Liine iPad Ableton controllers: Griid In-App purchases

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fx23

Re: Griid/Cliip- iPad controller lets you get INSIDE clips

Post by fx23 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:14 pm

i was thinking myself of maybe make that matrix to toggle to encoders idea, but then there would be all around screen edges
some squares that apear as kind of border with the shortcuts to menu/presets to let room for encoders.
(as the menus won't need relative stuff and make kind of security limit for the inside encoders).
if i well understood it's what ze2be has in mind too, find this interesting..

yeah touch interfaces bring lot of new ergonomic, worflow reflexions, that's really interesting.

@ze2be, thx, i have let it down for a while but latest version start to be not bad ;)
But i don't have the hardware like lucky you guys :twisted: that's so long,
im waiting an eventual ipad with wireless hdmi, i need to stay on pc :roll:

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:17 pm

NICKBUGAYEV wrote:
What about flip-up window hot keys in the corners, similare to Lives gui?
But you could have other stuff there, like this:

Top right corner: clip grid/clip notes
Bottom right corner: device control show/hide
Bottom left corner: mixer show/hide
Top left corner: transport, nudge, tempo and all that on top of Abletons gui: show/hide

Inside Cliip it could have similar corner hide/show functions.

:)
Ah ha! You mean similar to the velocity area in Cliip?

One thing I love about iPad controllers is that because it's software, it's infinitely reconfigurable. I guess the same way VSTs is like "one machine with hundreds of sound producing bits of software", the multitouch screen is essentially software.. Bbecause this is all relatively new territory (we have been using the mouse + keyboard + display screen paradigm for decades!) it has yet to be defined what's the best way to navigate with your fingers. Which also makes developing controllers so exciting in this climate! hehe, in any case, yeah, I like the idea of specific directions for specific objects. :-)

Out of curiosity, is the iPad your first multitouch device, were you a Lemur user before?
Hi! Ive edited what youve just quoted. I had left and right wrong, hehe.

My iPhone is my first multitouch device. Im using Nano Studio, and Live Control, plus a lot of other stuf on it. Waiting to see if iPad 2 will show up..
About the corner show/hide hot keys: I dont know what spesific to put there, just thought it could be cool to mimic Abletons gui :P
Last edited by ze2be on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:23 pm

NICKBUGAYEV wrote: This is really cool if you have space on all sides of the encoder, BUT unusable if the encoder is up against an edge of the iPad screen. Does that make sense?
Ah yeah, I get you now :)
You kinda have 2 "dead zones", even when mapping increase/decrease redundant on both x- and y-axis (in case of a knob).
But then again, I believe there are ways to lock the finger to the rotary-parts of the knob (e.g. TouchOSC http://www.soundshifter.de/podcast/wp-c ... uchosc.png )
so you dont have to neccessarily get out of the touch-surface to turn around the knob/encoder.
In terms of implementation I could think of 2 methods to "touch" a knob which would both be intuitiv.. first of course in a radian way by touching the knob and moving the angle around the knob, the second would be by touching the knob and moving the finger in 2 intuitiv dimensions (correct me if im wrong here: increase := x+ / y+ and decrease := x- / y- )

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:31 pm

ze2be wrote:My iPhone is my first multitouch device. Im using Nano Studio, and Live Control, plus a lot of other stuf on it. Waiting to see if iPad 2 will show up..
About the corner show/hide hot keys: I dont know what spesific to put there, just thought it could be cool to mimic Abletons gui :P
I really can't wait to unveil what we're working on next then. :D

Expect to see interesting new navigation methods in 2011

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:43 pm

NICKBUGAYEV wrote:I really can't wait to unveil what we're working on next then. :D

Ill tell you one thing: folks like you makes it increasingly harder to hold out for iPad 2. Might have to get the first version if the nr.2 delays to much. :)

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:58 pm

ze2be wrote:
NICKBUGAYEV wrote:I really can't wait to unveil what we're working on next then. :D

Ill tell you one thing: folks like you makes it increasingly harder to hold out for iPad 2. Might have to get the first version if the nr.2 delays to much. :)
heheh glad to hear that, iPad Ableton Live controllers FTW :-)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:48 am

NICKBUGAYEV wrote: Ok, not 100% sure I'm getting your idea but this is what I'm taking away from your description:

- Full screen grid of encoders.
- Press an encoder then drag (either up/down, left/right, or circular) to change the value. Value is changed relative to start point, meaning you can press the encode, move left and it brings down the value in Ableton (whether mixer device or whatever). There is no "absolute point".

