How much time do you spend on your music in an average week?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Ill Frequencies

How much time do you spend on your music in an average week?

Post by Ill Frequencies » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:52 am

I find it can be a bit hard with full time work so,
At least 1 hour a day after work and on weekends about 5 hours each day.
Approximately 15 hours all up, would like more time but thats about the best I can do.
I'm still quite new to the whole production thing so most of this time is watching tutorials, reading forums and articles and producing

What about you???

macmurphy

Re: How much time do you spend on your music in an average week?

Post by macmurphy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:28 am

it changes all the time. sometimes loads, sometimes none at all.

i've found that not doing any music can be as productive as a whole week doing nothing but music -
when i come back to it i have a different perspective and try things i've been thinking about in my time away,
things i wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:31 am

Depends on workload in the office.
More or less 1 hour a day plus 4 hours in weekends or public holidays...

- Best
- Pasha
Apple iMac 2013 / Macbook Late 2012
Live 10 Suite,Zebra ,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:45 am

I'm trying to finish my master's thesis on social sciences so I've got plenty of time for music :D

Otherwise I wouldn't have very much time, 'cause of my family (wife + two kids) and a part time job.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:33 am

Rationalizer wrote:I wouldn't have very much time, 'cause of my family (wife + two kids)
Honestly mate .. I'm a walking zombie fitting it all in.. but I do and will and NOTHING gets in the way.. |it can't.... dosen't win me any friends though.. and tbh my social life apart from gigs is completely screwed... WTF I'm happy!!! :mrgreen: Sleep is for pussies!!!

Hd

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:18 am

1-6 hours a day.
Depends on the mood..
My social life has gone straight to hell.
You people are my only friends :cry:

Laurens48711

Post by Laurens48711 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:48 am

About 8 hours a day, almost everyday, except for social birthdays, christmas, summerholiday and all those means to keep a social life.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:55 am

Up and down here too. Sometimes I get dead serious and do a 60h music week belly full of coffee. Sometimes I dont touch Live for 2 weeks.

I tend to think that behing in front of the computer is more productive though..!!

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:19 am

it depends really how motivated i am after work, but i do try to spend at least 10 hours a week, if possible.

Wunjo

Post by Wunjo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:59 pm

I seriously have girlfriend problems because of this. I am a single dad and I work a fulltime job as a designer and go to college fulltime for my engineering degree. So when I get home my girlfriend wants me to spend time with her and I love to but I sit here at work all day and research new techniques or get ideas about something and I stare at the clock waiting to get off only to go home to job number 3,4,etc.. It sucks but it's life. One of the most valuable lessons i've learned as a musician is: No matter how much time you have to make music, you CANNOT schedule creativity. It either comes or it doesn't. So the best way to alleviate this is to have your studio ready to go at any minute and have an understanding girlfriend who lets you do your drug when you get that urge. And I tell her, "At least i'm not sitting around wanting to play Xbox all day or some shit.." Sorry I just had to get that out haha.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:15 pm

I definitely have a love hate relationship with music. Some weeks I will 20 or 25 hours and others I will spend 0. It depends if I am on a roll or not.

Ill Frequencies

Post by Ill Frequencies » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 am

What do you guys spend most of your time doing?
I'm still quite new to music production so I spend a lot of time finding decent tutorials and reading forums etc...
Not a lot of time actually producing until I find some decent tutorials.
I don't really like playing around on live for hours and really achieving nothing :p
Quality not quantity...?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:06 am

Not enough!

But from next week - full time :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 am

Also Up and Down here. At the moment making music is very rare, as I do not have very much time.
So maximum 2h between and perhaps 4 around at the weekends. Of course I would like to spend more!

I also find that forcing oneself to make musik is not a good choice. As lon gas you do not do it as a main job, its better to rest a while, when inspiration is at a minimum. Often nothing good comes out when you don't have fun and that is mostly because you aren't inspired for things.
So a rest can be inspiring!
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:53 am

Ill Frequencies wrote:I don't really like playing around on live for hours and really achieving nothing :p
Quality not quantity...?
Are you really achieving nothing?
I would have thought you would have been gaining working knowledge... what you like or don't like about Live etc...

And is quality not the result of quantity? Sure every now and then someone looks down at their feet and finds a $20 bill, but most of the time you got moove a lot of rock to find some gold.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller