Liine iPad Ableton controllers: Griid In-App purchases

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
topaz

Re: Liine's iPad/iPhone Ableton controllers-new app: Kapture Pad

Post by topaz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:57 pm

I am seeing a major workflow problem here, there really needs to be an option to allow pressing the snapshot buttons to trigger scenes.
Complete Cycle, Contemporary Music for Film, TV, Media & Games.
http://www.completecycle.bandcamp.com

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:30 pm

topaz wrote:I am seeing a major workflow problem here, there really needs to be an option to allow pressing the snapshot buttons to trigger scenes.
Hi topaz,

Thank you for the feedback! It's always interesting to learn more about individual workflows - everybody has different approaches.

The way Kapture Pad works is:
- A clip is named with the name of a Global Snapshot.
- Launch a scene which has this clip (or just launch the clip) and that Global Snapshot is loaded.

The reason you cannot launch a scene from a Global Snapshot on the iPhone/iPad is because this would cause infinite loops! Load the snapshot, launch the scene which triggers the clip, which loads the snapshots, which launches the scene, etc... :-)

Nick

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:31 pm

db120 wrote:
]Hi db120. Drop us an email at support@liine.net and we'll get you sorted right out!
Word. Dropped a line same time I posted here. Thanks
Just replied to your email, asking for lots of details. We'll get you sorted asap. :-)

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:35 pm

topaz wrote:one major thing, how to overwrite a snapshot,

ie how to go back and tweak a snapshot without having to recapture again ?
Hi topaz,

Thanks for the feedback! Great to hear so many good ideas. Our number one goal with this version was to make it instant and simple. No slot to select or anything, it automatically gets a default name. The most straightforward concept is this: Tap KAPTURE and grab the whole Live set.

In the Banks View, we have the more traditional mechanism you talk about.. either Save (i.e. overwrite) or Save As (save to a new slot).

It's a great suggestion though and it's in the wishlist. :-)

Nick

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:39 pm

digid wrote:Finally got the connector down, but, da*n, this thing is hard to connect to my MacBook Air.

Using it at work, so probably not ideal, will test more at home. But there was no way I could connect to anything, not an the ad hoc network works.

Strange. I have no firewall either.
Few quick things to try:
- Disable Bluetooth on your iPad
- Kill the Kapture Pad app from multitasking (Double tap the home button, press the Kapture Pad icon until it starts shaking, tap the red circle)
- After your iPad is connected to the MacBook Air (you can check by seeing if the is an airport symbol in the top-left corner of the iPad)
- Start Kapture Pad and tap Auto Connect

If you're still having trouble getting connected, please send me an email to support@liine.net

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Kapture Pad
We're thrilled to see such a positive response to Kapture Pad. We've already submitted an update to improve Wi-Fi communication, fix some small bugs and add a couple of features. This should be available very soon. Thank you for all the early support!

Griid
iPad 2 owners: We are aware of the layout issues with Griid. We've already submitted an update to the App Store which fixes this. The update should be available very soon.

digid

Post by digid » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Finally(!) got Kapture Pad and my MacBook Pro to talk each other ("force quitting" the app from the iPhone solved it).

However, I'm a bit disappointed the global snapshot doesn't remember something as trivial as the transpose setting for clips/samples on a track? Is this a bug?

In fact, it doesn't remember any adjustments made to a specific clip/sample on a track.
Listen to my lovely electroacoustics on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/digidada

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:12 pm

digid wrote:Finally(!) got Kapture Pad and my MacBook Pro to talk each other ("force quitting" the app from the iPhone solved it).

However, I'm a bit disappointed the global snapshot doesn't remember something as trivial as the transpose setting for clips/samples on a track? Is this a bug?

In fact, it doesn't remember any adjustments made to a specific clip/sample on a track.
Very glad to hear you got it working! That's a really cool idea about saving the clip settings like transpose. We now have a new entry on the feature wishlist. :-)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:53 am

I've been trying to figure out why kapture hasn't worked on some VSTs I have loaded and I finally figured out that it doesn't seem to kapture any devices within racks. This is really too bad. Is that live limitation? Otherwise it works great and is very easy to use.
Professional Shark Jumper.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:18 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I've been trying to figure out why kapture hasn't worked on some VSTs I have loaded and I finally figured out that it doesn't seem to kapture any devices within racks. This is really too bad. Is that live limitation? Otherwise it works great and is very easy to use.
Ableton only just added the ability to access devices inside racks with the upcoming 8.2.2 update. This app has been in the works since before we knew this would be possible.
And although its possible, it would have to be able to store/recall potentially a couple of thousand parameters at once. Doing a smooth recall like that will be challenge.

ST8

Post by ST8 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:32 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I've been trying to figure out why kapture hasn't worked on some VSTs I have loaded and I finally figured out that it doesn't seem to kapture any devices within racks. This is really too bad. Is that live limitation? Otherwise it works great and is very easy to use.
It does work with racks but you need to be running the live beta
Last edited by ST8 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:36 am

ST8 wrote:It does work with racks but you need to be running the live beta
You're an API wizard :D

Those speed improvements mentioned in the latest beta, are they noticeable in python projects too?

ST8

Post by ST8 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:40 am

hoffman2k wrote:

Those speed improvements mentioned in the latest beta, are they noticeable in python projects too?
The pyton api was always significantly quicker than m4l ;) It works pretty well, even with quite complex racks. I must admit ive not tested the speed difference in the latest beta, i expect its just a m4l improvement.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:47 am

ST8 wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:

The pyton api was always significantly quicker than m4l ;) It works pretty well, even with quite complex racks. I must admit ive not tested the speed difference in the latest beta, i expect its just a m4l improvement.
Cool. I think they're about on par now in terms of speed. I hoped they just cranked the overall thing up. Never hurts to have more speed :)

Cheers,

- Bjorn

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:17 pm

ST8 wrote:
It does work with racks but you need to be running the live beta
D'oh! Of course. Nice work, cheers.

So when you save a bank, can it be used again when you close and open a set? Or would youu have to make a track with clip names with the snapshot names if you wanted tp preserve snapshots?
Professional Shark Jumper.