Tassman 4

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hussey

Tassman 4

Post by hussey » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Looking to pick up some software for Christmas. I picked up Audiomulch and looking to compliment it with something a bit different. I was looking at Tassman and it seems like an excellent piece of software. I notice that it has over 50 synthesizers and something like 1000 presets. Is it possible to create sounds from scratch, or is it just a matter of finding a preset and tweaking? I don't usually use presets, so that's why I ask. I see it's possible to create your own devices aswel. Is anyone using this software?

P.S. I'm into making sounscapes, avant-garde etc..

Thank you.

MacGuffin

Re: Tassman 4

Post by MacGuffin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:44 pm

it's excellent for weird music. It's modular so you can make things from scratch... even use it as an effect, filter, etc.. for audio.

zenke

Post by zenke » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:45 pm

I don't mean to be rude but have you even looked at the AAS Tassman site. Its pretty clear what it is if you look!

luddy

Post by luddy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:54 pm

I have it and don't use it as much as I should. I ran into a few minor bugs with it but overall it is really well put together. It's modular but at a higher level than, say, Max or Reaktor, so it's easier IMO to cobble new stuff together. There are some killer presets in there. I'm not a preset fan but I'm really impressed with some of their presets, they are very nice starting points. The interface is not my favorite, but it's workable. It's pretty good software.

-Luddy

hussey

Post by hussey » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:01 pm

zenke wrote:I don't mean to be rude but have you even looked at the AAS Tassman site. Its pretty clear what it is if you look!
Yes, I have, but I much rather get an honest opinion about the product from people who have used the software.

zenke

Post by zenke » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Well OK but that does not seem to be your question. You were asking 'Is it possible to create sounds from scratch, or is it just a matter of finding a preset and tweaking?' That is clear from the web site.
However if you are asking what peoples views on it are and is it a worthwhile piece of software for the sort of music you do. then different question.
so I will amswer that.

I have had it since it first came out and it is certainly better now than it was. It has developed VERY slowly and desperately needs an overhaul. I have spoken with AAS about this. Seems that they got involved in making versions of there other software for Ableton.

Anyway my opinion is that it is a very useful instrument for experimental and weird sounds. I love it. Its easier than other softwares to programme. eg reaktor, Max/msp etc but it needs time spent to learn it.
It sometimes is confusing because it does not use the standard oscillator filter amplifier system of analogue synthesis.
If you like Audio mulch then you will like tassman. If you havn't got Reaktor though get that first is my advice. That gives you much more wierdness and little need to learn to programme if you are not into that.

and no you don't have to use presents, its very tweakable and programmable

Have fun

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:56 pm

Also: it sounds pretty darn good by golly

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:20 pm

IMO Tassmans main trump card is all the physical modeling modules in there. Reaktor has some, but Tassman just does it better. I think they're very different beasts in every way. More likely to build a hybrid flute/string thing in Tassman, and more likely to build a granular synthesis device in Reaktor.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:51 pm

yes, reaktor is much much better for sampling based stuff.
but for analogue sounding filters, tassman blows reaktor out of the water!
It really depends how you work and what kind of sound you are after.