more then 8 makro knobs in Instrument rack for plugin

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
de wouzer

more then 8 makro knobs in Instrument rack for plugin

Post by de wouzer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:19 pm

I have NI maschine and I want to control the makro knobs with my apc 40

so I create an instrument rack to have these 8 knobs to autoconnect ableton with apc 40

But there are 64 knobs I want to use.

and in this instrument rack I can only connect 8 knobs

so how can I connect the others?

I hope you understand my question, if not please ask
I hope someone can help me with this.

regards Wouter
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8

de wouzer

Re: more then 8 makro knobs in Instrument rack for plugin

Post by de wouzer » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:19 pm

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=125869\

this is what someone tells me at the NI forum.
Unfortunately I don't really understand it

someone can help me with this?
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:29 am

Its not possible. Either you connect to the instrument and use Automap (blue hand) to control its first 64 parameters (in groups of 8). Or you use the 8 Macros. Or MIDI Learn...

de wouzer

Post by de wouzer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:57 pm

Or MIDI Learn...
I can do this midi learn and I want to combine that with modifiers... so I press on a track select of a certain track... and I combine the 8 knobs with 8 knobs of maschine.

But I have a problem with the patch when I use Midi map.
"because when I manually midi map a knob to apc, my apc is not working on the same way anymore. (my track select is not working anymore)"

So then I need a different patch.
Do I need "Max4life" to use a different patch?
Or can I use a different patch with

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:47 pm

I'm a bit confused what Mashine has to do with all this. Max for Live won't help here much. Unless you're keen on doing some programming.

I also don't understand what you mean with "patch". If you mean APC script, there are a few out there that might have the features you require. But at the moment nothing will let you automap 64 parameters of a device inside a rack.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:54 pm

I guess a combination of this setup and stray's macrobat script (the midicc part) should do what you want.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:03 am

Hold back with the python scripts & max overkill.

If I understand his posts here and on the NI forum all he wants to do is control 64 parameters of a vst with his apc's knobs.

de wouzer: Forget about midilearn, forget about racks. To control more parameters you need to load the machine vst onto the track and use Live's configure more to select the 64 parameters you want to control.
Now if you select the vst you can use (shift+) the 8 bank select buttons below the device control knobs to switch between them.
Shift + "1 - Clip/Track" makes the knobs control parameters 1-8
Shift + "2 - Device On/OFF" makes them control parameters 9-16
Shift + "8 - Metronome" controls 57-64

de wouzer

Post by de wouzer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:55 pm

Dexes wrote:Hold back with the python scripts & max overkill.

If I understand his posts here and on the NI forum all he wants to do is control 64 parameters of a vst with his apc's knobs.

de wouzer: Forget about midilearn, forget about racks. To control more parameters you need to load the machine vst onto the track and use Live's configure more to select the 64 parameters you want to control.
Now if you select the vst you can use (shift+) the 8 bank select buttons below the device control knobs to switch between them.
Shift + "1 - Clip/Track" makes the knobs control parameters 1-8
Shift + "2 - Device On/OFF" makes them control parameters 9-16
Shift + "8 - Metronome" controls 57-64
Unfortunately I don't understand this.

I think my problem is that if I start midi mapping, my APC reacts a little strange. I see different mappings on the internet..... how can I define my own midi output for the APC? De I need MAX for that?

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:38 am

Isn't controlling 64 parameters via 8 banks of the 8 Device Control knobs a standard function of the APC40 anyway?

If you want to order them how you want though, surely you can just MIDI map all 64 onto the 8 banks?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 am

You just need to not use a rack. Use just the device (unracked) and hit the configure button to set the order of the parameters you want. Then you can use all 64 on the APC40 when the device is selected. Or if you must rack it, you'll have to press the device > button to go to the next device which takes you to the first device in a rack.
Professional Shark Jumper.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:44 am

I just configured the macro buttons in Maschine in Live. Have Maschine send each group to a seperate track in Live with external instruments. As these can't control Maschine's macro knobs, this only works on the first Maschine track. So you can play group B to H via Midi seperatly but if you want to control the macro knobs you have to do this on the first track.

I uploaded my Maschine track here. Just drag it to your session view.

home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

kotzer

Post by kotzer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:14 pm

@ glitchrock-buddha:

You just need to not use a rack. Use just the device (unracked) and hit the configure button to set the order of the parameters you want. Then you can use all 64 on the APC40 when the device is selected. Or if you must rack it, you'll have to press the device > button to go to the next device which takes you to the first device in a rack.
---

Hi, i thought you had the solutin to my problem too i want to control 32 parameters in fromone device with the apc.SO i followed your idea of selecting wich parameters i want in woch order. this took quite some time but now i run into another challenge: onlye the first 8 work. if i press the 'device->' button it will jump out of the vst parameterset, so it seems like i can still only control the first 8.
i guess you dont mean midi mapping them do you?

thanks!

kotzer

Post by kotzer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:46 am

:oops:

problem solved (offcourse) it was the shift-> button combination to come to all te parameters.
thanks for the idea! it was what i was looking for

:)