottom indeed, maybe then i would make the bottom row the presets quick access, and a row just above
for the encoders-switchs.. just an idea..

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:59 pm

fx23 wrote:yes it can't be fully at bottom indeed, maybe then i would make the bottom row the presets quick access, and a row just above
for the encoders-switchs.. just an idea..
Ahh ok!! Yeah, that makes sense. Using multiple functions are a great idea for simple and ergonomic layouts. What's the link for your vid? Would love to see how you do it :)

thanks for the feedback!

nick

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:00 pm

congrats... lovely. i love the minimalistic and clean approach.

as for the crossfader, i dunno - is anyone using that thing?

im seeing griid as a performance tool..
anyway, as for access to the faders it'd be kinda nice to have some sort of split-screen view.
e.g. the mixing-desk fading in/out on the bottom upon request, with a view similar to the
velocity-view of the pianoroll.

also just an idea: what about changing the columns of individual tracks to some sort of
encoder/knob-view in the grid-display ?

heh, thinking about it, it doesnt seem that easy to merge all these features
in an intuitiv and clutter-free user interface :)

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:02 pm

mattadms wrote:congrats... lovely. i love the minimalistic and clean approach.
Thanks you sir :)
as for the crossfader, i dunno - is anyone using that thing?
i think it's one of those things that are really deeply tied into personal approaches... some people love, some ppl don't even know Ableton HAS a crossfader ;)
also just an idea: what about changing the columns of individual tracks to some sort of
encoder/knob-view in the grid-display ?
this sounds really interesting, but what do you mean?? what would an encode/knob do in each grid cell?
Last edited by Bugayev on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Looks amazing, great work. I'm waiting till the 2nd or 3rd version of the iPad but if you already have one, this looks like an absolute joy to work with. Super cool.

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:08 pm

NICKBUGAYEV wrote: this sounds really interesting, but what do you mean?? what would an encode/knob do in each grid cell?
In that case I really like the APC-Approach.
Their Ableton-Script »mounts« the first 8 knobs of a device
to the actual hardware surface and you can switch through the devices
my pressing the arrow keys.
The surface seems locked to the last selected device per channel, so thats good
(on the APC, since it only has one Device-Control-Section by its physical limtations,
in Griid however this could be done differently).

Performance wise this seems like a good solution to me, since you can setup these knobs
on Control-Macros in Live which also seems the best solution for drawing actually value-limitations
to each knob (since things can get messsy in a live-performance and one would not want to
do such profound things as accidently pushing the high-frequencys to +20db.. just a trivial example anyway).

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:13 pm

mattadms wrote:
NICKBUGAYEV wrote: this sounds really interesting, but what do you mean?? what would an encode/knob do in each grid cell?
In that case I really like the APC-Approach.
Their Ableton-Script »mounts« the first 8 knobs of a device
to the actual hardware surface and you can switch through the devices
my pressing the arrow keys.
The surface seems locked to the last selected device per channel, so thats good
(on the APC, since it only has one Device-Control-Section by its physical limtations,
in Griid however this could be done differently).

Performance wise this seems like a good solution to me, since you can setup these knobs
on Control-Macros in Live which also seems the best solution for drawing actually value-limitations
to each knob (since things can get messsy in a live-performance and one would not want to
do such profound things as accidently pushing the high-frequencys to +20db.. just a trivial example anyway).
You're talking about mapping encoders to the knobs on Rack Macros?

"locking controls" and being able to still navigate around is definitely part of the Griid philosophy. From the start it's been really important for us to provide FAST navigation to anywhere you want in the Live set

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:17 pm

@nick

here are some vidz of my tests, i improved it since but not made new vidz yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgf7nXyLGJ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM7IGu9P9Eg

you can see it on the mixer @ 2:08 in first vid, or @4:07 they are swichs but also faders, and if pressing preset they toggle to display a bank choice, then picking a preset request live values so all squares reupdate, then a new Y action will inc/dec the values
if keeping pressed and moving (even out of the tiny boundaries, so screen space gain) , or toggle if short.