KRKS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GDOGG

KRKS

Post by GDOGG » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:44 am

I'm planning on buying a pair of KRK RP5 G2 Monitors but wondered if any one knows if i can hook them up directly to my macbook pro. Watched a few videos of people setting them up and they seem to run them through either sound cards or mixers. I'm planning on getting a mixer as well for more of a live setup but want to know if i can simply plug them into the audio jack in my laptop for say when im producing

Any advice?
http://soundcloud.com/jgrrr
For the gearslutz:13.5 Macbook Pro, Ableton Live, Behringer DDM4000, Allen & Heath Xone K2 x 2, Novation Launchpad, Akai LPD8, KRK Rokit 5s, M-Audio Firewire, Vestax VCM 600, Alesis Q49 Keyboard, Sennheiser HD205s

stansharpe

Re: KRKS

Post by stansharpe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:53 am

i think you could you'd just need to get one of these cables.Image
3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 2 6.35mm Mono Audio Cable

stansharpe

Post by stansharpe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:56 am

I have these speakers myself . haven't tried myself but im sure it would work. I havent got the cables or id let you know for sure. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't

ianf39

Post by ianf39 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:19 pm

yep thats all you need, I have the RP6's and I've run them straight from my macbook and from my iphone no problems. The only thing about it is if you're switching from your comp to plugged into your audio interface or mixer for recording monitors the levels will be a little different, you might have to adjust the speakers in the back. When you get a mixer or audio interface you'll plug the speakers straight into that with Left and Right 1/4" cables instead of into the macbook so the sound output from your computer will have changed. But for playing songs from itunes you can plug it in with one of those

GDOGG

Post by GDOGG » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks for the replies

Would these plug into the RCA unbalanced port or the TRS balanced port?
http://soundcloud.com/jgrrr
For the gearslutz:13.5 Macbook Pro, Ableton Live, Behringer DDM4000, Allen & Heath Xone K2 x 2, Novation Launchpad, Akai LPD8, KRK Rokit 5s, M-Audio Firewire, Vestax VCM 600, Alesis Q49 Keyboard, Sennheiser HD205s