Session Drums Organization

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JoshR

Session Drums Organization

Post by JoshR » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:05 pm

So session drums has a bunch of racks, each with a single sample. For instance, "old school stick" rack.
I am wondering if the "old school" samples are in a single rack anywhere? I noticed that there are some audio files of snares being hit at different velocities in the "old school stick" folder. If I want to create a drum rack containing all of these old school snare samples, do I have to manually do this? I thought a major point of drum racks was to collect samples in one place.

Thanks,

Josh

theophilus

Re: Session Drums Organization

Post by theophilus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Not sure what you are looking at, but... if you look in Drum Racks, Kits, you should have a kit called Kit-OldSchool-Stick, which is a complete drum kit.

Keep in mind that session drums is kind of weird the way the samples are organized... yes, the oldschool snare is only a single wave file (well, per articulation - i.e. Snare-OldSchool-Stick has a folder in it Hit, which contains a single sample Session Drums Old School - Hit.aif). But if you pull up the instrument for the snare, it actually has 78 sample layers. All 78 samples are in that wave file, and for each layer, they just use sample start/end to pick the part they want (39 velocity layers each for L/R stick hit). Strange but it works.

If you want to mix and match from different drum kits, there are multiple ways to do it, but the best way is pull up one of the prebuilt drum kits, and then drag the folder for the new snare you want onto the drum rack. It will replace the old chain and all the sub-articulations.

JoshR

Re: Session Drums Organization

Post by JoshR » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:56 pm

I hadn't looked at the kits. Thanks Theophilus.