This is really cool if you have space on all sides of the encoder, BUT unusable if the encoder is up against an edge of the iPad screen. Does that make sense?
I agree, circular rotary style encoders that work as drag up/down are not good on ipad for this reason. They are limited to where they can be placed. And having to go in a circular motion is just silly. It only makes sense on a hardware knob. The best way to have parameters on a touch screen is faders for all controls. If you check out TouchAble you'll notice that all the selected device parameter controls are faders. There is actually a view that has 32 faders on just half the screen and it works beautifully. I would suggest the same style.

By the way, the clip functionality looks amazing. I will probably buy it just for that. Using an APC40 along with this for the clip sequencing will be amazing. The clip piano roll is reason enough to buy this! Next up following that would clip envelopes. If you could draw clip envelopes into the clips that would be heaven...

Am I right that there is currently no mixer functionality (levels, sends etc) and no selected device controls?
Professional Shark Jumper.

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:29 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote: By the way, the clip functionality looks amazing. I will probably buy it just for that. Using an APC40 along with this for the clip sequencing will be amazing. The clip piano roll is reason enough to buy this! Next up following that would clip envelopes. If you could draw clip envelopes into the clips that would be heaven...
If you want to get Cliip, remember it's at a low low holiday price for a limited time now.. ;)
Am I right that there is currently no mixer functionality (levels, sends etc) and no selected device controls?
Not *yet*, we focused on other things first... but there's more to come!

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:10 am

How about scale lock (quantize), Random, Skip and Jump, Back and forward etc. in the melodic sequencer?

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:27 am

RajahP wrote:How about scale lock (quantize), Random, Skip and Jump, Back and forward etc. in the melodic sequencer?
Scale lock: We already have fine/snap mode which lets you edit note start and note length either exactly on the grid (snap mode) or anywhere in between (fine mode). Is that what you mean?

Random: How do you imagine this to work? You mean generate a random number of notes on random pitches at random times? Or just randomize the pitches of existing notes?

Skip and Jump: Stuff like this could be possible with moving the playhead around, or moving loopmarkers. Interesting idea!

Back and Forward: I'm afraid we can't have the playhead moving backward. Cliip is not an independant step sequencer, it's literally a representation of a MIDI Clip. The playhead simply follows the Ableton Live playmarker and reflects it on the iPad. If Ableton Live was able to play MIDI clips backwards, so would Cliip. :-)

Thanks for the feedback!!

Nick

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:39 am

So is it in the realm of possibilities to be able to one day draw clip envelopes as well within griid/cliip?

And cliip isn't a separate app right? I buy griid pro and get it all?
Professional Shark Jumper.

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:51 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:So is it in the realm of possibilities to be able to one day draw clip envelopes as well within griid/cliip?
Drawing clip envelopes from a controller is simply not possible with the Live API at the moment. Will keep our thinking caps on about this one nevertheless. ;)
And cliip isn't a separate app right? I buy griid pro and get it all?
You buy Griid Pro, you get Cliip for free! Doesn't get much better than that!!

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:34 am

This does offer quite a bit more control of piano rolls than their LiveControl template set for TouchOsc.

This looks to be a great app for jotting down ideas.
As far as live performance if you do any knob tweaking? This currently offers nothing...

Ideally, this would have the rest of the features that LiveControl has. :(

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:47 am

shuutobi wrote:This does offer quite a bit more control of piano rolls than their LiveControl template set for TouchOsc.

This looks to be a great app for jotting down ideas.
As far as live performance if you do any knob tweaking? This currently offers nothing...

Ideally, this would have the rest of the features that LiveControl has. :(
There's lots of solutions out there for knob tweaking [we certainly have our favourites!!], Cliip certainly accompanies any of those perfectly!

Of course if you want to wait for more modules, we have lots of stuff coming up.. but why miss out now? ;)

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:28 am

Is there any way of getting Griid Pro to work on a MacPro without a wireless card (i didn't have one installed), I use TouchOSC without making an ad-hoc wireless network. The MacPro has two Ethernet ports which I have connected to my wireless router.