Broken tweeter on Alesis M1 Active Mk2 speaker.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
funknotik

Broken tweeter on Alesis M1 Active Mk2 speaker.

Post by funknotik » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:26 am

I contacted cust service for Alesis and they basically told me your shit out of luck since it's past the warranty. They advised I find a "third party repair technician." Not sure where to go from here, I'm pretty low on funds and I can afford the replacement tweeter part but I'm not very good with electronics. Any suggestions?
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

Tarekith

Re: Broken tweeter on Alesis M1 Active Mk2 speaker.

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 am

Can you solder? It's a very easy part to replace, just those few screws on the front and a couple wires to solder. If you can't do it, checking the yellowpages for a small electronics repair shop is your best bet, I can't imagine they'd charge that much for it, it's a 5-10 minute job.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:46 pm

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/278982.html appears to be the replacement tweeter.

Alesis is really weird about replacement parts. I tried to get them to send me a knob/PCB for a Micron a while back, and they were out of stock while they were apparently moving their storage factory to a new location or something. After two months they called me and suggested I go through some random online retailer since it was unlikely they'd be able to find the part in a reasonable timeframe. Maybe they are just weird for me. :)

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:24 am

the_planet wrote:http://www.fullcompass.com/product/278982.html appears to be the replacement tweeter.

Alesis is really weird about replacement parts. I tried to get them to send me a knob/PCB for a Micron a while back, and they were out of stock while they were apparently moving their storage factory to a new location or something. After two months they called me and suggested I go through some random online retailer since it was unlikely they'd be able to find the part in a reasonable timeframe. Maybe they are just weird for me. :)
Yeah I received the same sort of weird response. I tried to call and it took song long I'm wondering if there is even a customer service for them. strange... :? I guess I'll check with a local electronics place and see if they can do the work for cheap. I really like these monitors and I've grown used to them.
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:32 pm

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:53 pm

Shit this just happened to me. I couldn't find a replacement tweeter from the link above-does anyone know where else I can go to get a replacement?

As a last resort, any suggestions on completely new monitors? Thinking either something from KRK or Mackie.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

jupebox

Post by jupebox » Fri May 03, 2013 4:37 pm

How did you diagnose the broken tweeter? Was the volume less than the other speaker?

I thought mine broke, but then the volume came back for a few months. I've left them off for a few months, and now no volume again.

Well, I have 50% volume or so. It's very odd that it would start working then not again, right?

What 3rd parties repair Alesis? BestBuy said maybe not when I called.

Joel