Operator (live upgrade) vs Lennar digital Sylenth1

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deathbynumbers

Operator (live upgrade) vs Lennar digital Sylenth1

Post by deathbynumbers » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi all,

Any help on the following question?

I have Live 8 and want to make dark, rasping, elastic synth basses and bleeps for drum and bass (Ed rush, spor etc.), dub step, electro etc. What would be the best upgrade- the price seems to be the same (around £150), but I guess the live upgrade has all the other plugs in too like analog etc.

Any advice on which is more suited to the sounds I want?

Cheers

jonesonyou

Re: Operator (live upgrade) vs Lennar digital Sylenth1

Post by jonesonyou » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:42 pm

deathbynumbers wrote:Hi all,

Any help on the following question?

I have Live 8 and want to make dark, rasping, elastic synth basses and bleeps for drum and bass (Ed rush, spor etc.), dub step, electro etc. What would be the best upgrade- the price seems to be the same (around £150), but I guess the live upgrade has all the other plugs in too like analog etc.

Any advice on which is more suited to the sounds I want?

Cheers
search for a thread about "what you would have done differently" a whole list of peoples gear softs, and what they would have bought instead if they could go back and do it all over again.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:36 pm

OK, I have both operator and Sylenth1 and IMHO both are way overpriced (I got sylength1 in a group buy so Im very happy with it for the price I paid, and operator as part of suite, so its ok for the part price paid).

As for which to go for, I would sugggests sylenth1 without any doubt at all unless you are a wizard at programming FM synths and especially have a high tolerance for ableton instrument UIs which to me allways seem a bit like doing keyhole surgery with a mouse.

Operator is actually very very good after you have invested alot of time into it and getting familar with the approach for FM synthesis - though with all the wave forms is pretty decent. Great for soft bases, electro kicks etc. But fr me - I like analog type synths, its what I know, so I find sylnth1 way way more useful generally and there are some really good patch sets around for it.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Geebag

Post by Geebag » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Go with the discounted suite upgrade. Better value and cheaper upgrade path in the future. Once you learn Analog and Operator you will be able to get some decent sounds out of them.

Sylenth1 is great also but you would get so much more with the suite upgrade.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Operator is one of the best synths I have ever come across for crazy Bass sounds.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:04 pm

Not sure how much of Live you own, but if upgrading to Suite is close to the same price as getting a soft synth alone definitely go for the upgrade to Suite.

Operator is one of my all time favorite synths. It does a lot, but it does Bass better, richer, fatter, than most others. My only complaint about it is Live does not allow storing presets like most other soft synths. Ableton's idea of presets, is hot swapping :( . Sometimes I love the way the UI is simplified and sometimes I agree with Khazul that it seems small. Hopefully we will see better preset storing and recalling for all Live devices in the near future. So that is another reason I would consider upgrading to Suite.

Besides if you dont already have Sampler/Analog/etc etc..you will be getting those too.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:17 am

Imho Deffo Suite by a looong way ... and I love Sylenth and use it a lot.. but as the other guys have said you'll be getting soo much more for your money... This is of course, if you are happy working with Live, as you know Sylenth can be used as a 3rd party instrument in other DAWS, whereas Suite instruments cannot.

Hd