processor upgrade, from 4 cores to 6 cores - will it matter?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Tone Deft

Re: processor upgrade, from 4 cores to 6 cores - will it matter?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:05 pm

koranek wrote:From what I understand, Live divides cpu core load based on tracks. Track 1 gets core 1, track 2 gets core 2, etc. until you run out of cores and then Live adds the next track to core 1, the one after that to core 2, etc.
nope. Live only supports two cores.

what you'll see is Live running faster and smoother but it's because you can run more apps at once, spread across the cores. the background stuff that was interfering with Live will now be on other cores and Live will continue to use two cores just like before.

going from a dual core to a faster 6 core everything ran pretty much the same but I can do more at once and leave stuff open. biggest thing was that latency went way down without even trying.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, guitars, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

koranek

Post by koranek » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Ooops - sorry. I thought I read somewhere on the forum that Live used the available cores. I guess that makes processor speed even more important.
Licensed Counselor
johnkoranekcounseling.com
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

Mac Pro 3.33 Ghz 6 core Xeon, 32 G ram, OS 10.12.6
Push 2
Novation Impulse
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 10 Sweet

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:38 pm

no problem. I could be wrong too, we have the same source of info and can miss a detail over time.

also makes true multi-core support a nice request.

in talking with a tech savvy friend he says the bottleneck for modern home computers is the RAM interface. no matter how many cores you have running at whatever rate they all access the same RAM which can only handle so many requests at once.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, guitars, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

fl0w

Post by fl0w » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:08 pm

What koranek said.

My i7 is overkill when composing, but when I'm finalizing a track with a CHAIN of effects, it's on its knees as Live only use one core for the whole chain :/

YILA

Post by YILA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:44 pm

you lot are effect crazy if you max out an i7.

Probably best you buy the new one because you have gear eyes and your not listening.
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

koranek

Post by koranek » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:08 am

Man - I'm still not sure. Did a search for multiprocessor support and after skimming through a lot of stuff, I came away with no real answer.

Dum did propose a test of creating a track with a heavy load and duplicating it and watching the cpu meter change as Live distributed the load.

I tried it with an ACE patch that gave 15% on Lives CPU meter. Each time I duplicated it, it added one or two percent until I got up to 12 tracks at 25%. Adding a thirteenth track boosted Live's meter to 39%.

This kind of makes sense because I have two threads per core. I think that explains it.

OK, so then I tried an Ace patch that hit 55% on Live's meter. Again, each duplicated track added a few percent until I got to 9 tracks. At this point the meter stopped jumping around and leveled off at 74%. Strange, because I would have expected a plug that used so much more cpu with it's preset to add more cpu with each additional instance.

Adding a thirteenth track took it to 89% with no degradation in audio. Adding a 14th track caused the audio to crap out.

I then remembered that Live's cpu meter doesn't really measure cpu usage. So I tried Apple's activity monitor. Basically what I saw as I added tracks was that the activity on each of my 12 threads increased. Basically only Live was running with some system stuff in the background.

Although it doesn't quite make sense, it does look like Live is using all the cores/threads.
Licensed Counselor

Push 2
Novation Impulse
Live 10 Sweet

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:04 pm

Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to figure that out. Cool, a quick upgrade will be a nice boost. Thanks!

YILA

Post by YILA » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:56 pm

good you've ignored everyone and not taken a girl (or boy) out for dinner.
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

koranek

Post by koranek » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Yeah, well there is that...
Licensed Counselor

Push 2
Novation Impulse
Live 10 Sweet

casiblake

Post by casiblake » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:18 pm

morerecords wrote:What are your thoughts? Same processor speed, but from the 4 cores I currently have to 6 core i7 980 processor....

Win 7 and Ableton 8.21

I don't know how Ableton handles the extra cores, or we talking a big difference here?

Thanks for your expertise//

-MR
'Fraid I'm not going to give you a yes or no answer either. Mostly because Intel are around two weeks away from officially launching Sandy Bridge. And that 6-core i7 you're about to purchase will suddenly look like a less useful purchase. Sure, Sandy Bridge would require a motherboard change as well, but maybe it'll bring the prices down on 6-core i7s.

Keep an eye on http://techreport.com and don't buy anything just yet, is my advice!
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:21 pm

yila you were ignored because your comments were negative and most definitely stupid as shit. : )

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:23 pm

casiblake wrote:
morerecords wrote:What are your thoughts? Same processor speed, but from the 4 cores I currently have to 6 core i7 980 processor....

Win 7 and Ableton 8.21

I don't know how Ableton handles the extra cores, or we talking a big difference here?

Thanks for your expertise//

-MR
'Fraid I'm not going to give you a yes or no answer either. Mostly because Intel are around two weeks away from officially launching Sandy Bridge. And that 6-core i7 you're about to purchase will suddenly look like a less useful purchase. Sure, Sandy Bridge would require a motherboard change as well, but maybe it'll bring the prices down on 6-core i7s.

Keep an eye on http://techreport.com and don't buy anything just yet, is my advice!
Thank you mate, that's a good heads up right there. cheers!

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:08 pm

New motherboard, marginal performance improvement until software is recompiled to take advantage of new instructions, or you opt for more cores and the application can use them.

The big improvement will probably be in the server versions towrads end of next year. Waiting might get you a price drop on the current i7.

back tpo the original question - more cores means Live has to compete less with whatever else is going on. Very handy if you need to run another application like traktor, serato, reason etc at the same time sometimes.
Nothing to see here - move along!

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:19 pm

Ill do both, Ill wait a few month for a cheaper 12core, and also when Abelton Live 9 gets dropped Ill go for the Sandy....both sound GREAT and luckily I deal with ADK pro audio so they regularly upgrade my machine, one of the great things about them,...