Stop recording and start the clip at the same time

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
matheo

Stop recording and start the clip at the same time

Post by matheo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:05 pm

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know how to stop the recording on an audio clip and start it to play immediatly, and of course, with quantization activated.

ex:
A 1-bar-long beat is running on Audio track1.
On audio track2, I start recording a gimmick the guy at the bass is doing. I want to start the recording at the beginning of the bar and end it at the end of the bar, so I use the quantization.
My problem is that I do not know how to do so that the recorded clip start to play at the same time the record is stopped, and all this with correctly quantizated.

Any idea?
Toshiba P10, RME Multiface, UC-33, Kaoss-PAD

www.175workshop.com - The down side of Nu-jazz

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:04 pm

you hit the play button on the recording clip. time it so, if you are set to quantize to bar, it will stop recording and start playback at the begining of the next bar. the only thing you have to keep straight in your head is how many bars you have recorded and make sure that works in relation to what the person is playing. i do this all day long in live 4 and it is super easy.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:09 pm

to expand on that a little let's say your beat is running and you want to record a new clip of bass, let's say he is playing a 2 bar bassline and starts playing as soon as you press start on your beat.

(all in session view and assuming global quantize is 1 bar)

if he starts on 1:1:1 then at 3:1:1 he is going to start over (he is doing a 2 bar thingy remember)

sooooooo somewhere right before 3:1:1 you want to activate recording to a new clip on his track.

you want to hit the play button on that new clip right before 5:1:1

at 5:1:1 the new bass clip will stop recording and start playback and have a 2 bar loop of what he was playing.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

matheo

Post by matheo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:34 pm

Hi ejectorset,

In fact, this is exactly what I currently do... but when I press (through my UC33) the play button of the clip, it only stops the record (at 5:1:1), but the playback does not start... So I have to wait just right before 7:1:1 to press again the clip play button.

If it works for you, it means that I did not configured LIVE correctly (perhaps because I work with quantization=1/4).

In any case, it's nice to know that it is supposed to work. I will have a deeper look in the manual...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:43 pm

yeah I dunno, I usually just use my touchpad/button on my ibook to start/playback new clips.

i dont tend to assing them to midi triggers until they are recorded.

it could be the quantization, I leave mine at 1 bar then when I need to I just change the clip quantization for any particular clip to what I need.

i looked in the preferences and don't see anything that should mess it up and tested it out just now using an empty clip assigned to a key on my qwerty to start record/stop record with playback and it worked right.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:47 pm

i just tried this and it seemed to work

make a new empty row which is where ur clip will be recorded.

remove the stop button for every column/track on that row except the one for the track u wish to record.

when your clip is recording and when you want it to play, press the "play scene" button (little play button that plays everything on the whole row on the right hand side)..

this SEEMED to play the clip at end of record, cant test more as i have to rush out somewhere...

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:49 pm

yeah it should work without using scenes too, i dont even much bother with scenes.

matheo

Post by matheo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:21 pm

OK,

I will try tonight (this afternoon for you...).

Thanks again

mexique1

Post by mexique1 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:26 pm

maybe try Tape it, somebody said it was nice to do this on another forum :)
RS7000 >> Live 4.1.4 >> Virus B
Desktop : Win XP Pro SP1, E-MU 1212M
Laptop : Win XP Pro SP2, M-Audio FW410

matheo

Post by matheo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:27 pm

I found it!

My problem came from the fact that my default launch mode was Toggle: the second hit stopped both the record and the playback.

In Trigger mode, the second click only stops the recording.

Thanks for your help guys!

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:06 pm

awesome, glad it works, that is one of the feature i most like about using live.